PDA

View Full Version : The 9 in a duel?

Sarah S
12-04-2009, 03:56
All of the other Legendary formations composed entirely of heroes (The Three Hunters, Fellowship of the Ring, White Council, Council of Wizardry) have the rule Company of Heroes, which says:
"The X may not take part in a Heroic Duel."

The Nine are Abroad lack this rule.

As such they are able to make, and be the target of heroic duels.

Does that seem crazy at all? With their 9 might, they should be able to clean up in a duel against even the Fight 10 heroes.

Kroot Lord
12-04-2009, 10:45
Yes, that seems to be the case. However, if the Nine are in combat you won't have the ability to cast spells which greatly hinders their playability, and they aren't exactly godly in close combat either, meaning they will probably lose quite a few models in the process.

Against a unit like Treebeard with FV9, if he manages to roll a five or a six the Nazgul will have the use up more than half their Might store to rectify the difference. As soon as their Might has been depleted and you challenge them to another Duel, they will start suffering badly as well considering that the whole company will be taking hits!

Spider-pope
12-04-2009, 11:26
Yes, that seems to be the case. However, if the Nine are in combat you won't have the ability to cast spells which greatly hinders their playability, and they aren't exactly godly in close combat either, meaning they will probably lose quite a few models in the process.

There is never a point where combat will hinder the Ringwraiths ability to cast spells. Spells are cast in the movement phase, if a combat is drawn the units are seperated regardless they dont remain locked together like Warhammer or 40k.

Kroot Lord
12-04-2009, 19:01
Ah, I'm sorry about that part- I assumed that there were certain spells that were to be cast in the Fighting phase, but even then there's still plenty of shooting spells that could have been called upon before combat.

None the less, I still believe that the Nazgul should not be in combat, and often if they do find themselves in combat, they will suffer and lose quite a few models, and in a 500 point unit, that's not something that you really want to risk.

Emissary
13-04-2009, 11:38
All of the other Legendary formations composed entirely of heroes (The Three Hunters, Fellowship of the Ring, White Council, Council of Wizardry) have the rule Company of Heroes, which says:
"The X may not take part in a Heroic Duel."

The Nine are Abroad lack this rule.

As such they are able to make, and be the target of heroic duels.

Does that seem crazy at all? With their 9 might, they should be able to clean up in a duel against even the Fight 10 heroes.

The Nine are abroad aren't a company of heroes. The witch king is the only hero in that particular unit and the witch king has the 9 might. The other 8 ringwraiths in the unit are only infantry and hence can't take part in duels.

Against a unit like Treebeard with FV9, if he manages to roll a five or a six the Nazgul will have the use up more than half their Might store to rectify the difference. As soon as their Might has been depleted and you challenge them to another Duel, they will start suffering badly as well considering that the whole company will be taking hits!

This isn't that big of an issue. The Knight of Umbar allows the formation to copy Treebeard's FV of 9 so they're be going in even. In the duel it would be whoever rolled higher and who got the +1 for the challenge.

Also, you can't use might to make your fight value higher unless you have something like epic strike. Unless you're using an ability you can only use might to modify a dice roll and can't take it over 6. If knight of umbar was dead and the witch king was fighting treebeard. If the witch king rolled a 5 for a total of 11 and treebeard rolled a 4 for a total of 13, the witch king could only spend 1 might to bring his total up to 12, which would still lose the duel by 1.

fubukii
14-04-2009, 17:20
also the 9 have a nice spell that reduces a enemy heroes c and f to 1. :)

Rirekon
14-04-2009, 17:36
The Nine are abroad aren't a company of heroes. The witch king is the only hero in that particular unit and the witch king has the 9 might. The other 8 ringwraiths in the unit are only infantry and hence can't take part in duels.

Really? :eyebrows:
Don't the Nine Abroad gain the advantage of all 9 Wraith abilities until each one of them dies? Need to re-check the entry for it as I can't remember, but I was certainly under the impression it consisted of all 9 Heroes...

Sarah S
14-04-2009, 17:48

Fair enough. They are classed as infantry, and the Witch-King is a hero with 9 might.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that.

Rirekon
14-04-2009, 22:20
Really? :eyebrows:
Don't the Nine Abroad gain the advantage of all 9 Wraith abilities until each one of them dies? Need to re-check the entry for it as I can't remember, but I was certainly under the impression it consisted of all 9 Heroes...

Just checked and you are quite right, wow can't believe I missed that :eek:

takaetun
16-04-2009, 04:42
This isn't that big of an issue. The Knight of Umbar allows the formation to copy Treebeard's FV of 9 so they're be going in even. In the duel it would be whoever rolled higher and who got the +1 for the challenge.
Just making sure, but wouldn't the fact theres only one hero mean that they couldn't use this rule? I don't know of any rule, or lack of rule, allowing or denying the hero the abiltity to use the units special rules? I would've thought it is just the hero, and no special rules as granted by basic infantry.

Emissary
16-04-2009, 20:34
The formation of the 9 states in its rules that it uses the rules for all of the 9 ringwraith heroes and it loses the rules as they're killed off. Hence, the knight of umbar's rules are used by the 9 until he's killed. Since the witch king is part of the formation he will benefit from the rule.