PDA

View Full Version : Thematic dices

Frostea
13-04-2009, 13:13
Has anyone actually seen something along the lines of dices that have similar themes to 40k armies? Personally, I've looked around google and can't really find dices suitable for my black templars nor grey knights army. I ended up buying Chessex's Frosted(TM) black/white dices for my BT.

On another note, do anyone actually use thematic dices?

Vote Kantor
13-04-2009, 13:48
no but it sounds like a great idea, if only i had the money, so many concepts, so little ability
can you give me any examples other than, its khorne, so i used red dice. thanks

oh, and your poll dosent work

EDIT: oh, and for the title, its "DIE" i know, hilarious isnt it

Frostea
13-04-2009, 14:18
/facepalm looks like I failed and left the days for vote as 0...

Anyways, for Khornate armies I saw a perfect set of die

http://www.legendgames.co.uk/acatalog/Chessex_Scarab_Dice.html

Look at the Scarlet/Gold ones. Absolutely lovely.

Rick Blaine
13-04-2009, 15:00
Do these count?
http://www.dicecollector.com/D6_OPAQUE_ROUNDED_SOLID_Q_WORKSHOP_WARSEER_04.jpg

TheBigBadWolf
13-04-2009, 15:04
Do these count?
http://www.dicecollector.com/D6_OPAQUE_ROUNDED_SOLID_Q_WORKSHOP_WARSEER_04.jpg

Those ones are ace :D

By army specific dice are you meaning a custom job on the 1 spot, like the ones GW make with the aquila or like the ones above which are awseome.

Vepr
13-04-2009, 15:09
I want Tyranid dice that can genetically alter themselves to match the roles I need at any given moment. ;)

Ravenous
13-04-2009, 15:12
You can actually get custom ones done at Chessex.com

Tae
13-04-2009, 15:16
I have thematic dice for all my armies.

My Iron Hands have nice Black/Silver speckled dice (all be it sadly a size larger than I originally wished them to be), my WoC Tzeentch have blue/yellow dice and my DoC Slaanesh have niec pink/purple/silver ones (which also double up on the rare occasion I break out my dark elves).

the1stpip
13-04-2009, 15:24
I have recently purchased a set of green Space marine dice with helmets for a 6, for my Sallies. I have some FoW American dice with stars for my Guard, and I have a set of club dice with the club logo on.

Boss Kopstud
13-04-2009, 16:26
I've got big honkin' 20mm dice for my Wolves. I roll both red and black for my Grey Gunters (since that's the pack marking color combo), red and yellow for my Blood Claws, whilte and black for the Long Fangs (which I almost never use) and yellow black for Wolf Guard and characters..... For my Orks, I have red dice with black pips for the (Evil Sunz) trukk boyz, black with white pips for the (Goff) slugga boys, blue with white for the Lootas, yellow with black for the (Bad Moon) MANz.... Man, I need to get a life....

EVIL INC
13-04-2009, 20:23
I bought a set of amythyst colored ones with gold numbering to match my Dungeon Lords chaos army. They evidently must have been made by imperialist scum as they wouldnt roll for crap when I used them with my army but let anyone else use them and they "worked" fine.
I sold them.

Tal'Shar Caltarin
13-04-2009, 21:26
I wonder whether using a little model paint (equal on all sides) on some cheap dice would significantly alter their rolling rates? If not, it'd be awesome to see some dice painted like a Tyranid carapace, or even have nasty puss-yellow eyes painted into the pips for a Chaos army. Ideas? "That's a really bad idea because..." objections?

Frostea
13-04-2009, 21:27
I wonder whether using a little model paint (equal on all sides) on some cheap dice would significantly alter their rolling rates? If not, it'd be awesome to see some dice painted like a Tyranid carapace, or even have nasty puss-yellow eyes painted into the pips for a Chaos army. Ideas? "That's a really bad idea because..." objections?

It wouldn't, but the paint will gradually fall off with use.

Tal'Shar Caltarin
13-04-2009, 22:43
It wouldn't, but the paint will gradually fall off with use.

Would Minwax or something similar help with that? Maybe some spray-on laquer?

Frostea
13-04-2009, 23:06
Maybe, but practically anything you paint on is liable to falling off due to misuse.

E.g. Die drops off table, crack forms in the wax/laquer/varnish. Several throws of the die excavates the problem and paint starts falling off visibly.

Tal'Shar Caltarin
13-04-2009, 23:10
I suppose. I think it'd be worth it. : )
I might just paint some of my dice... after I'm done painting my Genestealers and Hormagaunts.

Snipingranger
14-04-2009, 00:21
theme dice? Im perfectly fine with the normal black and white, and I really dont have the money to buy new ones especially in this hobby
I usually see the dice that GW sells (like the Mines of Moria, or Fantasy) are all wastes of money. They are Dice! 12 dollars for D6 is a waste!

holmcross
14-04-2009, 06:50
I would, but the ones that I like are just too expensive.

http://q-workshop.com/products.php?lang=EN&sell_type=DETAL&currency=EUR&category=Special%20Cyber-D6

and

http://q-workshop.com/products.php?lang=EN&sell_type=DETAL&currency=EUR&category=Special%20Chip-D6

I'd love to have around 25-30 of either of those for my Necrons.

Q-workshop makes the coolest dice I've seen so far. But at 2/6 Euros per D6, I'll only get to drool over em.

Wolf123
14-04-2009, 07:31
Dice.co.uk do excellent custom dice.
I've got some done for my wolves and they are fantastic.

Just remember whatever you do get make sure the design is lineart, as a huge open design will just result in rubbed away paint.