PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing combats

Gaargod
12-04-2009, 18:32
Do units 'bounce' in combat? Allowing units to move away and charge again?

I don't have the rules on me, but i remember it says that after a combat you seperate the units slightly to signify that you have completed that combat this turn.

Does this then mean they count as seperate in the next turn and therefore can do what the hell ever they want?

If so, wow. Cavalry become disgusting then, as they charge infantry with lots of attacks, bounce off, move out of the infantry charge range, then recharge.

Sarah S
12-04-2009, 18:42
Yeah that can happen. It can also happen that they charge infantry with lots of attacks, bounce off and then get shot at (by other units) and then charged by the infantry.

Priority will determine who charges who.

I haven't seen too many cav units last long in combat though. They inflict lots of hits sure, but they take lots of hits back, and their second charge, if it even happens, is often much less impressive than the first.

Kroot Lord
12-04-2009, 18:58
Do units 'bounce' in combat? Allowing units to move away and charge again?

I don't have the rules on me, but i remember it says that after a combat you seperate the units slightly to signify that you have completed that combat this turn.

Does this then mean they count as seperate in the next turn and therefore can do what the hell ever they want?

If so, wow. Cavalry become disgusting then, as they charge infantry with lots of attacks, bounce off, move out of the infantry charge range, then recharge.

Yes, yes, yes, on everything you said: yes. Especially the cavalry part! They are really sick in War. I mean a formation of four companies has 40 basic attacks, and on top of that you'll have things such as unstoppable charge and fight value differences to grant even more attacks. Furthermore they'll often have lances, and in a case or two two-handed weapons, making them wound enemies even better then normally.

Nu Fenix
12-04-2009, 22:05
And then you realise your opponent has a pike based army, and your pool of attacks dwindles tremendously, they likely have the same or higher Fight due to the pike, and depending on what cavalry you are and which pikes they are, they may be cheaper too.

Everything has a weakness, and the idea of all of those attacks fall down when something negates them, or when they charge you first, though being in range and charging first, such as monsters.

ser_hag
13-04-2009, 06:57
the more i play, the less impressed i am with cav. maybe its cuz i play with super cheap orcs that can take a charge and still dish out a bunch of attacks. and thats assuming i dont get off a heroic charge totally styming the cav. i mean i certainly think theres a place for cav, but i really think that infantry are the kings of the battlefield in this game.

Kroot Lord
13-04-2009, 09:22
And then you realise your opponent has a pike based army, and your pool of attacks dwindles tremendously, they likely have the same or higher Fight due to the pike, and depending on what cavalry you are and which pikes they are, they may be cheaper too.

Everything has a weakness, and the idea of all of those attacks fall down when something negates them, or when they charge you first, though being in range and charging first, such as monsters.

Pikes are only used widely by Uruk Hai, and the only other armies with a unit or two that have them are Gondor (Men at Arms as well as Axemen) and Easterlings (Easterling Warriors).

I don't have the book with me, but don't pikes only work against charges facing their front? With cavalry it should be quite possible to outmaneuver them and hit them on the flank or the rear.

Jorgen_CAB
13-04-2009, 10:11
Now, cavalry can be very powerful but you must understand the limits with them. Attacking a large mob of Orcs (nine companies) will require an awful number of attacks to break. Such a unit must be whittled down by missile fire and charged several times before it brakes and is destroyed.
Cavalry hit hard but after that will be in deep trouble if the enemy are still organized and can counter attack. You can play with an all cavalry army and win against a player with lots of pikes but it will take skill and allot of maneuvering to do so. One of the biggest mistakes that I have seen some players do is to rely too much on one big bad ass unit, that usually are not a good idea in this game when you play against someone with tactical skill.

Nu Fenix
13-04-2009, 14:18
Pikes are only used widely by Uruk Hai, and the only other armies with a unit or two that have them are Gondor (Men at Arms as well as Axemen) and Easterlings (Easterling Warriors).

I don't have the book with me, but don't pikes only work against charges facing their front? With cavalry it should be quite possible to outmaneuver them and hit them on the flank or the rear.

I would argue that pikes are widely used by Easterlings, of which there are a fair few of them out there. Since they come as part of our plastic box [although only 4/20] they are more viable then the metal of Met at Arms.

Yes they only work against the front, but with infantry it can be easy to just line up your Formations to be wide and not deep, and so keep the flanks secure. Plus, there is nothing having their own cavalry or monsters guarding their own flanks.

Cavalry in this are on a very different scale of power compared to Warhammer, and for this I am grateful [even if I do play a Bretonnian army].