PDA

View Full Version : sell me on an army

unheilig
13-04-2009, 16:49
i started building easterlings, but just dont like working with those models.

i love elves... but so does everyone else i know.

i am intrigued by both rohan and dwarves.

sway me?

Malorian
13-04-2009, 17:06
We have taken your mother!

Play Rohan or else we will kill her!

(Swayed?)

Faeslayer
13-04-2009, 17:17
Of those two, I like Rohan best, because they're just cool.

EDIT- though you'd make me wish I was Isengard if you went horse-lords...

bringerofdecay
13-04-2009, 17:21
dwarves, but i'm biased (i play dwarves, i'm not A dwarf -_-).

everyone and their dog is also doing rohan atm, everyone loves the hoarde of horsies but i prefer line upon line of stunties, a few bolt throwers and a couple of khazad guard/vault wardens/iron guard to spice it up a bit.

massive defence, smallish sized army (in cost, models and most importantly height), lovely models (the metals are excellent whilst the rohan stuff is from a different period in GW casting history and shows!) and hard as **** characters.

Waaagh Grignak
13-04-2009, 17:51
I also suffer from loving too many armys!

I really like Gondor, Rohan, Elves, Dwarves, Morder, Isengard, Fallen Realms and Angmar!

Getting Elves, but will kore than likely do another one or 2!

13-04-2009, 17:52
That's a balancing act. What you like vs. what those around you are choosing or have chosen already.

Agreed, elves are cool. If you did a Erebor Dwarven list, you could take a contingent of Mirkwood elven allies, just to scratch that itch. Or you could do Rohan with a contingent of Lorien allies and an Ent covering that area of the eastern marches.

Both Rohan and Dwarves have a lot to offer. I'd say consider this: What will bring added dimension to your gaming group? Which will you enjoy painting more?

unheilig
13-04-2009, 18:30
as far as i can tell, dwarves are in shorty supply in these parts (no pun intended.)

I also really like angmar. just to add a wrinkle.

kinda written off rohan now... for some of the reasons mentioned here.

ghosts or dwarves?

angmar has style... but not many options.

and it would be nice to have the fellowship at my disposal... and tom bombadil.

but i really like the idea of the witch king leading an army of ghosts too.

Faeslayer
13-04-2009, 18:38
Angmar seems really limited, and near as I can tell, and you can't take a nazgul on fellbeast as the leader (which isn't a deal-breaker, but I was surprised to see that a big flying Witch King of Angmar would have to be an ally in an Angmar list).

Is there more good than evil in your area? That'd tip the balances for me.

unheilig
13-04-2009, 18:41
i see lots and lots of trolls being painted at the shop.

lots.

Faeslayer
13-04-2009, 18:46
That sounds like a job for a dwarf if there ever was one...

Reinholt
13-04-2009, 20:48
With regard to Angmar:

Pick it if you want a very characterful army that won't look like anything else on the table. Pick it if you are willing to play an atypical force and learn tactics others won't have to use. Pick it if you want some unique background and the ability to scare your opponents.

Don't pick them if you want a high end power army. As good as ghostly legion and ghostly riders can be, they are not top-tier warriors for their points cost; a strong Angmar army is going to need to use them as complements to orc and barbarian formations (which requires a lot of models) and is going to need to make very judicious use of allies. It's a very cool side and can produce some really unique armies, but I don't think it's the power-gaming army for evil (that might be Misty Mountains).

That's been my experience with them so far. They are good, but not great, fun, and unique.

psyduck86
13-04-2009, 22:36
Just to ask a related question: I'm thinking of picking up a LotR force mainly cause of WotR, but I'm not sure what to pick up. Can anyone give a brief summary of the main forces in the game and their aptitudes? I'm slightly biased towards Minas Tirith for their cool warriors, but haven't found much info on how they play. Also interested in Easterlings, but ditto on info.

Thanks in advance!

Nu Fenix
13-04-2009, 22:38
For Fallen Realms and the Easterlings, look here - http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192217

I haven't done it for the other armies, as Im hoping someone with the same passion or their favourite army will do the same.

psyduck86
13-04-2009, 22:47
Thanks, I didn't know they were called the Fallen Realms...

Axis
14-04-2009, 02:10
Angmar seems really limited, and near as I can tell, and you can't take a nazgul on fellbeast as the leader (which isn't a deal-breaker, but I was surprised to see that a big flying Witch King of Angmar would have to be an ally in an Angmar list).

Is there more good than evil in your area? That'd tip the balances for me.

If you check pg 211 you will see you can take the Witch0king, dwimmerlaik and the tainted as part of your angmar army without them being allies.

To OP. I recommend angmar for evil as they are quite unique. I would recommend elves for good. They were the army you wanted first. They fact that there are lots of people playing elves shouldn't sway you much imo. They are lots of options with elves from a last alliance to a lorien army. Many many options and they look cool! (though they should have given cirdan a beard!!!!)

Faeslayer
14-04-2009, 02:15
If you check pg 211 you will see you can take the Witch0king, dwimmerlaik and the tainted as part of your angmar army without them being allies.

It appears to specify the epic hero versions, not the legendary formation versions.

I do hope I'm wrong!

Axis
14-04-2009, 02:17
It appears to specify the epic hero versions, not the legendary formation versions.

I do hope I'm wrong!

Touche. I didn't read that bit. My mistake, sorry. That is very lame! I suspect it might get FAQ'd but for the now that sucks.

unheilig
14-04-2009, 03:36
they don't tend to specify which versions of heroes apply. this game is story driven and as long as you arent duplicating the witch king within the army, it is very likely fine. (the ringwraiths do not have individual entries, and both entries for The Nine Are Abroad and Winged Nazgul reference the Ringwraith entry for specific ringwraith rules).

Faeslayer
14-04-2009, 03:40
they don't tend to specify which versions of heroes apply. this game is story driven and as long as you arent duplicating the witch king within the army, it is very likely fine. (the ringwraiths do not have individual entries, and both entries for The Nine Are Abroad and Winged Nazgul reference the Ringwraith entry for specific ringwraith rules).

That's true, but the combination of the unusually specific "Epic Hero" and (IIRC) the referenced page number...

Well, I wouldn't count on everyone being okay with it, at least. I certainly would be fine with it.:)

Math Mathonwy
14-04-2009, 08:07
I suggest getting hold of a dwarf or two and painting them up and seeing how you like painting them.

jaws900
14-04-2009, 08:32
Each faction have advantages and what army you chose is matter of prefrence.
Gondor, Easterlings, Trolls, Isengard and Dwarfs can take hit's very well
rohan and Harad do very well for cavary
Angmar love hard to kill spirits
Mordor and goblins love numbers