PDA

View Full Version : Largest Eldar population?

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
12-04-2009, 17:27
In order, from smallest to largest, which variant of Eldar do you believe to be the most populated? I think: Harlequins, Corsair Eldar, Exodite Eldar, Dark Eldar, then the largest being Craftworld Eldar. What do you think?

The_King_Elessar
12-04-2009, 17:32
I think there would have to be more Dark Eldar than Craftworld, or they simply wouldn't be able to sustain the lifestyle they do. Also, don't forget the 'Craftworld' of the Harlequins, the Black Library. It must contain a fair few.

Nym
12-04-2009, 17:33
Exodites > Craftworld > Dark Eldars > Corsairs > Harlequins.

I wonder what gave you the impression that Harlequins were so numerous. Imo there's only a few troops in the whole galaxy.

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
12-04-2009, 17:33
I think there would have to be more Dark Eldar than Craftworld, or they simply wouldn't be able to sustain the lifestyle they do. Also, don't forget the 'Craftworld' of the Harlequins, the Black Library. It must contain a fair few.

I thought only a few Harlequins guard the Black Library

I wonder what gave you the impression that Harlequins were so numerous. Imo there's only a few troops in the whole galaxy.

I was doing smallest to largest, so the smallest is Harlequins. I think anyway

The_King_Elessar
12-04-2009, 17:40
I thought only a few Harlequins guard the Black Library

That's what they WANT you to think...I think there must be a fair few, since they travel to all the Exodite Worlds, Comorragh, and all the Craftworlds. Remember as well, that their young don't have the Path, so don't feel restrained and become Outcasts, just join the intergalactic gypsies that are the Harlies. Their population is actually growing, unlike the Craftworlds'.

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
12-04-2009, 17:46
But they are experts of the webway, they would be able to travel from Craftworld, to Exodite world, and so on, with speed and ease.

Lord Damocles
12-04-2009, 17:49
Harlequins
Corsairs
Craftworlders
Dark
Exodites

TimLeeson
12-04-2009, 18:43
IMO...

Chaos Eldar
Corsairs
Harlequins
Exodites
Dark Eldar
Craftworld Eldar

Raibaru
12-04-2009, 19:03
Exodites > Dark Eldar > Craftworld Eldar > Iyanden > Harlequins.

I'd bet money on it being like this. I think we're going to see Dark Eldar fluff move from the semi-chaos worshipers of old to more of raiders that would fit your corsairs theme I'm guessing?

I think the vast majority of new eldar born join the Dark Eldar and Eldar Pirates too. I think Craftworld civilization has no where to go but down and the Harlequins are an exceptionally small force.

Templar Ben
12-04-2009, 19:04
You said chaos eldar?

Better duck.

The_Outsider
12-04-2009, 19:06
Most people rate DE with low numbers because the Commorragh (how on earth is that spelt?) is consistently described as a city.

With that most people think it must be a large city like, oh I dunno, Los Angeles but for all we know it could be a city covering as much space as the surface of Jupiter or it could be as big as Newcastle.

Raibaru
12-04-2009, 19:12
Most people rate DE with low numbers because the Commorragh (how on earth is that spelt?) is consistently described as a city.

With that most people think it must be a large city like, oh I dunno, Los Angeles but for all we know it could be a city covering as much space as the surface of Jupiter or it could be as big as Newcastle.

I'd say it's considerably larger then a craftworld and I'd wager the vast majority of Dark Eldar are never "home". They are the type of civilization where even if you belong to a house, you're out in open space pillaging and raping most of your entire life. The only time you wouldn't be doing these things is when your vessels are filled and you come back home briefly to unload.

I think it's a safe bet that each Kabal's land is significantly smaller then a craftworld, but there is so very much more to Dark Eldar civilization then just living in Commorragh.

I don't recall when or where, but it was in one of the codex as saying that very few young eldar remain on their craftworld. Some wander to find themselves, but most join pirates, raiders, and the dark eldar forces. 2md Edition maybe?

and no, I wasn't implying Dark Eldar are Chaos Eldar. Only that a lot of their early fiction leads you in the direction that they are some how tied to Slaanesh still. Sacrificing souls not because they want to (but I doubt they mind) but because they have to, to some how ensure they remain safe.

Warforger
12-04-2009, 19:12
And so is a Craftworld.

Ben, He didn;t list Chaos Eldar and Dark Eldar as the same thing. Chaos Eldar most likely exist, its a big galaxy. However, Chaos Eldar are not a contender for this though.

TimLeeson
12-04-2009, 19:19

From the artwork in the 5th ed book it looks absolutely huge...at least as big as a craftworld IMO, but personally I imagine it to be alot bigger - like the equivilent of an entire star systems worth of land. Of course that is my speculation and not fact though :)

You said chaos eldar?

Better duck.

ah, but I listed populations from smallest to largest, so for all anyone knows I could mean they are non-existant or maybe there are hundreds of them out there :evilgrin:

The_Outsider
12-04-2009, 19:37
I don't recall when or where, but it was in one of the codex as saying that very few young eldar remain on their craftworld. Some wander to find themselves, but most join pirates, raiders, and the dark eldar forces. 2md Edition maybe?

It sounds a lot (minus the dark eldar bit, but who knows) like the fluff for Alaitoc and the reason why they have lots of rangers.

the1stpip
12-04-2009, 20:03
There are Chaos Eldar, they live on the crone worlds in the EoT.

The_Outsider
12-04-2009, 20:26
There are Chaos Eldar, they live on the crone worlds in the EoT.

There was also a piece of fluff (only a line or two - possibly in the last chaos codex or maybe the daemon one, I cannot remember) where it says some chaos eldar are the most powerfull of slaanesh's once mortal champions (which suggests they eclipse Fulgrim and other CSM lords).

Poseidal
12-04-2009, 21:21
Exodites are the largest for sure.

The line The Outsider mentioned is around too as I've seen it somewhere. I think it was from Realms of Chaos or one of those books?

But we know so little about them we can't put them on the scale yet.

Idaan
12-04-2009, 21:28
Dark Eldar don't live only in Commorragh. 4e Eldar Codex mentions "vast Dark Eldar cities in the Webway"

Threeshades
12-04-2009, 22:20

That sounds quite accurate but I'd think Dark Eldar are more numerous than Craftworld Eldar, thus I think it to be more like
Exodites > Dark Eldar > Craftworld > Corsairs > Harlequins.

The_King_Elessar
14-04-2009, 13:45
Either way, Harlies' population has been growing since the Fall. Chaos Eldar are quite recent, although Dark Eldar were alluded to even in 2nd Ed, Raibaru is quite correct.