PDA

View Full Version : Balrog hiding behind Goblins?!

FuzzyOrb
13-04-2009, 17:20
Hello everyone.
Is it true that due to the rules of companies' blocking LOS a Balrog is actually able to "crouch" behind two or three companies of goblins to avoid being shot at?
I found nothing in the rules that deny this "tactic":eyebrows::cheese:

Please help me out, thanks in advance!:)

Nilhouse
13-04-2009, 17:52
It is true, and it is a rules abstraction. I would be happy if a Balrog was behind a goblin formation because it won't be able to charge (its not a flying monster) or cast spells without line of site either.

Rirekon
13-04-2009, 21:32
This is a problem? Given that Mumaks can see, and be seen, over other Mumaks there are weirder issues to worry about.

StanMcKim
17-04-2009, 03:03
It is a strange abstraction indeed. However, one can easily imagine the Balrog being in a shadow form, simply a haze of darkness roiling behind the goblins before taking corporeal form as it charges forward. Ringwraiths on fell beasts can also be imagined as swooping down from high in the sky.
Or, if you prefer something more general, think of a general 'fog of war' that sets in. The warriors may see it coming, but the goblins that are trying to eat them *right now* are more immediately threatening. In any case, if you can see even a sliver of the Balrog's base with just a sliver of a company of archers or a war machine then you can shoot at it.
-Stan

stiggie
23-04-2009, 12:35
yeh i think that the rules for war of the ring are a little messed up atm but i use misty mountains and a balrog and i've never put it behind goblins so it isnt really a big issue.. all the goblins would do is slow down the balrog who can effectively get the charge in the first turn anyway (10" move + at the double + D6+4 charge = 30" max)

Jorgen_CAB
23-04-2009, 13:31
First of all, I don't think many people here has seen a real battlefield and knows how difficult it is to see things when hundreds or thousands of people stir up dust and sand in the air at the same time.

I have been to such an event, and when the 50 men strong cavalry charged you could practically see nothing behind them...

So I do understand what these kind of rules come from...

Granted a Balrog is big, but anyway... it is an abstraction.

Though it is strange that a Mumak can see over another Mumak, I would just house rule that they don't.

Quannum
23-04-2009, 18:33
I think if that Mumak situation ever came up with me, I'd be more worried at the mere fact there were multiple Mumaks, rather than which one I could shoot.

:D

Angelust
23-04-2009, 22:30
I thought you can't charge after at the double?

Marauder
24-04-2009, 00:07
I thought you can't charge after at the double?

I believe you can.

StanMcKim
24-04-2009, 02:30
You can indeed charge after at the double.

jaws900
24-04-2009, 07:52
I'm sure it said "You Can't Charge this turn".

Rirekon
24-04-2009, 08:59
It says you can't shoot this turn :)

stiggie
24-04-2009, 16:50
lol yeh this person i play playin against thought that once. he said to me "you've moved at the double with your balrog so i know you cant charge me this turn"

*moves huge cavalry unit right next to balrog*

he seemed surprised in charge phase when my balrog was in the flank :P

TomGuadalupe
25-04-2009, 05:43
Also lets not forget that even after you do something that says you cant charge you can still use a might point to perform a heroic charge.

dtjunkie19
25-04-2009, 05:56
That is not true actually. Rather that is what heroic shoot allows you to do. Not heroic charge ;) Otherwise everyone would just heroic move and then heroic charge so movement values would be worthless