PDA

View Full Version : Wheel of Time Fantasy Army

the Engineer
13-04-2009, 00:46
Has anyone ever converted or otherwise attempted an army representing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series? If so what did you use and what army book did you use?

Horus38
13-04-2009, 02:37
Interesting idea, never drew any comparison myself. Obvious examples would be:

* Beasts of Chaos for Trollorcs.
* Warriors of Chaos to get a better blend of all the Dark One's gribblies.

Cypher, the Emperor
13-04-2009, 02:53
I would suggest Brettonians, just because so much of RJ's stuff is ripped off from Arthurian Legend. I just don't know what you would do to make it particularly "Wheel of Time", I mean, the narnia army was based on the movies, but there isn't a lot of art for wheel of time that isn't just average looking generic fantasy art.

Stuffburger
13-04-2009, 03:22
None of the WoT stuff (at least up to book 8, where I gave up) seemed to particularly lend itself to an interesting warhammer army. The aes sedai (sp? been a while) do to an extent but apart from greens with a clump of warders all that takes care of is casters.

I think the best you could really do is have a no-gunpowder empire army with some WoT imagery, female casters and a warder hero. A historical range of mini's would fit better I think but other than that... I got nothing.

Kerill
13-04-2009, 03:27
Why would you want to base an army around a dodgy fantasy rip-off of Dune?

Frep
13-04-2009, 03:32
Watch what you say there pal :) In all honesty I've read Dune and the WoT and never really made that connection, but now that you say it I do see the connection. I still like Wheel of Time more, I woudn't label it a dodgy rip off, just somewhat simi;ar

Kerill
13-04-2009, 04:23
Watch what you say there pal :) In all honesty I've read Dune and the WoT and never really made that connection, but now that you say it I do see the connection. I still like Wheel of Time more, I woudn't label it a dodgy rip off, just somewhat simi;ar

Well we can agree to disagree :)

Still WOT is nowhere near as bad in the "similarity" stakes as Sword of Shannara.

Staurikosaurus
13-04-2009, 08:26
The start of WoT is nearly identical to that of LotR, I found.

At any rate, if you are looking to do a WoT army, why not an Empire army based around The Band of The Red Hand?

Edonil
13-04-2009, 08:41
The start of WoT is nearly identical to that of LotR actually.

At any rate, if you are looking to do a WoT army, why not an Empire army based around The Band of The Red Hand?

The start of a lot of book series are nearly identical to that of LotR...Shannara, Eragorn, and probably half a dozen others. It's something of a tradition...and at least Robert Jordan made it into something his own afterwards. Even during the beginning, for that matter. But, I digress...

Band of the Red Hand would be an excellent 'good' army to do. See Knife of Dreams for some good ideas there. Beyond that, Trollocs, Myrdraal, and accompanying ideas are your other best bet. WoT armies that are discussed in detail, with the exception of the Aiel, the Band, and the aforementioned Trollocs, tend to be very One Power heavy. Look at the asha'man for pity's sake.

Durloth
13-04-2009, 10:10
I love WoT and have been wanting to make a Bretonnian army based on the battle of Emonds Field, when Whitecloaks, villagers and Aes Sedai fought off the attackers. It would be so simple to make, as the Bret` army have everything you need to represent the good forces represented at the battle...

Crymson
13-04-2009, 11:01
A friend of mine once made an Aiel army. We didn't use any particular book; he came up with an army list and stats and we talked it over before agreeing on a final list.

bob_the_small
13-04-2009, 11:26
Somebody enlighten me..... What IS the Wheel Of Time?

The Red Scourge
13-04-2009, 11:43
Somebody enlighten me..... What IS the Wheel Of Time?

If you read this thread, it shall reveal both that is a series of books and its authors name :rolleyes:

Ubermensch Commander
13-04-2009, 17:33
I really wanted to do a Trolloc themed Beastman army, but unfortunately found the lists I made did not match up to what I envisioned in my head. Myrrdrals were impossible to properly or even adequately represent and other than Bestigors, the others just did not feel right. The skirmishing also felt a bit off to me. I see Trollocs are more "solid mass mob and smash" rather than skirmishy grab and smash. Dreadlords? You could use a human model and rules for a Bray shaman...but again, didnt feel right to me. Centigors were right out, as were the Shaggoths.
Anyway, Band of the Red Hand can be done with Empire, as could a decent Borderlands army I think. Now a real challnge would be the crazies from the East, and all their exotic mounts and enslaved Aes Sedai.

But this is all my opinion. If you feel a ruleset adequately represents a WoT army DO IT. and then post pics cuz I wanna see! hah.

Jind_Singh
14-04-2009, 09:53
A lot of the borderlanders could be excellently done with Kislev troops.
Band of the red hand would be Empire, but need ornate models from back in the day with the Altdorf crest on the models
Trollocs is obv the beasts, but myyydrals are tricky, dark elf lords converted to get tall, lithe figues, but greenstuff the face to make it eyeless
senchan! i would love to see them, they would be ideally Cathy but sadly no models :(

Mercules
14-04-2009, 14:12
A friend of mine once made an Aiel army. We didn't use any particular book; he came up with an army list and stats and we talked it over before agreeing on a final list.

Woodelf rules would fit the Aiel very well other than the "Forest Walkers" rule. I'd create a list heavy on Wardancers with a few Glade Guard and Glade Guard Scouts as core and Waywatchers as Rare.

WoT books were good up to a point. Then he was droning drivel. In books 7-8 we don't need a city we have visited several times in books 1-6 described in detail that is for the most part word for word from another book.