PDA

View Full Version : WoC! fixed infantry (maybe?)

Ewperor
12-04-2009, 12:40
Hi i play WoC and i generally love them but i have been thinking about how i could field a fun infantry army.

I have an idea to try and make infantry armies for WoC a little more interesting without pumping them full of magic and gate.
The cavalry army is ok but i don't consider it that fun to play since its mostly point and click.
My idea is to give them a sort of Khorne magic(gasp!) that could help them with mobility, so your troops could get into battle and not get outmaneuvered as much.

I was thinking of a rule for the warshrine that has some benefits and some disadvantages.
If a warshrine has a MoK then it will be able to cast a spell similar to unseen lurker from the lore of shadow. It will be able to cast it as many times as it likes but not on cavalry/chariots/monsters and it can not cast it on the same troop more than once each turn(maybe only on unmarked/MoK infantry).

And it should have a spell that would let you reform one of your units.

The Warshrine generates 1 power dice each turn as basic. Other than this it also generates more spelldice depending on what you choose at the beginning of your turn. You must choose either your own or your opponents side and then it generates one spell dice for every worth of 5 unit strength killed. These dice are generated during your next magic phase, so if your opponent inflicts 10 wounds on your warriors in his shooting phase and you chose his side then you generate 2 power dice extra.

If you have a warshrine like this in your army then all casting attempts not by a warshrine gets -3.

Fluffvise it would be a warshrine of khorne that made your warriors more bloodthirsty whenever they saw their own getting killed or could see or smell their friends cutting up the other army.

Would this be too good or would it not work and do you think it might make it more fun to play an infantry army?

zoggin-eck
12-04-2009, 13:11
My idea is to give them a sort of Khorne magic(gasp!) that could help them with mobility, so your troops could get into battle and not get outmaneuvered as much.

Being outmaneuvered is one of the risks of taking an all infantry army, mostly heavy infantry at that. You can't always have your cake and eat it, too :)

EvC
12-04-2009, 13:21
Sounds a ibit complicated, but something like that would have been nice. A Warshrine of Khorne making casters within 24" at -1 to cast would have been simple and great, for example. But there's so many other missed opportunities. Here's some others:
Daemon Prince- Marks give the following additional benefits:
Khorne: +1S
Slaanesh: +1LD
Nurgle: +1T
(Tzeentch already gets +1 ward save)

Forsaken: Stubborn, can never lose frenzy
(Not a massive change, but one that helps them without making them silly like skirmish would have done)

Alas... such imaginative designs were not taken on board.

Mireadur
12-04-2009, 14:32
why skirmish would be silly for forsaken Evc? I like so much all your ideas BTW, WoC is certainly so boring that i never get them off the shelves anymore.

EvC
12-04-2009, 14:47
From a gameplay point of view. Enemy moves unit within charge range of a single Forsaken (very easy to do unless the player takes the time to bunch them up and make them look like a ranked unit, which defeats the point). Forsaken forced to charge, only 1 in range, the rest conga line behind, Forsaken handily beaten in combat as a result and run away. Hardly fitting for them.

Urgat
12-04-2009, 14:55
Making them skirmish but not frenzied would have worked, as well.

EvC
12-04-2009, 15:02
That too ;)
Hell, they could have done that and even have given them options like:
Khorne: Frenzied (for the masochists)
Slaanesh: ASF
Nurgle: Fear
Tzeentch: +1 to cast for Wizards within 6"
Or stuff like that.

Mireadur
12-04-2009, 15:57
certainly it is not practical to be frenzied and skirmish if your opponnent is willing to exploit the ruling.

Urgat
12-04-2009, 20:53
That too ;)
Hell, they could have done that and even have given them options like:
Khorne: Frenzied (for the masochists)
Slaanesh: ASF
Nurgle: Fear
Tzeentch: +1 to cast for Wizards within 6"
Or stuff like that.

God forbid they did something so simple and elegant :

Dexter099
13-04-2009, 00:16
I have a very effective infantry list that drew against a good dark elf player, only because of two different movement mistakes. (ug, redirected charges and forgetting the Word of Agony doesn't help, which costed me 600 victory points)

The Twsting Path: Warriors of Chaos 2250

Lords:

Orpheus, the Inevitable Doom: Aethersword, Chaos Runeshield, MoT, Word of Agony. 360 points.

Heroes:

Thulius, Exalted Champion of Chaos: MoT, Battle Standard Bearer, Doom Totem, MoT, Acid Ichor. 235 points.

Pulius, Sorceror of Chaos: 2 dispel scrolls, Acid Ichor. 160 points.

Core:

15 Warriors of Chaos: MoN, shields, Full Command. 300 points.

12 Warriors of Chaos: MoS, shields, Full Command. 232 points.

20 Marauders of Chaos: MoS, shields and light armor, Full Command. 150 points.

20 Marauders of Chaos: MoS, shields and light armor, Full Command. 150 points.

5 Marauder Horsemen: Flails, light armor, MoS, Throwing Spears, Champion, Musician. 113 points.

5 Marauder Horsemen: Shields, throwing axes, MoS, Musician. 96 points.

5 Warhounds of Chaos. 30 points.

5 Warhounds of Chaos. 30 points.

Special:

14 Chosen of Chaos: MoT, great weapons and shields, Full Command, Banner of Rage, Favor of the Gods (Champion). 404 points.

Total: 2250 points.

Cypher, the Emperor
13-04-2009, 03:12
I really wish that Chaos could take the lore of shadows or something with a movie spell....

Mireadur
13-04-2009, 09:29
?? they can take lore of shadows.

sulla
13-04-2009, 13:02
Sounds a ibit complicated, but something like that would have been nice. A Warshrine of Khorne making casters within 24" at -1 to cast would have been simple and great, for example. But there's so many other missed opportunities. Here's some others:

Heh, then you would still get the same magic heavy builds but they would be even better in defence than they are now.

Back to the OP though, I think anytime you play chaos infantry, you need a BSB because you don't get to choose many combats. Personally, I would say to always have the stubborn banner too. Maybe the BSB could be on a slaaneshi steed in a unit of slaaneshi marauder horse in the back lines so he can reposition where needed quickly each turn?

EvC
13-04-2009, 14:42
You missed an important point with the Khornate Warshrine idea: it would make all casters nearby -1 to cast, friend or foe :D

sulla
15-04-2009, 06:14
I did miss that....

Chaos guys I play have all their casters buzzing around in a pack, either on discs or as a daemon prince, all within range of the skull of Katam, so +2 to cast anyway. They could probably handle 2 of those in their army even if they were within range of it.

(But I wish that was how the corpse cart worked though. -1 to all casters might mean I didn't have to face 2 corpse carts plus magic heavy VC if the cart was nerfing the VC macic too.)