PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your minis?

Sttucker13
12-04-2009, 08:56
I'm looking to round out my Space Marines and make a large investment in my Orks (~another 3000 points worth) and I've curious where you all do your "bargain shopping". In the past I've always purchased directly from Games Workshop, but this is a rather large purchase and as it'll probably be over a thousand dollars.. (oh, god.. to think what I could have bought with all the money I would have saved if I'd never started this wonderful hobby) I'd like to try and save as much money as possible. Unfortunately most of my googlin' has brought up a few sites with prices exactly the same as GW. I don't really have any interest in buying from non-retail sources (i.e. e-bay or other auction sites) as I'd like to be able to place a complete order in one go.

So do you all make your large bulk purchases direct from GW or do you have a preferred third party vendor?

dblaz3r
12-04-2009, 09:52
I use online sites for sizeable purchases and shop locally for small buys. I have used maelstromgames.co.uk and found the service to be very good. 15% off and free shipping was a good bargain for me. One order did get lost in the post but in the end the order was replaced so I didn't lose out.

Happy shopping with whatever you decide.

CrownAxe
12-04-2009, 09:58
The internet

Sttucker13
12-04-2009, 10:17
The internet
... specific sites would be helpful, if at all possible.

Sttucker13
12-04-2009, 10:20
I use online sites for sizeable purchases and shop locally for small buys. I have used maelstromgames.co.uk and found the service to be very good. 15% off and free shipping was a good bargain for me. One order did get lost in the post but in the end the order was replaced so I didn't lose out.

15% off would be wonderful. That's almost 200 bucks off. I'm currently perusing the web to see if I can find it even cheaper.

Nakor
12-04-2009, 10:23
maelstromgames.co.uk and found the service to be very good. 15% off and free shipping was a good bargain for me. One order did get lost in the post but in the end the order was replaced so I didn't lose out.

this.

i havent seen anywhere that beats these guys for price. in NZ id pay $170 + shipping for a battleforce, from these guys its about $120 INC shipping. always quick to reply to queries, FREE shipping world wide although it is the lowest class of shipping, they will replace anything that gets lost. but after that you have to use insured shipping which costs $$$megabucks$$$ (unless your clever and just make a new account and use a different credit card and send it somwhere else e.g. parents or whatever)

i purchased an order from them and a day later they had a sale, i asked them if they would give me the discount i would have recieved if i had ordered a day later and they gave me store credit to the sum of what i would have saved! so (from my experience) they are really good guys.

A+++

untimention
12-04-2009, 10:26
Agreed with the net, i am from the UK so i cant offer Us sites however just type into google " buy warhammer" or Warhamer stores" some places offer upto 40% off selected lines or have sales.

GW is the most expensive place to buy models (apart from direct only) or if GW do an offer like the web exclusive space marine..

ColonelGreiss
12-04-2009, 10:55
I try to buy as many of my minis at my FLGS as possible, as I play there multiple times a week, and feel its the least i can do to help support them. However if Im making a big purchase, you cant really go wrong with 15% off on 1000.

commander of the marines
12-04-2009, 11:24
in a comic store, the owner is a wondefull guy who gives us a 25% discount no need for online stores

Sttucker13
12-04-2009, 11:34
in a comic store, the owner is a wondefull guy who gives us a 25% discount no need for online stores

That'd be wonderful, especially if he did it on orders placed as well. Considering my local gaming store definitely wont have in stock everything I need, I'll likely do this purchase online as it stands to save me several hundred dollars. I'm already spending more than enough as is, my girl would slaughter me if she knew how little pewter and plastic a handful of cash can buy you. :eyebrows:

SSWG
12-04-2009, 11:58
I get my stuff from http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/

I don't think anyone beats them on price and the service is great.

dodo129
12-04-2009, 12:26
Mainly from my FLGS. Yes, it's way more expensive than anything sensible, but it's such a great resource. They provide gaming tables, terrain, and a great environment; the least I can do is pay 20% more buying from them.

Ravenheart
12-04-2009, 12:30

Damn, that's half the price I pay in the independend store around here. And even that one is about 10% cheaper compared to other stores / GW onlineshop.

TimLeeson
12-04-2009, 12:45
http://www.sylmasta.com/acatalog/Kneadatite_Putties.html

http://www.nigellawton009.com/PayPalCasting.html

:P

Grand Warlord
12-04-2009, 13:52
I typically use the warstore and my friends gamestore ... probably the only reason I can still afford fantasy and 40k

Wargamejunkie
12-04-2009, 14:01
I use the store I own. Its good to be your boss.

There are any number of good sites out there. It just a matter of who you trust.

Edit: PM was sent so it's not like I am rubbing it in his face

Tyron
12-04-2009, 14:01
www.wargamesempire.com cheapest store I have found so far.

Mosedeke
12-04-2009, 14:04
I mostly use eBay. I like Warstore, but I'm also in New York so tax applies on it and negates half of his discount. A couple sellers over on eBay have straight Buy It Now stores with everything 25% off, free shipping, no taxes. They usually ship them out of their box, but that's generally ok with me.

edward3h
12-04-2009, 14:20
I don't buy many models - I have a ton of old ones. But I buy the books from my FLGS - I play games on the tables there so I wouldn't want them to go out of business.

Templar Ben
12-04-2009, 14:28
Go to www.gamingfigures.com. It has discounted UK prices.

the1stpip
12-04-2009, 14:39
I just browse ebay for new minis, often getting up to 25% off if I look carefully.

I have started trying to buy more from my local GW. It does help the guys, and if i can't save much online, thn I will buy from them.

orkz222
12-04-2009, 14:52

tried both, excellent.

ShaiAhlude
12-04-2009, 15:05
Ebay for me,too.

Of course, that's when I buy stuff (just the books, now), since I'm waiting for DE & Space Wolves to be re-done before buying ANY models.

Self-imposed moritorium on buying models, 12 months, 2 weeks and 3 days.....and counting.

blackroyal
12-04-2009, 15:12
For the continental U.S. there are a few things:
I've hear good things about thewarstore.com (http://www.thewarstore.com/). I am obligated to inform you of http://chaosmailorder.com/ since my FLGS runs it. I have yet to use either, but I've witnessed the guys at Chaos resolving problems.

Both of these offer the standard 20% off GW retail.

nexttothemoon
12-04-2009, 15:36
EBay, Warhammer forums and anywhere else I can find decent deals.

Here's the list of sites I researched when I was looking for good low priced online shops (often shipping costs will be the only real difference as they all pretty close on their prices):

game-shed.com
rnrminiatures.net
themodelshack.com
maelstromgames.co.uk
waylandgames.co.uk
miniaturesbypost.com
wargamesempire.com
thewarstore.com
thebattleshop.co.uk
cart.gwonline.info/epages/es115160.sf
gamingfigures.com
bitkingdom.com
bitzbox.co.uk
hobbygaming.co.uk
completelycool.co.uk
giftsforgeeks.org.uk
littlemetalmen.co.uk
gc-minis.com
buyforlessonline.co.uk
apocabitznow.com
bitsandkits.co.uk

I will caution that I haven't purchased from any of those sites yet (I ended up doing mostly auction purchases)... but I have researched and Googled A LOT to find the lowest priced shops and that's pretty much all of them that I could find that give from 15-30% off retail.

Hopefully others can give their experiences with these shops to guide towards the reliable ones with good service/fast shipping etc.

Hope some of those prove helpful.

Cheers

NotElite
12-04-2009, 16:54
I eBay used armies from frustrated kids who quit the game. Even at 20% off GW left my price point way behind a year or two ago.

Maine
12-04-2009, 21:02
It never hurts the ask the owner of your FLGS if he will give you a discount on a large order. I'm bulking up with 7 Chimeras and 3 Valkyries plus the new IG codex, so my FLGS owner is giving me a discount for such a large order. 10-15% isn't that unreasonable to ask for - they won't make as much profit but if you go elsewhere to buy, they won't make any at all.

weissengel86
12-04-2009, 21:45
I personally buy from a popular hobby shop in my city. I dont ever buy from GW they charge to much. Essentially everything I get is 10% off GWs price. If they dont have something in stock they order it for me at their price not GWs.

rintinglen
12-04-2009, 21:47
I personally can vouch for the Warstore (www.thewarstore.com). If you live in the US and don't live in NY, Neal Capatano and crew are aces. They stock just about everything 40k you could want at 20 % off and shipping is very reasonable.

Frostea
12-04-2009, 22:02
this.

i havent seen anywhere that beats these guys for price. in NZ id pay $170 + shipping for a battleforce, from these guys its about $120 INC shipping. always quick to reply to queries, FREE shipping world wide although it is the lowest class of shipping, they will replace anything that gets lost. but after that you have to use insured shipping which costs $$$megabucks$$$ (unless your clever and just make a new account and use a different credit card and send it somwhere else e.g. parents or whatever)

i purchased an order from them and a day later they had a sale, i asked them if they would give me the discount i would have recieved if i had ordered a day later and they gave me store credit to the sum of what i would have saved! so (from my experience) they are really good guys.

A+++

I bought my 1500pt templar army from these guys as well. I'd say maelstrom games is one of the best place to buy if you don't live in US or UK, since the shipping cost is practically zero, and service is great like quoted.

Wayland games and http://cart.gwonline.info/ are also great for buying kits, just that their shipping doesn't quite make their prices competitive with maelstrom if you live in asia or australia. That or when they have free shipping offers, the whole situation changes. :D

Apocabitznow.com is great for buying that random small bit you need. Free shipping over 75 bucks makes things easy.

Greatoliver
12-04-2009, 22:26
I'm with the GW store crowd. True, it's not the best value for money, but I feel I should give something back for playing there when I do.

Madfool2
12-04-2009, 23:10
I usually buy from my local GW, but for online, I whole-heartly endorse Maelstromgames.co.uk.

BobTheZombie
12-04-2009, 23:32
I try to buy as many of my minis at my FLGS as possible, as I play there multiple times a week, and feel its the least i can do to help support them.
Same. My local game store runs on pretty tight margins, so by getting everything there I feel I'm keeping it afloat for another month at least. The last decent game store in the town had to shut due to a muck up from GW, so it's good to have a stable place to play, even if I could get a lot more for my money. Plus it stops other people in the household knowing how much I'm spending on plastic.

Also, off topic, sorry, my 100th post, have a tasty beverage of your choice on me. BobTheZombie does not promise to pay for the aforementioned drink, nor does he take responsibility if horrific death results from imbibing the aforementioned beverage. All rights reserved

Arrg
12-04-2009, 23:55
I buy from my local gamer-store since I get a 10% military discount. Sometimes I'll eBay stuff too.

Silentbob10
12-04-2009, 23:58
GW im afraid got to support thee company or one day it will dissapear

Sttucker13
13-04-2009, 06:44
GW im afraid got to support thee company or one day it will dissapear

Well I don't have any GW stores nearby (read: within a thousand miles or so) and I don't really have any LGS that I'm a full-blown patron of either. As far as buying directly from GW online, it's really no different to purchase through a third party. They are buying from GW, I'm buying from them, only at a reduced markup. GW still gets their share. ;)

starlight
13-04-2009, 07:13
Please note we have no local FLGS anymore... :( Otherwise they would be #3 in the list.

1) Warseer Trading Forums
2) local trades
3) online discounters (ie new product)
4) other online second hand
5) not so local FLGS
6) GW

Thud
13-04-2009, 07:30
I've bought from an internet shop once, and that was when I got my 20 Wraithguard. There were two reasons for this. First, the FLGS wouldn't have that many WG blisters and I'd have to order through them, and second: I got it at half the price it would have cost me at the shop.

Other than that one time, and a novel in a GW shop in Newcastle, everything GW-related I own has been bought at the FLGS.

isaac
13-04-2009, 11:32
1. FLGS (Gone now)
2. Online (Never used it yet, but will when I finish painting all my current models)
3 Friend's local FLGS (in his hometown)(Will ask him to pick up whatever I need, when he goes there)
4. GW store (mainly for paints)

Galavian
14-04-2009, 01:31
I use wayland games or gifts for geeks, which offer sometimes over 25% off in the UK

CrownAxe
14-04-2009, 01:53
... specific sites would be helpful, if at all possible.
I don't buy from just one, ultimately I've purchased from something like 6 or 7 different web sites

InquisitorPalpatine
14-04-2009, 04:03
Like others have said, I try to support my somewhat local gaming store(80 miles away) for small purchases, but for larger ones I usally order through the War Store. I've ordered maybe a dozen times with Neal and have never had a problem yet, plus you get 20% off and shipping is only $5.95 per order. If your in the US you can't go wrong with thewarstore.com

Cane
14-04-2009, 04:11
So far I've had no problems with superherogameland.com; they offer free shipping on orders over $125 and their discount rivals most American stores. I've made two orders around that price since I've gotten back into 40k (around the time I started posting here) and plan on making a hefty purchase in May since I'm an IG player with too much time. You have to set up an account on their site but you get to skip paypal and phone call hassles.

For purchases $50 and under I go to the LGS around town. Recently picked up a Citadel Battlemat and misc. hobby items. Haven't gamed at a LGS since returning to 40k yet though.

Hicks
14-04-2009, 04:54
Where it's cheaper. Usually the Warstore of eBay, I also buy from and trade a lot with people here or on bartertown.com.

Snipingranger
14-04-2009, 05:28
Well before I use to buy Games-Workshop minis from my local hobby store, or direct because I ordered bitz...but now Ive been looking on ebay and discounted websites, like miniwargaming.com

Ddraiglais
14-04-2009, 06:33
Ebay has good deals on occasion.

For a large order of exactly what you want, I'd go with the WarStore. 20% off, and they can usually get you anything on the GW site. The only exception might be some of the Apoc formations.

Khornies & milk
14-04-2009, 06:48
Being an Aussie I usually buy from Scrap Dragon @20% plus 5% off....but now that Irresistible Force has opened up not far from home I buy from him @ 15-20% off, and pick the stuff up so no delivery costs to boot.

I would like to play 40K there but they're more into Fantasy and FoW, but at least I'm still supporting them.

holmcross
14-04-2009, 07:08
I buy some off of ebay, some direct from GW and some from my local gaming stores.

I could probably save more money if I ordered everything online, but I like supporting my local retailers. They offer a place to play, which is invaluable.

onlainari
14-04-2009, 08:46
If this was a poll I would have just clicked the "Games Workshop" button and not posted anything.

a squig
14-04-2009, 09:10
mainly my local GW store but been looking around woot3 at the mo its got great deals going on.

kizzt
14-04-2009, 14:40
Aussie here.
I do big orders through Maelstrom Games. depending on exchange rate it works out to be a 30% (or more discount) on the Australian GW prices - more again if you are ordering from GW's webstore, by the time you take into account shipping charges.
It /almost/ takes prices back to what they were when i was in my hobby peak.
Prompt shipping, well packaged. Free shipping. Friendly service. Well worth it!

Forlorn
14-04-2009, 19:16
I take it the OP is from the UK? If you're in the US I suggest the warstore. 20% off.

Sir_Lunchalot
14-04-2009, 19:27
I buy at my FLGS. Sort of a "pay where you play" philosophy. I fI played at thome and never went into teh store to play, I'd probably buy online, but for now, my FLGS is the only place I can regularly play, so I'm going to support them as much as I can.

BigBadBull
14-04-2009, 19:53
I buy from my friends store... and occasional GW direct and the Warstore for foam and Bitz.
Most of the funds seem to keep going to FW though... Cough Reaver Cough...
man my allergies seem to be acting up due to Resin shavings....lol