PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Rivendell [WotR Elves]

Faeslayer
13-04-2009, 15:48
Every elf list I can think of seems so tiny... but I suppose that's how elves should be. Anyway, here 'tis:

High Elf Regiment (3 companies, banner bearer)

High Elf Archers (3 companies, captain)

High Elf Archers (3 companies)

Rivendell Guard (2 companies)

Great Eagle

Elrond
Gil-Galad

The units without captains will contain the heroes.

Any thoughts? This is my first list. I'm concerned the units are too small, and that Gil-Galad's cost is too steep for 1500.

dtjunkie19
13-04-2009, 18:28
I like the theme, and you definitely will have a lot of might (14).

I really find that archery units do not need captains. Yes the might can help take down a monster, however the captain is better in combat units as he can use that might for duels (and also for killing monsters).

Also I find banner bearers to be not worth their cost, however this is coming from a Fallen Realms player, so losing a banner bearer gives me a whole company of pike-armed easterlings. I'm not sure what you would do with your 35 points if you drop the bearer.

Faeslayer
13-04-2009, 18:32
I was already a tiny bit short of 1500, so that 35 would be enough to add a company of Rivendell Guard... that seems like a good idea!

Axis
18-04-2009, 02:58
I think archers do need captains. It means when enemies get close you can do a heroic move followed by a heroic shoot. 24 inches is enough to get out of a tight spot! High elf archers are dangerous. I am sometimes tempted to put a banner bearer in with them because they are only slightly worse in combat than normal high elves (because they have no glaives).

Personally i would drop the great eagle for more captains. I'm not quite sure of the role you have in mind for it. If you want a monster i would honestly take glorfindel or an ent over it.

I, too, would be hesitant with gil-galad in 1500 points. You could drop him for glorfindel or an ent so that you have a monster. I would also be tempted to drop the rivendell guard. If you want to keep them i have this feeling you need at least 3 companies or they die too easily. You only need to kill 12 and then poof. Even with defence 7 that isn't too hard.

Faeslayer
18-04-2009, 04:24
Yeah, no real plan for the eagle, other than "have a *******' eagle". I like them more with this army than Ents, style-wise, but I can't really say there was a role it was going to fill.

Gil-Galad is a tempting hero, but it would be nice to have a Glorfindel out there for everyone to worry about. And it would be nice to have all those extra points use on other stuff. Elves are so expensive!

Also, I think I calculated the cost of the Rivendell Guard incorrectly. :(

Yeah, I think I'll just rewrite this one from scratch.

Thanks!

Axis
18-04-2009, 14:25
I understand what you mean about gil-galad being really tempting. I've got him on my desk at the moment and every time i look at him i want to field him. But 300 points is very steep and at only 1500 that is a huge amount of your army... mind you, you get some excellent beneifits... F10, aiglos, 6 points of might..mmm!

Jorgen_CAB
18-04-2009, 14:39
In my opinion a standard Elf archer regiment should be 3 companies one captain and a Hornblower. You can move on the double 18 inches and shoot with Heroic Shoot. This will enable you to outmaneuver your opponent at every turn pretty well.

I'm planning to start an elven army later on so I will have to see what they can do when I field them.