PDA

View Full Version : WOTR - spear armed soldiers

VeriNasti
13-04-2009, 09:29
For my wood elf force, i was reading the rules and it said that you could either have -
A = Glaive, throwing daggers, etc
or
B = Bows, throwing daggers, enchanted cloak, etc

What happens to the spear armed wood elf elves that have neither bow/glaive on the model?

Thanks

sartarius
13-04-2009, 09:33
i believe they count as having hand weapons only then
unless you model glaives/bows onto them

VeriNasti
13-04-2009, 09:37
thats pretty stupid, could you just claim they have bows/glaives and put them in a seperate formation??

Odin
13-04-2009, 10:07
thats pretty stupid, could you just claim they have bows/glaives and put them in a seperate formation??

I guess you could put them in the rear ranks of glaive-armed companies, as long as you make it clear to your opponent what the companies are armed with.

sartarius
13-04-2009, 10:14
as long as you pay the points for them and say they are armed with glaives then ur opponent should understand if not...you're allowed to curse them :P

Emissary
13-04-2009, 10:35
At our store we're aiming for the "they unit is equipped with what the majority of them are modeled with" rule from warhammer. IE, my 6 company formation of orcs with greatweapons has 4 bases worth of models with greatweapons and 2 companies worth sprinkled in with bows/shields.

General Veers
13-04-2009, 11:36
Glaives replace handweapons. If someone wants to pay the points for their spear holding elves as armed with glaives, I think they can. However, I hope elven players make it clear what units are armed with what.

Rirekon
13-04-2009, 12:41
For my wood elf force, i was reading the rules and it said that you could either have -
A = Glaive, throwing daggers, etc
or
B = Bows, throwing daggers, enchanted cloak, etc

What happens to the spear armed wood elf elves that have neither bow/glaive on the model?

Thanks

Actually they come with hand weapons which you can then replace with glaives or longbows. The spear armed models represent hand weapons :)

VeriNasti
14-04-2009, 06:10
Thanks guys, i think i will just use them as glaive elves - need more combat in my elf army

krashreed
16-04-2009, 18:17
Wow! I thought it was bad enough that the Warriors of Minas Tirith came with 16 warriors and 8 archers thereby building two formations at the same time. I think its a terrible mistake on GW's part to put three different formation warriors in a box requiring you to purchase more boxes with companies of models you don't want to field. OR it could be marketing genius by GW to force people to play with formations that are standard since you have the models sucking up points you would have spent on rare or legendary formations. I for one had no intention to use Minas Tirith Archers until I bought my Warriors and had three formations of archers just sitting there.

takaetun
17-04-2009, 05:40
Uh.

How about the fact that when they came out, the boxes were for SBG and thus made total sense? They weren't made for WotR, there is no malicious intent on GW's part in this case.

As for the glaives, just say they're using very long handled glaives. :P

HeraldOfTheFree
17-04-2009, 09:23
Wow! I thought it was bad enough that the Warriors of Minas Tirith came with 16 warriors and 8 archers thereby building two formations at the same time. I think its a terrible mistake on GW's part to put three different formation warriors in a box requiring you to purchase more boxes with companies of models you don't want to field. OR it could be marketing genius by GW to force people to play with formations that are standard since you have the models sucking up points you would have spent on rare or legendary formations. I for one had no intention to use Minas Tirith Archers until I bought my Warriors and had three formations of archers just sitting there.

Wait wait wait. Spears in WotR are hand weapons. Clearly says so in the hand weapon description in the rules. So with a box of Minas Tirith, you get two companies of hand weapon troops and one of bows - not three, since spears aren't different!
And, as others have said, the boxes were released before WotR.
(Not intended as a tirade! :) )

pyremius
17-04-2009, 13:03
If you really want to grumble, look at Easterlings: 1 company of hand weapons, 1 company of archers, and 1/2 company of Pikes. I'm hoping that there's a new sprue for them at some point in the near(ish) future, as I'd really like to field both a decently-sized formation of pikes and some other factions such as Hardrim without having to buy an extra army's worth of minis.