PDA

View Full Version : Can all SM Rhinos (evn the older ones) be used in the 5th ed codex?

nexttothemoon
13-04-2009, 08:13
Just wondering if there is any problem with using the older model Rhinos in a SM army with the 5th ed SM codex? Does everyone generally mix and match older models with newer models in their SM army lists?

nightshade_eyes
13-04-2009, 08:18
I see no problem with the older Rhinos. A Rhino is a Rhino.

It's good see to older Rhino's especially when they haven't ended up looted by Orks.

Thud
13-04-2009, 08:19
I only have the old models, six or seven in total, for my Space Wolves and I certainly do not intend to buy new ones.

sic
13-04-2009, 08:28
I only have old rhinos (and razorbacks for that matter) and i have no intention of buying new ones. Ive got 4 rhinos so it would be expensive and unnecessary to replace them, they were and still are legit GW models so i cant see why you wouldnt be able to use them.

Jellicoe
13-04-2009, 09:07
I bought mine when they were 3 for 10 and after a new paint job are good as new, no intention of replacing. Even the limited conversion I did back then has stood test of time (matchbox M3 Honey turret with twin bolters)

chromedog
13-04-2009, 10:44
I don't have any problems with them, and I still use them (used two for my DH stormies just this weekend in a tourney).

A rhino model is a Rhino model. Both are GW models and even at a GW event, fit the description of "GW" models.

Tyron
13-04-2009, 11:01
The older rhinos are a lot smaller than the newer ones :angel:

waiyuren
13-04-2009, 11:55
Thats the truth. They are smaller, but only in height and only by half an inch.... which only really applies rules wise if you play with a lot of low walls on the table.

Which i don't. (I have two myself :) )

edward3h
13-04-2009, 12:26
I use old Rhinos for my Sisters, and I have no intention of replacing them.

I think if people started insisting that we could only use current or newer models to play the game, it would be the start of a slippery slope. Though we've already seen some problems with base sizes.

Boss Kopstud
13-04-2009, 12:57
I could direct quote Thud! 5 old Rhinos for my Wolves, and don't see a reason to change them out. And two Preds, a Vindicator, Whirlwind, and Razorback all based on the old Rhino. As far as size goes, I don't really get the issue myself.

EVIL INC
13-04-2009, 13:17
I use older models, rhinos, land raiders, dreads, RTB01 marines even an armorcast cannon of khorne as a chaos vindicater. I have only ever recieved kudos.

Giganthrax
13-04-2009, 13:30
On a related note, I think it'd be awesome if Chaos Space Marine rhinos looked like older rhino models, and the newer rhinos were the sole property of Imperium forces.

This way the chaos would really have that pre-heresy retro style, and it wouldn't be same models with just a few spikes glued on. :)

aberrant_unc
13-04-2009, 13:32
True line of sight is a tiny bonus for players who have been around a long time... lots of the old models are smaller.

Nothing like having a teenage kid say "what is that" when your midget size demon prince hops out from behind a land raider.

Spider-pope
13-04-2009, 13:36
I certainly have no problem facing old rhinos, or indeed old models, as any slight advantage they receive for being smaller is massively offset by the huge swell of nostalgia they generate. Its always a joy to see older stuff painted up well.

Angelwing
13-04-2009, 15:44
I think if people started insisting that we could only use current or newer models to play the game, it would be the start of a slippery slope.

A decade ago when I was a redshirt, GW implemented this policy for all in store games.
I can assure you that the policy didn't last for very long as attendance to gaming events took a sudden massive dive down alongside impulse buy sales.

The real joy is when using old models and newcomers to the hobby ask excited questions about 'those cool old models'. Yes I admit it. I like having my ego stroked now and again! :D

Aegius
13-04-2009, 16:09
In imperial armour 2, it describes the older model rhino as still in service with some of the more venerable space marine chapters. Older equipment, especially equipment touched by the Primarchs will be welcomed on the field of battle and its loss felt even more than the loss of one of the newer models.

Use the model, but feel sad when it is exploderised as a part of your chapters history is gone forever. /cry

Grazzy
13-04-2009, 16:44
3 old rhinos and 3 old vindicators in my marine army. I do not like using my 2 razorbacks because they are the new ones and don't look right next to my other tanks.

Count de Monet
13-04-2009, 17:36
As said many times before, use them, no issues. Plus, the treads are a lot easier to assemble. ;)

I do think it would be cool to see an army done up with the older Rhino chassis used for Rhinos/Razorbacks/Whirlwinds and newer ones for the more heavily armored Vindicators/Predators. :)

AngryAngel
13-04-2009, 17:42
Old rhinos look fine to me, if anything they make me chuckle when I see them. I'm not a huge fan of the old models, but they do bring up the old days and do make me smile.

borithan
13-04-2009, 17:50
The original predators actually look more sci-fish than the current ones (and the previous daft looking metal/plastic hybrid ones). Which I had some... I use both, mostly the older ones (I got 3 from a friend shortly after they stopped selling them, and I had one and an old Annihilator already).

Ubermensch Commander
13-04-2009, 18:02
Meh, minor rules advantage and it is somewhat baffling with the clown car effect of a squad of marines popping out of it...but such are the mysteries of the Emperor.
Really, no problem and its completely rules-legal, I just prefer the lool and scale of the new ones.

shin'keiro
13-04-2009, 20:33
Can all SM Rhinos (even the older ones) be used in the 5th ed codex?

Ofcourse they can !

Shadesfox
13-04-2009, 20:35
GW sold me the model, they better let me use it!

Granted they sold it to me back in, say, 1999, but still.

MrMojoZ
13-04-2009, 22:46
Better question, why does this even need to be asked?

LonelyPath
13-04-2009, 22:55
Yes, you can use your older rhinos, I do and never had a complaint. Also never had complaints about those vindicators I converted from rhinos using the instructions in thee olde WD118 from all those years ago. Well, I had to use up all the old kits somehow and seeing how I bought I load for pennies when they were discountinued I wasn't about to let them go to waste.

I do need to buy new kits for new armies (if I can't strip models in other armies if they're still in use), but that's not much of a big deal as I often have a redundent army or two lying around.

Ah, I still have some of the original rhino APC boxes somewhere, back then they were 4.99 for 3 kits :)

Eldartank
13-04-2009, 23:07
I use the newer models, because I think they look cooler, and more realistic. However, the older models are still legal, and well-painted (or nicely converted) older models will definitely draw lots of positive comments. I've often enjoyed playing games against someone with older models, particularly the REALLY old models that I've never seen before, as they are always the subject of interesting discussions during the game.

Besides, if GW ever did something so foolish as banning older models, they would be setting themselves up for some serious financial trouble (like a sudden large drop in sales and tournament attendance, etc).

I heard a rumor that GW was actually going to ban older model Rhinos/Predators from tournaments, and that caused so much outrage that they quickly backed off the idea instead of implementing it. Like I said, a rumor, so I don't know if it's true....

chromedog
14-04-2009, 06:52
In a related issue.

A CSM player was asked how he could fit so many Thousand sons in his rhinos (he was running smaller old ones).

"Take them out of their armour and they'll fit in the ashtray".

Hellebore
14-04-2009, 06:57
I find the fact that this question needed to be asked a little sad. :(

I tuly hope the game does not develop into an extreme WYSIWYG where you can only play with the latest miniatures with the latest edition, but that would certainly give GW more money...

Hellebore

Heimlich
14-04-2009, 07:12
If you want to use it, you are allowed to. It is even tourney legal. I'd just rather use a newer one. Or a DP!

Wolf123
14-04-2009, 07:27
It is even tourney legal.

No it's not. In my tournament I've banned all rhinos.

And Pink Models.

And Imperial Guard (*********** Guard)

</SARCASM>