PDA

View Full Version : Shamless Self Plug... Pics of the Nid Box set and codex.

Alex_H
04-05-2005, 21:31
Hey All,

Im a member of the warpshadow.com boards (A must for all Tyranid generals) and as a favor to everyone I promised them a break down of the army box when it arrvies (fingers crossed) tomorrow.

With this in mind I set up an album to put the photos in,

The link is here. (http://gallery.warpshadow.com/Alex_H)

There is nothing there yet, really, but I have since decided to keep a record of the Hive Fleet Cronus's development... from box->sprue->fully fledged army. So there is an early taster of one nid, in my colour scheme (although the paint job is a bit ****)

However I will let you know when there are pictures. As I am going to be recording the opening of the box is alot of detail for everyone.

t-tauri
04-05-2005, 21:59
You do realise just how much you're tempting fate by saying your army box is going to arrive tomorrow?

Somewhere in the Post Office a horrible plot is waiting to hatch.

HalberdBlue
04-05-2005, 22:31
Yup, you've jinxed yourself. I bet the mail order box has already accidently fallen out and been run over by the delivery truck.

Alex_H
04-05-2005, 22:32
Arrrgh Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Inquisitor Engel
04-05-2005, 22:46
You're not allowed to post pictures of the contents of the Codex.

Alex_H
04-05-2005, 23:10
I wasnt doing the codex, but other box contents is ok no? Ie the special limited edition lictor parts?

Inquisitor Engel
04-05-2005, 23:34
I wasnt doing the codex, but other box contents is ok no? Ie the special limited edition lictor parts?
That's fine.

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 00:00
I'd love to see them but you aren't getting any kind of exclusive here, it's open for the first person who wants to to post pics of their army deal.

But as already said no codex pics.

Negafex
05-05-2005, 01:17
could they post pics of the front and back covers?

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 01:21
could they post pics of the front and back covers?

Nope, you want to see anything like that try the GW website but not on Portent.

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 09:20
Well my army deal this morning. :D

So many nice things to build, makes me glad I took the day off.

One disapointment is the Lictor is missing a couple of bits but thanks to GW's customer service they are on their way.

In addition the Raveners only come with scything talons and you don't appear to get any rending claws or thorax mounted weapons with them. :(

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/42979565/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/42979562.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/42979569.jpg

Lion El Jason
05-05-2005, 11:01
Couple of things:
I thought the thorax mounted weapons were the little holes in the raveners chest -ie the weapon is internal?

I really should know this since Ive been a member of portent since the day portent 1 started but is there some rules somewhere telling me what I can & can't post?

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 11:45
Couple of things:
I thought the thorax mounted weapons were the little holes in the raveners chest -ie the weapon is internal?

Good point, I hadn't considered that, will save me some time trying to convert one onto it.

I really should know this since Ive been a member of portent since the day portent 1 started but is there some rules somewhere telling me what I can & can't post?

There was but the rules & regs got lost when Portent V1 went down. However I'm still using them for my interpretations when modding. Some are obvious (no copyrighted stuff) and others not so (I'll try to explain when I do).

Inquisitor Engel
05-05-2005, 15:08
I'm imressed. They've broken down the metals into portions which appear to be made to disguise what parts it's made out of with as little green stuffing as possible. Very nice.

But then again, why, oh why, are the back vanes seperate on the Zoanthrope?

In addition the Raveners only come with scything talons and you don't appear to get any rending claws or thorax mounted weapons with them. :(
You and I both know any Tyranid player worth his salt should have plenty lying around in a bitz box. :D

Did the Tyrant get the 'Monstrous Creature' sprue we saw in the Carnifex box?

my_name_is_tudor
05-05-2005, 19:09
Are there any variations on the Ravenor body Brim? I mean, obviosuly there isnt going to be much difference, but perhaps different tale ends, or slightly different tale positions?

Goatboy
05-05-2005, 20:26
Woot got mine today as well :D
The Tyrant does come with the same H.weapon sprue as the Carnifex, so no spare rending talons there.
The Raverners are all identical body sculpts.

Lion El Jason
06-05-2005, 11:41
Mine's still not here...

I want my codex!
I've had to keep myself busy building Gargoyles then realised they were supposed to be rubbish in the new list...

And I could only find one rending claw in my bits box (Unless I try to use the original 'nid plastics from tyranid attack!!)

Goatboy
06-05-2005, 23:04
If you give your Stealers scything talons, the left over arms look about the right size to use on Raveners.

Alex_H
07-05-2005, 10:34
Well it finially arrived.

I've taken a picture breakdown of the contents, including scans of the parts and new 'Heavy Weapon Spure.

http://gallery.warpshadow.com/Alex_H

Rabid Bunny 666
07-05-2005, 12:50
the ravener pic in the codex has a 'stealer claw BTW

M@L@L
08-05-2005, 16:18
I have a few questions for those of you who have the new dex, if they are answerable here that is.

1: What is the maximum unit size for genestealers now? Is it twelve as before or have they boosted it up to sixteen, i.e. two boxed sets worth?

2: Do the tyrant guard take up a H.Q. slot? I want a guarded Hive Tyrant AND a broodlord dammit. :D

3: Are there any biomorphs for the gaunts? Preferabbly leaping guants as I want my second unit of hormagaunts to be a customised breed.

4: In the heavyweight army, are the troops choices made up entirely of ripper swarms, as white dwarf has lead me to believe? If so, that would totally suck and that's an understatement.

Brimstone
08-05-2005, 16:25
I have a few questions for those of you who have the new dex, if they are answerable here that is.

1: What is the maximum unit size for genestealers now? Is it twelve as before or have they boosted it up to sixteen, i.e. two boxed sets worth?

Still twelve.

2: Do the tyrant guard take up a H.Q. slot? I want a guarded Hive Tyrant AND a broodlord dammit. :D

And you can Tyrant Guard are a retinue not a HQ choice.

3: Are there any biomorphs for the gaunts? Preferabbly leaping guants as I want my second unit of hormagaunts to be a customised breed.

Gaunts leaping I'm afraid not, gaunt biomorphs are limted. You can biomorph hormagaunts as well though, I'm currently using ones with I5 and +1str to see if the points increase is worth it.

4: In the heavyweight army, are the troops choices made up entirely of ripper swarms, as white dwarf has lead me to believe? If so, that would totally suck and that's an understatement.

There is no such thing as a heavyweight army that's just something from WD to classify various army themes, you can select any troops you want as long as you have the points for them.

M@L@L
08-05-2005, 16:40
Excellent, my plot to include all the nid models in one army shall continue. Just one more thing, is the strength and initiative increase the only biomorph that hormagaunts can take? Cheers for that Brimmy.;)

Brimstone
08-05-2005, 17:01
Just one more thing, is the strength and initiative increase the only biomorph that hormagaunts can take? Cheers for that Brimmy.;)

You can increase initiative, weapon skill, armour save and strength on hormagaunts.

You can also take flesh hooks.

I tried to resist too many goodies as it can get quite expensive and I prefer numbers for hormagaunts.

Lardidar
08-05-2005, 17:09
Hey brim,

What is the army you are currently using?

I have never used nids' and bought two of the army deals but can't decide how to put them together, if you have time can you give a little advice on stuff like.

1 - Warrior combinations (I have 12) is it a good Idea to equip some for combat or should they fill in a fire support role.

2 - Hive tyrant, I glued my first one and have gone for two sets of scything talons but not sure how to do my second one.

It just seems if I glue the wrong stuff on now then Iím pretty screwed if it later turns out the combinations I picked blows and I donít fancy having to buy more models than needed.

Sorry if I should have gone to tactics forum with this but it seems your here and it would be a waste of a new thread.

Cheers,

M@L@L
08-05-2005, 17:33
Hmmm, well it looks like i'll be going for +1 S and I as they're the only ones that don't involve buying a **** load of box sets just for armour plates or flesh hooks. Cheers again Brim.

I hope the Biovores aren't totally sucky like people have said or ,despite my plan, I may just have to sacrifice them in favour of a second fex. Though you can't go too far wrong with a unit of three artillery pieces. Does anyone know if they're deployed in a single unit?

Brimstone
08-05-2005, 17:38
I hope the Biovores aren't totally sucky like people have said or ,despite my plan, I may just have to sacrifice them in favour of a second fex. Though you can't go too far wrong with a unit of three artillery pieces. Does anyone know if they're deployed in a single unit?

Yes they deploy in a single unit. I seem to be in a minority on the subject of Biovores. I've played three games with them and found them to be an excellent anti-armour unit when using bio-acid spore mines.

Personally I think people should try them and then make their minds up about how sucky they are, I agree they have lost a bit of flexibility being concentrated in a single unit but their ability to concentrate fire balances that out IMO.

Plus my biovores are now thoroughly house trained, no more remembering they used to be Orks and running off towards the battle (brood telepathy).

M@L@L
08-05-2005, 17:54
Lol. Poor deluded ex-greenskins. Well I'm liking the fact that the bio-acid is delivered in a blast instead of a random spray. Rules aside, I'm probably one of few people who likes the Biovore model. Sure he's grinning, but look at the size of his nuts. He deserves our respect.:D

lostitgotit72
09-05-2005, 10:33
Amen to that. I like the grinning models, not on the HT but the Carni. yeah........

EDIT
Yay! marine.... Take that nasty Trya...uhhhhh Tryan....Aliens!! Yes thats right! Even us super humans don't know how pronouce it you name. But that makes you vile in the face of the Emporer!!!!!

MWWWHHHAAAHHHAHA

damn can't i trasfer my posts from the BnC? lol

/edit

erion
09-05-2005, 15:41
Do the Warriors come with the old or the new Monstrous Creatures Weapons Sprue?

mr.tp
09-05-2005, 16:13
How does "without number" rule work in game terms. Gaunt unit gets killed and they instantly spawn at nid players deployement zone? Or is there some kind of reserve thingy?

t-tauri
09-05-2005, 16:48
Do the Warriors come with the old or the new Monstrous Creatures Weapons Sprue?
The old I'm afraid.

erion
09-05-2005, 17:05
The old I'm afraid.

Ah, well. Should be easily fixed by the sheer numbers of Carnifex I'm going to end up building.

Brimstone
09-05-2005, 19:00
Sorry if I should have gone to tactics forum with this but it seems your here and it would be a waste of a new thread.

Correct but I'll let you off just this once, just don't do it again :)

What is the army you are currently using?

My army is in a state of flux at the moment until I arrive at a combination of units that I feel comfortable with. I tend to go for a mix however with normally around 60 gaunts or so backed up with a mix of larger stuff in a 1500pt list, the only constant in my list are 3 biovores.

can you give a little advice on stuff like.

1 - Warrior combinations (I have 12) is it a good Idea to equip some for combat or should they fill in a fire support role.

I'd go for both, you need to keep your assault brood in synapse range and I'm using winged warriors for that but a second rank of fire support warriors following on isn't a bad idea.

2 - Hive tyrant, I glued my first one and have gone for two sets of scything talons but not sure how to do my second one.

Well unless you have wings 2xscytals isn't that effective as you have to get it into range, you could give it warp blast of course.

For the other one a VC is probably a good weapon of choice but the second choice is up to you (scytals or bonesword/whip).

It just seems if I glue the wrong stuff on now then Iím pretty screwed if it later turns out the combinations I picked blows and I donít fancy having to buy more models than needed.

For sure that's why you may want to proxy units in a few test battles until you decide on the combination that most suits your chosen style of play.

Negafex
09-05-2005, 23:17
you could always just pry the part off later if u dont like em' its not like there stuck on there with super glue or something hahaha