PDA

View Full Version : will drones be fearless?

Mars
17-12-2005, 12:04
Just wishful thinking here, especially as we would have heard about it by now if it were so.

But will drones be fearless? And will they still be counted for casualities when taking moral tests?

aglim
17-12-2005, 12:25
I really hope not....it doesn't make any sense to me...!

Hoshi No Koe
17-12-2005, 12:49
I'm hoping there's a rule that makes them not take away the IC status from a character.
I can live with them counting towards morale checks as I can see the disheartening effect of shour protective shields being blown away, but I'm mostly concerned about how it could screw over Shadowsun unless she's got some kind of improved stealth system. Stealth fields are nice but shadowsun will need to get in close with her FB's and it's not that hard to pass the test for LoS at close range which will make her an easy target for rapid fire volleys and such if she's not an IC.

Brimstone
17-12-2005, 13:47
But will drones be fearless? And will they still be counted for casualities when taking moral tests?

No and yes in that order. IIRC drones take on the LD of the unit they are attached to.

'm hoping there's a rule that makes them not take away the IC status from a character.
I can live with them counting towards morale checks as I can see the disheartening effect of shour protective shields being blown away, but I'm mostly concerned about how it could screw over Shadowsun unless she's got some kind of improved stealth system. Stealth fields are nice but shadowsun will need to get in close with her FB's and it's not that hard to pass the test for LoS at close range which will make her an easy target for rapid fire volleys and such if she's not an IC.

Sorry but Shadowsun counts as IC except when she is accompanied by her drones.

DireStrike
17-12-2005, 18:22
So, she might be able to not take drones? Interesting! She and Farsight both have options... is this a new trend for characters?

Brimstone
17-12-2005, 18:39
No her drones are included in her points cost and are not optional.

They form a unit together and if they are destroyed she becomes a IC.

Tom
18-12-2005, 19:12
Most important question though, is do they ignore majority toughness/armour save rules?

Brimstone
18-12-2005, 19:22
No.

Shield drones have the 'close protection' rule which means they have the same T & Sv as their owner in addition to their invul save.

Tom
18-12-2005, 19:23
No.

Sheild drones have the 'close protection' rule which means they have the same T & Sv as their owner in addition to their invul save.

Oh, so that's reasonably okay then. Ergo, they 'count as' majority toughness meaning that they can be removed first from a, say, three XV8 2 Shieldrone formation?

Fallen Angel
18-12-2005, 19:24
so now broadsides with drones will be useful....

RampagingRavener
18-12-2005, 19:42
But, will Sheilders still have their invulnerable save? So, would a drone attached to a broadside suit have 2+ armour/4+ invulnerable (most likely) or 2+ invulnerable (horribly overpowered!).

Mars
18-12-2005, 19:43
Yep, they'll have mainly fixed the gun drone issue that arose when 4th edition came out. Especially if they do indeed still get their 4+ Inv Save, although that would suggest a point cost increase :eek:.

Although gun drones will still be pretty useless, except maybe for small units.

I'm thinking two xv88's with S&P and shas'vre with two gun drones. Deploy behind cover, hold and fire sms/move up and target heavy enemy targets. Anti-tank fire will hopefully often be the only thing with line of sight and range, thanks to their manouvrability, and it'll first have to peal away those gun drones (cheap and they get cover saves).

scramasax
18-12-2005, 22:13
This also means that shield drones will not be taken with commander because the shield drones will remove the IC status and make it target. Can commander shadowsun in the first round power off here drones so she can travel without being shot?

DireStrike
18-12-2005, 22:18
I wouldn't mind taking shield drones and losing IC status if they actually took hits, which they will with close protection.

I probably won't take them very often with my commanders, as IC status makes an excellent shield, but sometimes they'll be useful.

Mars
18-12-2005, 22:21
Hm, join a squad, remove the Commander's drones first: you get access to extra protection for your suits, and in the end the Commander still maintains his status (although I am curious if O'shova (whatever) will still be a Monstrous Creature, under 4th edition he'll die to the first 3 lascannons he meets... :(

athamas
18-12-2005, 22:48
that will make shield drones very popular if they do that!

i think it makes oshava count as a Mc in combat....

thus he would follow all the rules for one in CC, but outside he is just a normal guy, though the rules might change anyway...

NorthernMike
19-12-2005, 00:17
I think this is what some of the suits were needing. Now a unit of broadsides will be like a unit of devs, and not totally vulnerable, but able to soak some fire. More reason for me I think to choose lascannon sentinels instead of autocannon ones.
I don't really mind thins new rule at all so long as the drones are different point cost for the unit they join. Firewarrior drones should cost much less than crisis or especially b-side suits.

Stouty
19-12-2005, 01:52
I think this is what some of the suits were needing. Now a unit of broadsides will be like a unit of devs

This is what's worrying me, I don't want another shooty marine variant!:cries:

aglim
19-12-2005, 10:08
Remember that broadside will be allowed to move and fire!:evilgrin:

Xas
19-12-2005, 10:17
Yes, but also remember that the move and fire system has to be mounted on the third hardpoint. So move and fire and only two drones (from the hard wired controller), or stand and shoot and every Broadside has two drones.

cailus
19-12-2005, 11:12
However it appears there is no point in putting drones in an IC. They may give you protection but they also mean your commander can be shot at. I'd rather keep the IC status.

GW sure do come up with some stupid ideas.

Vestan Pance
19-12-2005, 15:41
However it appears there is no point in putting drones in an IC. They may give you protection but they also mean your commander can be shot at. I'd rather keep the IC status.

GW sure do come up with some stupid ideas.

Which also means the IC counts as a Scoring Unit - real dumb ;-)

Imladrith
20-12-2005, 13:27
That's strange... When the character has drones, they count as a unit; does this mean he also suffers from -1 Ld when both drones die (and the unit is therefore below half strength)? Seems rather unlikely to me..

I think (read: hope) GW has changed the retinue/IC rules in case of drones...

Imladrith

Elusive
20-12-2005, 15:39
I really wonder how the close protection rules are not overpowered with broadsides..

Kotobuki
21-12-2005, 17:42
Why is it that the Tau are the only army in the game who's HQ's become units when they buy wargear instead of remaining ICs?

SAMAS
22-12-2005, 00:29
Because They're the only IC's that can shoot past 24"

cailus
22-12-2005, 05:01
Which also means the IC counts as a Scoring Unit - real dumb ;-)

But I know how deadly a Shas'o is, so if he/she is classed a unit I would pound them first. I find a Shas' (or Sha'sel) to be a very good nuisance unit and a very good way of providing rapid reinforcements to a gunline. An Xv-8 unit can't do this because as soon as they emerge out of cover they become lascannon fodder.

In most of my battles, the XV-8's and XV-88'as generally die first. True I play mainly against Marine or Marine equivalents, so the Marines tend to control the battlefield with cheap lascannons (or in the case of Necrons super mobile Destroyers).

It has become so bad that I am sick of my XV-8's as I always use them the same way:

(1.) Hide XV-8 behind line of sight blocking terrain
(2.) XV-8's jump out from LoS blocking cover and fire.
(3.) XV-8's jump behind LoS cover.
(4.) Repeat (2.) and (3.) for 6 turns.

If by any chance the XV-8's is out of LoS blocking terrains, lascannons make shor work of them.

The new drone rules should make some progress in fixing this, but I still do not dare put my IC suits in such reckless danger.