PDA

View Full Version : Is Nurgel Real?

mfv
16-12-2005, 23:30
At midnight tonight BABALU AYE day will begin. In Africa Babalu Aye was
known as the Lord of Pestilence able to spread disese by throwing sun flower
seads,but he also had the ability to grant resistance to disese.
He was once a man who was cused with eternal soars and plague.
In Cuba African slaves brought thair beliefs and years later a bastardised
version of Afro-Christian beliefs known as Santeria turned him into a saint
of healing also know as St. Lazarus.:skull:

Brother Othorio
16-12-2005, 23:45
i've no idea how much GW copied other than his name & portfolio, but Nergal was the name of the Babylonian god of Pestilence

William_De_Rule
16-12-2005, 23:48
As far as I know Nurgle is based on a Babylonian deity called Nergal, who had a similar function within their cosmology as the chaos deity has within Fantasy/40K. Nergal had another name as well, but I can't remember it and I don't think it was the one you mentioned.

EDIT
Brother Othorio hadn't posted when I started my reply. Damn instantaneous internet!

Latro_
17-12-2005, 02:20
Its posts like these that i like, Random complete gems of trivia. Esp since i'm doing a DG army.

:P

Eulenspiegel
17-12-2005, 11:42
Everyone who has ever been to a Con knows that Nurgle exists.

sigur
17-12-2005, 11:44
...and we love Papa Nurgle.:)

Xander-K
17-12-2005, 13:11
At midnight tonight BABALU AYE day will begin. In Africa Babalu Aye was
known as the Lord of Pestilence able to spread disese by throwing sun flower
seads,but he also had the ability to grant resistance to disese.
He was once a man who was cused with eternal soars and plague.
In Cuba African slaves brought thair beliefs and years later a bastardised
version of Afro-Christian beliefs known as Santeria turned him into a saint
of healing also know as St. Lazarus.:skull:
uhhh? yeah, and your point is?

imrhati
17-12-2005, 13:50
oh yes nurgle exists and that is why we all see zombies wandering our streets and everybody is immune to aids! wow what an idiot!

TheOneWithNoName
17-12-2005, 14:24
Nurgle lives, and he plays at my GW. On second thought everyone who plays at my GW looks like Nurgle, and in some cases, smells like him too. :cheese:

billr
17-12-2005, 15:07
This topic just came up at our local game store a couple of weeks ago. Fun conicidence.

*achoo!!*

DrDoom
17-12-2005, 15:41
oh yes nurgle exists and that is why we all see zombies wandering our streets and everybody is immune to aids! wow what an idiot!

Actually read the post to which you are responding.

The thread title is "Is Nurgel Real?"

The fact is yes, Nurgel (Nergal) was very real to ancient Babylonians, to whom disease was a terrifying reality in every day life. The rest of the post dealt with similiar beleif systems, many of which are still very much alive today (santeria being the best known in the states).

Just cause you don't beleive in it doesn't make it a joke.

Try not to act like a child.

billr
17-12-2005, 16:43
Relax DrDoom. He just cracked a joke. Not necessarily the funniest one of all time, but it's all good.

Eulenspiegel
17-12-2005, 17:49
I think DrDoom like me objects to the insult, not the joke.

Xander-K
17-12-2005, 20:59

The fact is yes, Nurgel (Nergal) was very real to ancient Babylonians, to whom disease was a terrifying reality in every day life. The rest of the post dealt with similiar beleif systems, many of which are still very much alive today (santeria being the best known in the states).

to be fair he probably just thought it was a typo from the thread starter, I certainly did... and the fact that he went on about something completely different in his 1st post made things even more confusing.

I am certain he (imrhati) was making a joke at someone asking if "Nurgle" was real and not the babylonian deity, as that was an actual established religion which has more real life basis.

the question "Is Nurgel Real" actually has nothing to do with wh40k only that Nurgle is based upon, since he was not asking about Nurgle as such then this post shouldn't even be in this thread moreso in the religion and politics thread (if its still here, can't remember off hand).

edit: okay then politics thread isn't here, so the random musings thread would be more appropriate since it is for "intelligent discussion" not necessarily 40k topics.

mfv
17-12-2005, 21:15
Hey sory I posted this in the wrong spot, and sory Iwasn`t
clear with the title.
thanks to those who defended me and to all you haters:p
one more thing I forgot BABALU AYE was who Desi Arnes (forgive spelling)
was singing about from I love Luice:skull:

Latro_
18-12-2005, 12:38

Just cause you don't beleive in it doesn't make it a joke.

Try not to act like a child.

Hehe i had a thought about this. Techincally going back to RT fluff Nurgle etc were all created by the emotions of humans since the dawn of time. So in essence the babylonian reference fits in with actual GW fluff if you see what i mean...

On another seperate note Babylonian history is freaky they knew about planets we'v only just known about in the past 10 years etc... So there might just be a Nurgle. hehe

yea right...

Cheitan Shadowless
18-12-2005, 14:58
On another seperate note Babylonian history is freaky they knew about planets we'v only just known about in the past 10 years etc...Ah, come now - give our astronomers a little more credit than that. :p Pluto was discovered as the last of the planets in 1930 by Clyde Tombaugh...unless of course you were talking about planets orbiting other stars, in which case I'd feel somewhat obliged to deny they knew about such things. That would just be supernatural. :eek:

On topic, disregarding people saying "what an idiot" about hapless thread starters...I'm not entirely sure how you meant the original question, but Nurgle, as a concept, could very well be perceived as "real", insofar as that which he stands for is embodied in certain entities throughout various cultures; such as Nergal and this African deity you refer to. As such, the fear of sickness exists in any culture, since it's a problem no one is exempt from, but likewise, you could claim the other gods of the Chaos pantheon "exist", as concepts and maybe even in the shapes of mythological creatures or gods from ancient cultures. :)

zomg 150th post (on Warseer)

librerian_samae
18-12-2005, 15:06
OFF_TOPIC
*to go a tad offtopic there are actually now Ibelieve at loeast 3 more plantets in our solar system that have beem discovered recently.
Plus it was the Dogons who were reputed to have the astronomical insights not the babalyonians*
RETURNING TO TOPIC

but yes Nurgle acording to the old fluff from rogue trader came about due to the bubonic plague outbreaks of the middle ages if I remeber correctly

Cheitan Shadowless
18-12-2005, 15:29
OFF_TOPIC
*to go a tad offtopic there are actually now Ibelieve at loeast 3 more plantets in our solar system that have beem discovered recently.I think 3 is a bit of an exaggeration, but yes, there was some fuss about a planetoid named Sedna by its discoverers, seemingly orbiting the sun at a distance of 17 billion kilometres. :eyebrows:

This, however, means it is well outside our solarsystem and is no more a planet to our sun than a satellite is a moon to our Earth. The solarsystem ends about eight billion kilometres from the sun, as recorded by the Voyager crafts breaking through the bow shock at said distance. That puts Sedna twice as far away from the sun as the end of the solarsystem, so in my view, it's more than difficult to recognize it as a planet. :(