PDA

View Full Version : Charging around impassable terrain

WightKing
14-04-2009, 08:36
last night i played a t.kings vs O&G battle,and this came around turn 5.

there was a big combat -15 s.orcs to the front of my 3 ushabti facing left (all of
them in combat),and into their "upper" flank another 20 savage orcs which had charge them(OUCH!!!).
However i managed to hold loosing 1 and sufferd another 2 w.due to C.R.

NOW; 3'' to the right of the upper unit of orcs was a monolith.Behind it and to the right(ie.north east)-from my point of view- was my unit of 3 chariots having in L.O.S.the orcs.
i decared a charge taking into account all the rules (1 weeling move/pivot to bring as manny as icould in combat etc.the distance was more than enough to reach,BUT IT WAS FOUND TO BE A FLANKING CHARGE to the right of the orcs and could neither fit between the monolith and orcs nor free align because of it too!
i know that in older versions/erata you could jugle the hole bunch of units in combat arround their centre to the minimoum so at least something could fit,
and then after the combat ends return the whole bunch to their proper possition (so the possible purssuit/overun paths etc remain the same ).

is that a leagal thing to do? must i charge the rear as i come around the monolith ,or i had to consider this before and not to charge-or charge
and fail ?

Atrahasis
14-04-2009, 08:41
If you can make contact with the correct arc (in this case the flank) then the charge is legal.

When it comes to the free alignment, if you cannot align the charger then you first try to align the chargee. If you can't do that, then fudge the position of the units as little as possible to create the battle line.

WightKing
14-04-2009, 09:00
If you can make contact with the correct arc (in this case the flank) then the charge is legal.

When it comes to the free alignment, if you cannot align the charger then you first try to align the chargee. If you can't do that, then fudge the position of the units as little as possible to create the battle line.

i thought so but we had an issue -(friendly arguement)- that if so ,then whats the point of terrain if not to be there for such cases (which sounds logical),and if what we say its true then no unit in the game could be unaccessible to charges due to having another unit close to them in order not to leave enough space for chargers (especially fliers ) to fit in the 1'' gap, if we keeping making space for them

Atrahasis
14-04-2009, 09:06
Flyers are a separate (non-)issue - if they can't land then the charge fails because they haven't successfully made contact.

The terrain isn't pointless as it has limited the number of models that can enter combat - the "fudge" move isn't a slide (unless you play with sliding -- don't ;)) so it doesn't increase the number of fighters.

WightKing
14-04-2009, 09:13
Flyers are a separate (non-)issue - if they can't land then the charge fails because they haven't successfully made contact.

The terrain isn't pointless as it has limited the number of models that can enter combat - the "fudge" move isn't a slide (unless you play with sliding -- don't ;)) so it doesn't increase the number of fighters.

ok but doesen't jugling the formation obviously leads to sliding by itself?