PDA

View Full Version : Skave attack

TAW
12-04-2009, 05:47
My question is , if you attack a skaven heroe's unit from the rear can you designate attacks towards the heroe? And if you only come into base contact with said heroe are you allowed to single the heroe out?

Brother Siccarius
12-04-2009, 05:52
My question is , if you attack a skaven heroe's unit from the rear can you designate attacks towards the heroe? And if you only come into base contact with said heroe are you allowed to single the heroe out?

If the unit is in combat to the rear, the character is placed to the flank or in any rank to where they are not in combat when "Leading from the rear".

havoc626
12-04-2009, 06:34
I disagree with that. If the character had refused a challenge, then he cannot be placed in base contact with an enemy, there is nothing to say, however, that he cannot stay in the rear rank if it is charged.

Say there is a warlord in rear rank of clan rats, which gets charged in the rear and passes the panic check. The warlord has no choice but to stay in base contact with the models, as he cannot move around inside the unit if he is in base contact, one of the restrictions of 'lead from the back'.

I'm not too sure if Siccarius plays Skaven, and the wording can be quite confusing if you don't have the rules in front of you, as how he has explained it is the explaination for a Skaven character refusing a challenge, but I don't see anything in the book that says you must move a character out of the fighting rank if they are leading from the rear, and are charged there.

As for the OP, you can attack the Skaven character just the same as you could attack any other character that you were in base contact with.

knightime98
12-04-2009, 09:24

First, you are not clear at all with your question(s). You mend two or three questions together without details as to the exact situation.

Q: Attacking a unit to the rear with a Skaven Hero in that same rear rank, can you then designate attacks toward that hero.
A: Yes, any model that is in base contact can attack that hero. Provided that the Hero for the Skaven player is not in a challenge.

Q: If a model is in base to base contact ONLY with the Skaven Hero must that model single the Skaven hero out with all their attacks?
A: Yes! You must designate all your attacks toward that model. There is not one else for you to hit. Furthermore, if said model is a rank and file model AND the skaven hero is in a challenge then the rank in file model may not attack at all.

Spirit
12-04-2009, 10:58
If the skaven hero is leading from the back when charged in the rear, you may allocate attacks on him.

If the skaven hero (in the front rank) refused a challenge while the unit is engaged in the rear, he will not be placed in the rear rank, as you must place them in an unengaged rank, so cannot be attacked.

Brother Siccarius
12-04-2009, 16:17
I disagree with that. If the character had refused a challenge, then he cannot be placed in base contact with an enemy, there is nothing to say, however, that he cannot stay in the rear rank if it is charged.

Say there is a warlord in rear rank of clan rats, which gets charged in the rear and passes the panic check. The warlord has no choice but to stay in base contact with the models, as he cannot move around inside the unit if he is in base contact, one of the restrictions of 'lead from the back'.

I'm not too sure if Siccarius plays Skaven, and the wording can be quite confusing if you don't have the rules in front of you, as how he has explained it is the explaination for a Skaven character refusing a challenge, but I don't see anything in the book that says you must move a character out of the fighting rank if they are leading from the rear, and are charged there.

As for the OP, you can attack the Skaven character just the same as you could attack any other character that you were in base contact with.

Actually, it's right in the Rules for Lead from the rear. Page 10 Last two sentences in "Lead from the Back":

Note that if the rear of the unit is engaged in combat, the character has to be placed on the flank, inside the unit, or in any position where it cannot fight. You can never get into base contact with enemies when refusing a challenge
Had the book right in front of me when I answered.

I agree though, as long as no one issues a challenge (As the Skaven player can move a character leading from the back to the fighting rank) the character has to stay in the rear