PDA

View Full Version : Timing and the Dark Marshal

sandersn
14-04-2009, 19:10
I have a question about timing of special rules and epic actions and I'd like to know if anyone has a definitive answer or at least a valid opinion backed up by the rules. This may come out to be a simple answer, but we'll see.

So we have the Dark Marshal ringwraith and his special ability:

Rule through Fear
The Dark Marshal has Inspiring Leader (Master). Also, you may choose one formation within 12" of the Dark Marshall at the start of the Fight phase. That formation uses the Dark Marshal's Fight value instead of their own.Ringwraiths have the Epic Strike epic action.

Epic Strike
If a Hero declares an Epic Strike before he fights, his Fight value is increased to 10 until the end of the phase.
And here's the confusing way that Epic Actions are written up:

Epic actions do not always have to be declared at the start of the phase, but are called when the Hero's formation is due to act.
And finally, we get to my question:

Can you give another formation within 12" the Dark Marshal's Fight value of 10 after he calls an Epic Strike?

Rule through Fear has to be used at the start of the Fight phase. The rule for epic actions starts "Epic actions do not HAVE to be declared at the start of the phase", and the second part says "but are called when the Hero's formation is due to act." Epic Strike just says that it needs to be used before the Hero fights.

So can you call an Epic Strike at the start of the Fight phase and then use Rule through Fear?

Emissary
14-04-2009, 19:16
I would say you cannot. From the wording, you don't use epic actions until the hero's formation gets to act, but the dark marshal's ability happens before any formation gets to act.

stiggie
23-04-2009, 11:39
just flicking through the rulebook and i might be farfetched. but it doesnt say u have to declare the epic action during the combat phase? so you could use it during the shooting phase and then at the beginning of the combat phase pass it over? but your opponent would easily guess what you was planning which is the problem..

not 100% sure though

Jorgen_CAB
23-04-2009, 12:12
I interpret it like this... though it does not have to be correct mind you.

The Dark Marshal must declare his intended target for his ability at the start of the fight phase, before any Epic Actions is declared. That is my interpretation anyway...

After this that particular formation may use the Dark Marshals Fight value whatever it is when that unit is about to fight. They simply use his current Fight value.

That is my interpretation so far... his ability seem pretty powerful that way so I was hoping that the Emissaries interpretation is correct, but I'm not so sure about that.

Jorgen_CAB
23-04-2009, 12:13
just flicking through the rulebook and i might be farfetched. but it doesnt say u have to declare the epic action during the combat phase? so you could use it during the shooting phase and then at the beginning of the combat phase pass it over? but your opponent would easily guess what you was planning which is the problem..

not 100% sure though

Sure, you could declar it in the shoot phase, but since the Epic Strike effect only last until the end of the Phase... I don't think you would gain that much.

dtjunkie19
23-04-2009, 14:56
I interpret it like this... though it does not have to be correct mind you.

The Dark Marshal must declare his intended target for his ability at the start of the fight phase, before any Epic Actions is declared. That is my interpretation anyway...

After this that particular formation may use the Dark Marshals Fight value whatever it is when that unit is about to fight. They simply use his current Fight value.

That is my interpretation so far... his ability seem pretty powerful that way so I was hoping that the Emissaries interpretation is correct, but I'm not so sure about that.

I agree with your interpretation Jorgen, that is how the ability is worded.

Makes the dark marshal very fun :D

pyremius
23-04-2009, 18:24
Makes it even more fun when you use your own spellcaster to drop the Dark Marshall's Fight value to 1 after he's declared use of his power for the turn :)

dtjunkie19
24-04-2009, 04:15
however he can declare it (and the epic strike combo) after your movement/magic phase, but yes in some cases that could be a problem