PDA

View Full Version : Treachery of Numenor - 1000 pts Gondor

Steam_Giant
13-04-2009, 18:43
My first big game will be against an Arnor force and i want to win, but still be fluffy to my army theme, which is "the Treachery of Numenor (Evil men)" If anyone has any suggestions to make this list more fluffy or more effective Id appreciate the advice.
I toyed with the idea of having the high king Elendil in posession of the one ring (given to him by his son Isildur) but decided the points cost wasn't worth it playing at 1000, So i chose Isildur to lead my forces. I dont really think taking Saruman is close to the fluff but needed some magic, any suggestions ? I chose the troops to represent a defensive force but I chose Numenorean Warriors over Minas Tirith Warriors for fluff reasons (even though the MT warriors are stronger in defense)

Epic Heros
Isildur
Saruman the white

Common formations
3 Numenorean Warriors, Standard

3 Numenorean Warriors

2 Minas Tirith Knights

2 Minas Tirith Knights

2 Numenorean Archers

2 Men at arms of Dol Amroth

Rare formations
2 Avenger Bolt thrower

Legendary formations
2 Wardens of the Keys

Fortunes
Counterspell

=995

All advice welcome

SG

Emissary
13-04-2009, 19:59
Is that 1 formation of 2 companies of the wardens of the keys or 2 formations? I think it's 1 of 2 but it's a little confusing.

Sarah S
13-04-2009, 20:22
Well it can't be two of one... because they're a legendary formation.

So I think he's separated his formations into blocks and just repeated the text to indicate the number of companies in each.

Which is a horrible way to do it and hurts my head to read.

Nu Fenix
13-04-2009, 20:29
I don't use it so I might be guessing, but is this what it would look like if you copied an army list made in Army Builder?

I would like to say that Wardens of the Keys look really good to me, as a D8 unit hat is infantry scares me!

I would like to ask the OP to put prices next to his units, as there is a chance the price of the Wardens are wrong, as many people include the base cost of the Formation as the first Company, which we have seen and corrected elsewhere.

Steam_Giant
13-04-2009, 21:54
I don't use it so I might be guessing, but is this what it would look like if you copied an army list made in Army Builder?

I would like to say that Wardens of the Keys look really good to me, as a D8 unit hat is infantry scares me!

I would like to ask the OP to put prices next to his units, as there is a chance the price of the Wardens are wrong, as many people include the base cost of the Formation as the first Company, which we have seen and corrected elsewhere.

No just knocked it up in notepad. The Wardens are 1 formation of two companies 110 for 1st and 60 after that, Ive edited the list to make it easier on the eye :o

Nu Fenix
13-04-2009, 22:10
Two Companies of Wardens of the Keys is 230 points, as it is 60 points per Company, and 110 points for the command/them being Wardens.

The 110 points does not state it includes the first Company in its price.

Sarah S
13-04-2009, 23:55
The cost is "+60 per company," not "+60 per each company after the first" or "+60 for each additional company."

So right off the gun, the thing is 110 points.

Then it's +60 points per company.

Because you have 2 companies, that's an extra 120 points.

That makes it a total of 230 points.

Reinholt
14-04-2009, 00:13
That is a lot of companies with no might, unless I'm not seeing captains in there. I think you are going to find taking companies that are only 2-3 strong with no upgrades is going to mean you lose a lot of companies quickly against competent foes.

Especially against cavalry, where you could often lose entire units before striking back.

I would say less units, maybe tone down the % of epic hero spend, and beef up the basic units first and foremost. 1000 points can be tight for that, but without it, you might lose a lot of games.

Steam_Giant
14-04-2009, 10:48
Thanks for the input and clarification on the Wardens cost, i decided to keep the legendary formation and dropped Saruman, an avenger bolt thrower and one of the knights formation, and then beefed up some characters.

Epic Heros

Isildur 85

Common formations

3 Numenorean Warriors 75, Captain of Numenor 50, Banner 35

3 Numenorean Warriors 75, Captain of Numenor 50

2 Minas Tirith Knights 50, Banner 35

2 Numenorean Archers 60, Captain of Numenor 50

2 Men at arms of Dol Amroth 70, Knight Champion 50

Rare formations

Avenger Bolt thrower 50

Legendary formations

Wardens of the Keys 110 +60