PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About Ork Nobz Bases

Malakai
13-04-2009, 05:46
I've never played against or with an Ork army and was wondering how you distinguish between Nobz and regular boys. I know Nobz are slightly larger, but all grouped together doesn't it get a bit confusing?

Legally I know that it's quite alright to put them on the 25mm bases they are supplied with, but wouldn't it be easier to put them on 40mm bases like Terminators?

As it's been a while since I've played would there be any detrimental effects of putting them on the larger bases?

(By the way, I'm asking cause I'm thinking of picking up AoBR)

Thanks

Thrax
13-04-2009, 05:51
I don't see any problem with giving them larger bases, but I don't think it's necessary. They usually are distinguishable enough due to their size and wargear. Personally I also add shoulder plates to my nobs to show they have a bit more armor. The nobs in AoBR are fairly imposing so pick up a box and judge for yourself!

MajorWesJanson
13-04-2009, 05:54
if it has a klaw, it's a nob. Easy way to tell :D

MadJackMcJack
13-04-2009, 10:08
You tell them apart the same way you tell apart any elite unit or squad leader: model equipment, appearance and paint job. Nobz are noticably bigger then regular boyz, have flashier equipment and are usually painted with darker skin. I've never once had a problem finding a Nob within a squad (unless he's hidden behind a building or ruin and I've forgotten he's there :()

Ganymene
13-04-2009, 10:50
I think Nobz should be put on 40mm bases for aesthetic reasons. They are much larger than a normal Ork Boy, and they barely fit on the 25mm bases.

There are some gameplay issues with putting them on 40mm bases, but it's not anything big. If you are playing in a casual environment, I would suggest talking it over with your gaming group to see if they mind.

MrGiggles
13-04-2009, 12:43
Well, I grumbled about the rumour of Nobz going onto 40's before the new box came out. That was just based on the number of them I had around. In retrospect though, I've got to agree with Ganymene. Whether they're intended for 25's or not, the models are large enough (especially the new Nobz which are wider than the old) that they'll look great on 40's.

Coasty
13-04-2009, 13:51
The nobz that come with the boyz box aren't as large as the others (would have made good skarboyz if we still got those...), but they'll usually have a klaw and a bosspole, so they'll probably stand out.

Alessander
13-04-2009, 13:54
that's what the bosspole is for =C)

dal9ll
13-04-2009, 22:14
I really dont see any advantage to using the larger round bases on them.

Joewrightgm
13-04-2009, 22:21
The plastic nobs that were made available with all the options are very intimidating models. On 25mm bases they definitely seem to 'want out'. I like it though, and I think it looks great.

That said, the rules explicitly state it is acceptable to base a model on a larger base than it was supplied with, just not one smaller.

Also, they're big enough in my opinion not to pose a problem to people trying to spot them on the table top.