PDA

View Full Version : [WotR] Charging and bonuses?

Jorgen_CAB
14-04-2009, 21:45
I have one other issue that I would like to have a ruling on...

If we have the following scenario...

A formation of Warg Riders charges a formation of Minas Tirith Warriors, who in turn are counter charged by a formation of Minast Tirith knights in the flank.

Like this...

W = four company strong Warg formation
K = four company strong knight formation
S = four company strong warrior formation

______________ KK
______________ KK
_______WW:WW KK
_______WW:WW KK
_____SSSS:SSSS

According to the rules the Wargs get +6 dice on their charge and the knights get +2 dice on their charge. two of the Warg formation get -3 dice because they are engaged in the flank.

This means that the knights get +2 total dice while any Warg company attacking them get +3 dice... seems a little wacky to me, but that is how I interpret the rules. The Warg riders get charge dice based on what they charge, not based on what they are in combat against. despite that they would get only +2 dice if they charged against both a cavalry and an infantry formation.

I really don't understand why a charging model doesn't only get the increased attack dice in their forward momentum attack vector. They even get to strike with their charge bonus against someone attacking them in the rear. Not that it would be such a problem with infantry, but with cavalry that can/will produce some strange results.

Or do I interpret the rules wrong??

This came up last night when I introduced the rules to a friend.

Edonil
14-04-2009, 21:53
Haven't played yet, not getting the rules til Thursday, but based on my understanding of the rules, I would say the Wargs do get the +3 dice. After all, they charged the infantry formation, not the cavalry formation.

Jorgen_CAB
14-04-2009, 22:02
Haven't played yet, not getting the rules til Thursday, but based on my understanding of the rules, I would say the Wargs do get the +3 dice. After all, they charged the infantry formation, not the cavalry formation.

Yes, if they strike the infantry I'm OK with it, but not when they strike the cavalry that charged them in the flank, as it is now, it seems as if they do, even the "1" Warg company that otherwise only would provide one die as support, now get to dish out 2+3=5 attacks at the knight who in return only get 2+2=4 attacks at the Warg. It would be even worse if the Warg had lances, then they could have used the bonus from them as well.

It would be better for Gondor (in this case) if the cavalry was clipped, because then the Wargs would only get +2 on the charge, since one if the formations charged is cavalry?!?!?