PDA

View Full Version : Playing with 3-5 ppl

Takaratie
17-12-2005, 09:14
Hi all

Let me explain the situation, me and an couple of other ppl ( around 5) play once every week.
Whe made an system that alows more then 2 ppl to play against each other ( its kinda free for all ).
whe play 1000 point games that contain all the normal rules with exeption of the magic phase.
If its an targeted spell ( magic missiles etc) the player that is target gets to dispel.
But there are the random spells ( invocation of Nehek etc), the dispeling go,s a little differnt.
Whe all roll an dice, the one with the highst score gets to dispel.

Here,s my question, are there any other ppl that have an simmelar system ?
if so share your tips/ hints/ stories plz ;).
Im very curiuos if there are any other ppl that play these chaotich but funny battles.

Mouldsta
17-12-2005, 13:49
We tend to play 2 v 1, with the 2 smaller armies having to be legal armies in their own right. It means that one side only has to have 3 core (in 2k for example) and can have a lord, but the other side could potentially get 6 heros, and can have nasty combos (dwarfs + elves is pretty nasty)

User Name
17-12-2005, 16:24
I find that 2 on 1 or 2 on 2 is the simplest way to play a game like that, it saves a lot of complexities.

Against 2 on 1 weather or not the armies are legal or not really has to be left up to choice each game. As said above some armies combined are very good but at the same time they may just nicely complement the others playing style. And giving one side a lord and the other none is only really a big problem when playing magic heavy armies (IE nearly full lvls of magic) then the advantage gained unbalances the game.

Rather I find that putting the same restrictions on both armies having the same number of slots available is a more balanced solution. Let the person with a larger army make 2 lists or limit the smaller players number of specials and characters.

Its really a matter of preference but I find that matching the slot choices is a good way to play with many people while keeping balance and not having it degrade to the level of a mega battle...

Dose anybody have good ways of doing battles with more than 2 opposing sides at the same time? I would like to do that some time but none of my group has bothered to figure a good way of doing it?

mageith
17-12-2005, 19:22
Dose anybody have good ways of doing battles with more than 2 opposing sides at the same time? I would like to do that some time but none of my group has bothered to figure a good way of doing it?

We play a King of the Hill version for four separate armies, using what I call simultaneous movement rules. We've done it several times. Movement and combat is done based on a order starting with the longest shooting range/Movement value (count charge range) with each UNIT doing it's entire turn before the next unit moves. Using 5 armies would require some agreement since a table isn't easily divided into five areas.

There is no magic phase. Magic is cast as needed. In fact there are no phases at all. There are turns.

Mage Ith

User Name
18-12-2005, 00:00
are equal movement values done at the same time or dice off to see who goes first?

mageith
18-12-2005, 03:29
are equal movement values done at the same time or dice off to see who goes first?

Good question. One of our players suggested that if Mv values are equal the unit with the lighter armor moves first. It seemed so logical, we immediately accepted it. If that is still a tie, we dice off each turn.

Mage Ith

Quetzl
18-12-2005, 09:38
I played a few crazy games like this when I started playing Fantasy, and they didn't work at all so we didn't play them anymore...

Although in my expierence having large free for alls can be fun, but they take for ever to set up and play. So if I had to play a multi player game again, I would hope it would 2v2 etc.

Neknoh
18-12-2005, 10:16
mageith: if I understand you correctly, you base your mega multiplayer rules on the Lotr turn rules? That first, there is movement of all armies, then, there is magic, shooting, etc.?

mageith
18-12-2005, 17:40
I played a few crazy games like this when I started playing Fantasy, and they didn't work at all so we didn't play them anymore...

Although in my expierence having large free for alls can be fun, but they take for ever to set up and play. So if I had to play a multi player game again, I would hope it would 2v2 etc.
Never played LOTR, never read their rules, so don't know.

I've been playing this simultaneous system in conventions for about five years and even showed Gav it about three years ago when he came to the convention.

It worked pretty well from the beginning except for magic. I tweak with that a lot. There's less bookkeeping in most of the game because each unit's actions are adjucted at once. However, the magic system requires a little more bookkeeping that usual so they about offset each other--mostly keeping track of dice.

It does take time, but I've played 5000 points on a side games with up to 4 players on a side in less than 5 hours. I think that would be good even if two players played with 5000 points on a side. The conventions give us 8 hours and we always end early.

Several players come to almost all of them and several have said they wished warhammer always played like this.

Mage Ith