PDA

View Full Version : I will never underestimate chaos warriors again.

Domandi
12-04-2009, 12:51
Hey all.

Just played a great game last night and let me say that chaos warriors are ******* beasts in combat. A unit of around 15 (maybe 12) chew through my hydra, then executioners, then crossbowmen(with shields). In all those combats, I think I only killed one or two of em.

It was disgusting. 4 RBT for me from now on...

MasterSparks
12-04-2009, 12:53
Yeah, you should never engage chaos warriors on their terms (in the front, basically) for they truly are powerful. Their weakness lies in their low mobility - strike them in the flank and they'll be hard pressed to win with only having a model or two in contact with you and no static CR to rely on.

Desert Rain
12-04-2009, 13:51
Yeah, Chaos Warriors are beasts in combat. I've learnt that the hard way with my High Elves. For most armies it wouldn't be much of a problem to outmanouvre them unless they have lots of cavalry.

selone
12-04-2009, 14:16
Don't fight them on their terms ;)

Urgat
12-04-2009, 14:56
Well, surprisingly, my night gobs tend to do rather well against them. Nets are a godsend :)

Peregijn
12-04-2009, 15:03
Well, surprisingly, my night gobs tend to do rather well against them. Nets are a godsend :)

from a chaos player's few... nets are iritating, but its verry funny to watch the goblins enstrict themselves

Stuffburger
12-04-2009, 15:21
Tried a frontal charge against nurgle warriors the other night. A mild bit of (unintentional) cheating on his list aside, the warriors absolutely tore through my orc boyz and general. Then again, they do cost more than double....

Never again the frontal charge :(

Tae
12-04-2009, 15:43
My friend has learned this lesson well :)

In our first game his Teclic list ended up winning, but not before a unit of about 5 of my warriors (all that was left by the time I reached him!) simply waded through Teclis' Phoenix Guard bodyguard unit. If he hadn't made himself stubborn the unit would have gone.

And my other unit of 7 warriors hacked down his 20 Swordmasters to just 3 by the time the last warrior fell. Again, without stubborn he would have fled.

Yesterday we played another game (as part of a larger 2 vs 2 game) where Teclis' Phoenix Guard hit my Villitch bodyguard unit. Wasn't quite such a slaughter of the Elves ... until the Warshrine made Villitch's unit cause Terror. And then his Swordmasters charged my unit of Warriors in a building, and promptly lost 5 Elves to my 2 warriors (which when he's hitting and wounding on 3's!).

Generally I would recommend not hitting Chaos Warriors in combat at all if you can help it. Although admitedly anything St5 or more in the flank is going to be an issue. However personally I don't rely on static CR and almost entirely on actually killing people to win combat. So it depends on who you fight as to whether removing SCR will help or not.

bob_the_small
12-04-2009, 15:51
The chaos warriors were very lucky then.... plus how did you even let him/her get a charge on your hydra??? Why did the xbows not shoot him??? Why did the executioners not charge him???

MasterSparks
12-04-2009, 15:56
Remember that he said that he'll not underestimate them again - he probably thought that they wouldn't be as powerful as they are. They do get a lot of bad reputation around the internet, you know. ;)

Domandi
12-04-2009, 19:54
They were going to get a charge on the exec, so the plan was to flee from the charge, and flank with the hydra... problem was that I misjudged, and they clipped the hydra on the failed charge of the exec. I charged them with the xbows because I needed them in combat for my dragon to overrun into them. However the unit my dragon was fighting first held after the combat. The xbows then had to fight them all by their lonesome. It was the last turn and I needed to have a desperate move to try to win.

O&G'sRule
12-04-2009, 20:20
Theyre rock hard, the core choices are better than most special units in other armies. they have great versatility (apart from shooting) and awesome characters

AramilSairSianontel
12-04-2009, 20:36
from a chaos player's few... nets are iritating, but its verry funny to watch the goblins enstrict themselves

don't remind me:mad:

Urgat
12-04-2009, 20:58

Ah well, it does happen, these gobs are not very good throwers are they? :

badgeraddict
12-04-2009, 22:32
They are a hard nut to crack...from the front. A flank or rear charge nullifies most of their CR generating abilities. Having all the attacks and armour in the world isn't going to stop a flank charge.

Feefait
12-04-2009, 22:56
Hey all.

Just played a great game last night and let me say that chaos warriors are ******* beasts in combat. A unit of around 15 (maybe 12) chew through my hydra, then executioners, then crossbowmen(with shields). In all those combats, I think I only killed one or two of em.

don't forget the corsairs! report for this game is posted in the bat rep section. what the warriors did was pretty amazing. The only thing like it i'v eseen was DOmandi once had 3 Savage orc boyz walk through like 3 units of skaven of mine.

And I TOLD you to bring rbt's..., lol

TeddyC
12-04-2009, 23:30
so how can dwarfs beat WoC without too much of a gunline?

Dexter099
13-04-2009, 00:11
Dwarf gunlines actually suffer versus WoC, if the Chaos player knows what he's doing and brings at least 1-2 Slaanesh Marauder blocks.

You pretty much have to out-combat him by using nasty Dwarven tricks. Otherwise, you are pretty much in trouble since Chaos troops are essentially yours with slightly superior stats all round that trump you. Plus the Chaos Player has no need to spend points on wizards, which saves quite a bit.

djkest
13-04-2009, 00:46
Dwarf gunlines actually suffer versus WoC, if the Chaos player knows what he's doing and brings at least 1-2 Slaanesh Marauder blocks.

Plus the Chaos Player has no need to spend points on wizards, which saves quite a bit.

Why would a chaos player not bring wizards?

selone
13-04-2009, 01:32
I'd actually reckon that dwarf gunline would answer WoC fairly well.

Cypher, the Emperor
13-04-2009, 02:49

They built their army last edition?

Gork or Possibly Mork
13-04-2009, 03:35
Hey all.

No offense but...Duh! Theres a reason they have no shooting ( besides hell cannon ). Combat is there specialty.

Mobility backed by some magic/shooting and hard hitters ( COK ) will serve you well. Slow them down with Harpy and or dark rider march blocking so you have more time to shoot/magic them and set up flanking.

Good luck with your next game.

Kerill
13-04-2009, 04:20
DE have all the tools in the game to beat a unit of warriors with Ld8 if they lose combat they die. Alternatively DE can dance around them all day and for 25 points can negate WOC only ranged option.

Feefait
14-04-2009, 01:30
As a spectator for this fight there are 2 things Domandi has not mentioned. Number 1 the chaos player was spread evenly across the board, at 2500 and there was little room to manouver. Number 2 he had a lord on a dragon, and could pop him about anywhere. the dragon went around one flank and came up from the side to back up the warriors when the dark elve sfinally ran out of room to run. AND every time it semed he would bait and flee it would be 1" shorter than it needed to be to not get caught. The chaos player caught him on every pursuit and chase. plus, by turn 2 (maybe 3) that dragon was back there too so there was no where to go at all.

No wizards worked for the chaos player mainly, i think, because the de player didn't have any either. they were both playing "surprise" lists just to see what would happen. we've become very accustomed here to relying on and fearing magic pretty heavily, so they wanted to break the trend.

I just can't wait ot have a go at this list with my Lizardmen Carnosaur list. My poor Skaven would, I think, get rocked.

Dexter099
14-04-2009, 02:31

Because you don't need to dispel anything, and since Chaos units are all trumps to Dwarven units, just swarm him with units, and it's game on turn 3.

Txan
14-04-2009, 02:38
Or.... Infernal gate way :)

Kerill
14-04-2009, 04:43
Or.... Infernal gate way :)

Not at all wise against dark elves.