PDA

View Full Version : Gardeners' (Warhammer)World!

brotherAkkyshan
12-04-2009, 19:37
Hi folks!

I've been carrying this particular idea around for a few years now and I may finally be about to do something about it!

As I approach my 'middle' years I have begun to develop (as many do!) an interest in all things 'horticultural' (yes, gardening!). Now not being 'yer average 35 year old father of two I have decided to siate this particular need through the medium of Warhammer!

My idea is this...

'The Garden of Nurgle'.

Great Unclean One as a huge rotted tree. Plague bearers sculpted to look truly atrophied and diseased. Nurglings represented by bloated flies and insects and Beast of Nurgle... well, just running lose in the garden!

It's mentioned in the Daemons Codex as the form of the 'immerterial' realm of Nurgle (beloved plague father, long may he reign!), does it feature at all in the Warhammer Armies book? I have long decided that my interest in 40k has wained to a point of non-existence, and I feel the theme fits better in the 'old world' setting.

So... anyone care to enlighten me? Would this fit in a Warhammer setting?

The army itself would only be small (I struggle to find time to finish projects!) and fully scratch built. If and when I decide to go ahead I'll start a blog in the Painting/Modelling section! Maybe I'll see you there...

Dark14
12-04-2009, 19:47
nurlgles realm in the realm of chaos is the garden of nurgle so it does fit :). everythings rotting and dieing, its described in the new daemon book and very well in Malekith by Gav thorpe.

brotherAkkyshan
12-04-2009, 19:54
Cheers Dark14, especially for the Malekith tip! I'll have to pop out next week and take a look.

Griefbringer
12-04-2009, 20:04
Perhaps good old Slaanesh has his/her very special Pleasure Gardens somewhere in the depths of the Chaos Wastes.

I will leave the details to the readers depraved imagination...

zoggin-eck
13-04-2009, 01:18
Sound like a fun idea, I know of a 40k daemon army that was modeled to look like a ruined city come to life, this sounds equally cool

Horus38
13-04-2009, 02:41
Haha, props man. The only thing I'm wondering is how the missus will take to such a thing? (No offense if no missus is present).

As far as the garden of Nurgle it has been pretty well fleshed out in recent fluff (both army books and novels) and is very fitting/appropriate.

bob_the_small
13-04-2009, 11:24
I dont see anything stopping you! I think that would be a good idea and id be interested to see how it turned out! Keep us posted!

Jono-NI
13-04-2009, 12:20
When i read the title i thought you were making a tv show like Gardeners World where you give tips to hobbyists like they give gardening tips :P Shame......

Mind you i like the idea :D

Classical Mushroom
13-04-2009, 12:35
sounds like a good idea buddy :) You can easily fluff it out eg armies from the old world attacking nurgles realm or his garden became so big that some of in grew into the Old world.

Anyway good luck with it and hope to see your models on here soon :)

brotherAkkyshan
13-04-2009, 16:00
Thanks for the encouragement guys! :)

The idea has now changed a little... :p

I remember reading a collection of stories published by GW a looooooong time ago (probably even before Black Library came into being!) called 'Ignorant Armies'. In it there was a story I can only just about remember about a guy becoming obssed with trying to see into a wizards garden. I think the wizard was a sorcerer of Tzeentch and when the guy finally gets to see the garden he goes mad.

I'd like to do something similiar, the plan being to do a 'display board' for the army along the lines of a walled garden. The walls would be all broken down and moss covered obviously. The army itself would probably consist of the Greater Daemon in the form of a giant rotted tree, the Plague Bearers (armed with gardening tools - scythes, rakes, shears, etc), a single Beast of Nurgle (maybe chained up as a dog would be) and the Nurglings in the form of bloated flies, slugs, spiders, etc.

I may be popping into my local hobby store tomorrow to maybe get a few bits: wire, putty, shaping tools, etc. As soon as work starts so will the blog. I'll post a link in this thread too!

Master Stark
13-04-2009, 16:24
I think that this is an absolutely amazing idea! I can just see the evil grinning demon-trees right now!

Solasun
13-04-2009, 16:40
You mean like this one - http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/ultraforge/treelordcolor2.jpg

Kool-Aid Nurgle Tree Lord would be win.

brotherAkkyshan
14-04-2009, 14:17
Popped into my local (non-GW) gaming store this morning and had a look through the Daemon armies book... :(

Not sure if I've got the attention span to sculpt 20 Plague Bearers from scratch! The only viable list I could see from the book would be two units of ten Plague Bearers, half a dozen or so Nurgling bases, a Beast of Nurgle and a Great Unclean One i'm not even sure I could include due to points limitations on Lords and Heros (I'm not a fantasy player so this was a shock to me!). I was hoping to do more Nurglings than Plague Bearers really, I think twenty would not really fit with the 'victorian walled garden' theme, there would simply be too many!

Really not sure what to do now...