PDA

View Full Version : 3000 pts Fallen Realms Challenge!

dtjunkie19
14-04-2009, 07:54
Hey, so far in my store there is one other player who has 3000+ points and I wanted to challenge him to a big game sometime in the near future. So far my FR army has enjoyed much success, and I would love to test their mettle in an epic conflict. So I want this list to be competitive and fun in equal measures. My opponent will be elves if we get the time to do this.

Each choice will have an explanation, and I'll put a general deployment/tactics up. I'd really appreciate comments and suggestions...making a list this big is quite a task. I'm definitely not set in stone with choices, however we are starting to approach my model limits. I have a few more kataphrakts, a ton of easterling archers, khandish raiders, half trolls, a bit more haradrim, a broken mumak, another chariot, buhrder the ninja troll, maybe a bit more.

Here is my list:

3000 points- Fallen Realms - Evil Mike's Beasterling Company

Epic Heroes:

1 Amdur, Lord of Blades [165]

I am still really stuck between Amdur and Suladan. Both are great choices and provide me with a lot of might and dueling abilities. They both also provide a second inspiring leader to my list. Amdur probably would go into an easterling regiment, not only cause it would look badass but because Strength from corruption + khamul + epic rampage + rule through fear + epic strike = death. Obviously overkill, but the options would be great. Maybe drop dalamyr for suladan? Since I am 50 points under at the moment if I dont find another good use for the points maybe this would be a good idea. Besides I dont expect to face heavy cavalry since I am playing against elves and the betrayer's ability trumps dalamyr's epic poison.

1 Ringwraith [Khamul the Easterling] [125]

How could I not pick khamul? he goes into whatever formation I believe will be taking the most hits while advancing, then can move out to a unit that I want to SfC before they charge.

1 Ringwraith [Dark Marshal] [125]

The Dark Marshal is simply nasty. He bolsters the courage of my troops around him and can increase the fv of an entire formation by 1 every turn. However, once per game he can epic strike then use Rule through fear and boom my entire formation is Fight 10. This includes epic and normal heroes so When my easterlings clash with enemy heroes they will be dueled by a fv 10 dragon knight, captain (should they survive), and possibly amdur if he is also in the formation.

1 Ringwraith [The Betrayer] [125]

I'm still somewhat debating between the Betrayer and shadow lord. I'm pretty sure my opponent will bring lots of shooting to the table. But the only way the shadow lord would be effective is if I put him in the pikemen and spread them out in a line 6 wide. This would effectively shield my army from most bow fire until I'm within strike distance, but it would also severely limit the mobility of my troops and cavalry. And if there are any hills he will just shoot right over the shadow lord anyway. The betrayer is useful in any unit however. He can stay in the arbelasters and make their shots devastate the low armored elven formations or he can go up to amdur's formation and just ensure destruction. Think about it, Strength of corruption + epic rampage + bane of kings? You hit at strength 5, reroll misses, get an additional attack for every hit, reroll those misses, get another attack for all of your hits, reroll them...etc...etc. Basically turns an infantry unit into berserker ninjas of death.

1 Dalamyr, Fleetmaster of Umbar [100]

A good buy, cheap, with might and has epic strike and poison. Denies all charging bonuses. However I highly doubt I'll be facing enough cavalry if any to take full advantage. Thinking of ditching him for suladan.

Common:

1 Easterling Cohort [265]
6 companies
Captain
Dragon Knight

I like large formations to provide lots of ablative wounds. Also allows me to save points I would otherwise have to spend on more captains. The easterling Swordsmen are both my hammer and anvil. They take the hits and dish them back out with vengeance. Why no banner bearer you may wonder? Well with my ringwraiths most likely in these units I will be casting wings of terror to get extra movement as well as extra charge range. Basically if I am getting a charge (and against infantry honestly I don't really care if I get charged or not) the only way i will be failing is on a 1. And if the charge is that important I will spend a might point to make it a 2. That will give me a 10inch charge so I should almost always be in range. So rather than the banner bearer, I figured bring an extra character, one good in duels. I wont always be able to epic strike, and the dragon knight really can put some hurt down. Also gives me an extra might point over the BB that is useful in emergencies (or to duel).

1 Easterling Cohort [265]
6 companies
Captain
Dragon Knight

Same as above

1 Easterling Cohort [260]
6 companies
Pike
Captain

I'm not sure if I want to take a dragon knight here, just as I dont see where the points would come from, unless I took the banner bearer off the kataphrakts. Opinions? Otherwise this unit is my anvil unit. anything trying to break these guys will be disappointed. Elves will not even be getting many bonus attacks due to fight.

1 Black Numenorean Regiment [155]
3 companies
Black Marshal

I chose this unit because well, I ran out of easterling's not armed with bows. They definitely have a role. Being only 3 companies big they can hold a building if needed to seize a prize or the high ground. They also can be a reserve/flanking force as they will probably be a bit slower than my cavalry and wings of terror-ed easterlings. Also, making elves test for terror is just awesome.

1 Easterling Kataphrakt Cohort [280]
6 companies
Dragon Knight
Banner Bearer

Again, thinking of dropping the banner here for a dragon knight in the pikes. This unit has high enough defense and enough companies to take a big beating and still devastate on the charge. The dragon knight is thrown in for a little duel threat on top of the charge.

1 Haradrim Warband [60]
2 companies
bows

Simple throwaway archer unit. If my opponent is shooting this he:
A. Has nothing else in range or arc of sight.
B. Is hitting the only unit I have left on the board.
Cheap and still rather effective. Poisoned weapons raises their kill count a bit.

1 Serpent Rider Warband [265]
6 companies
Captain
Banner Bearer

If suladan makes it into the list he goes here. This is a simple, screen as long as possible then run into the enemy and explode unit (please dont take that the wrong way). Suladan will rip things up in duels until he finally runs out of steam. Hopefully he is up to his neck in elves by then.

1 Morgul Knight Regiment [190]
4 companies
Knight Commander

Another tough Cavalry unit, I want my opponent to be stuck hoping for 6's or 6's/4's when he tries to shoot me. Also just as deadly on the charge as the serpent riders, but causing terror. I'll try to keep them close to one of my 2 or (3) inspiring leaders to pass those courage checks.

Rare:

1 Corsair Arbelaster Formation [125]
3 companies
Captain

My heavy shooting. Plot these guys on a hill and hit anything that comes my way. If he tries to retreat outside my range, move and at the double then heroic shoot. 27 strength 3/4 shots hitting units usually gets somewhere. Also the captain gets me 1 or 2 turns in which I can ignore the normal move or shoot nature of crossbows.

1 Corsair Arbelaster Formation [125]
3 companies
Captain

Same as above.

1 Watchers of Karna Warband [120]
3 companies
Bows

Although these guys are rather expensive, I want to use them as expendable throwaway units. Ambush them from a building or wood and shoot. With a Shoot value of 3+ and poisoned weapons they can do some damage and they force my opponent to focus his attention on them for a turn. Otherwise if he ignores them they will flank/rear charge him when my main line hits.

1 Khandish Charioteer [100]

The charioteer gives me a hard hitting unit to break through any higher toughness he might have as well as serve as a tempting missile target. Give this thing the charge and it will wreak things. Yes it may be pretty easy to take down but the point is if he shoots this the rest of my army makes it and I only lose 100/200 points. Also an excellent countercharge unit if he gets a charge off on me.

1 Khandish Charioteer [100]

Same as above.

Total Army Cost: 2950 (3000 if Suladan and Dalamyr switch)

General Army Setup:

Put my easterlings in front to take the brunt of his bowfire/charges/magic while my chariots stay behind to be screened and be ready to charge/counter charge. My kataphrakts and to a lesser degree morgul knights also take the hit for the serpent guard (+ Suladan?). My watchers ambush of course and my haradrim take up a spot on a flank to tempt him to charge me there. My black numenoreans will be in the second rank to fill in when needed or break out to flank. My Corsairs will take a hill or if not possible defensible terrain or a flank. Force my opponent to funnel his forces away from the range of my crossbows.

If he takes less shooting then I expect then I would play more defensively, rain crossbow bolts on him until he comes to me.

What do you think? Comments welcome :)

And yes someone really coined the name Beasterling's for my Easterling's

Chainaxe07
14-04-2009, 14:55
Wow!
Dont know how it would perform (sorry, dont have the rulebook yet!), but for sure this would look amazing on the battlefield.