PDA

View Full Version : 1K Wood Elves; need help

MSU
14-04-2009, 22:09
I am a Chaos player (WoC, DoC, BoC) but I've wanted to start an army that is completely different than them. Here is my first take at a 1k Wood Elf list.

-10 Glade guard 120

-10 Glade guard 120

-8 Dryads 96

-8 Dryads 96

-5 Glade Riders 120

-5 Wild riders +musician + std + warbanner 173

-1 giant eagle 50

-1 Alter Noble 158
+ lgt arm + shield + great weapon + Helm of the Hunt + Hail of Doom Arrow

-1 Branchwraith 65 (the general)

total: 998

Strategy: Eagle marchblocks. glade guard in the middle and shoot the whole game (flee from anything). Dryads (w/ branchwraith) and cavalry go to the flanks and shoot while the opponent advances. Alter noble stays home and when the enemy gets to the glade guard, attack from all sides and hope they all break.

I don't like having no magic defense and I dont like having to add a branchwraith just so I can have a general. Any thoughts on how to make better?

MSU
16-04-2009, 17:47
Ok, well, I will just assume that this is a good place to start with WE.

Malorian
16-04-2009, 19:15
It's a fine list. The only thing I don't like is the Branchwraith.

MSU
16-04-2009, 20:23
I dont either, but I was planning on going with the Alter and I need a general and since I only have 67 pts left ... pretty much stuck with branchy unless I majorly modify the list.

LiMunPai
16-04-2009, 22:18
Those Glade Riders NEED a musician.

To fix your General problem, I'd change that noble from an alter to a mounted noble with spear and the same equipment. It is actually cheaper and the Glade Riders then become valid flanking troops.

Remove the Branchwraith and pump those Wild Riders up to 6 man.

25 shots plus the Hail of Doom arrow is right where I like my shooting to be, so I think you're golden on that front. 6 man Wild Riders with the Warbanner are really strong with the eagle in support. When you want to set up a charge using the glade riders, just break your general off and go character/warmachine hunting. I think your 1k list is right on the money is you make those changes.

The Anarchist
16-04-2009, 23:51
personaly i would drop the branchwraith and the glade riders. then put in a small unit of scouts and drop a mage in there and always take tree singing. with your eagle go either cannon hunting or with the scouts and/or alter noble hunt for enemy mages so you cna start moving the trees around to cause your opponent no end of grief.

MSU
17-04-2009, 17:49
Those Glade Riders NEED a musician.

To fix your General problem, I'd change that noble from an alter to a mounted noble with spear and the same equipment. It is actually cheaper and the Glade Riders then become valid flanking troops.

Remove the Branchwraith and pump those Wild Riders up to 6 man.

25 shots plus the Hail of Doom arrow is right where I like my shooting to be, so I think you're golden on that front. 6 man Wild Riders with the Warbanner are really strong with the eagle in support. When you want to set up a charge using the glade riders, just break your general off and go character/warmachine hunting. I think your 1k list is right on the money is you make those changes.

Does the mounted general ride with the glade riders or the wild riders? Just by adding a musician makes the glade riders valid flanking troops?, what is your reasoning (bait and flee?)?

Malorian
17-04-2009, 18:58
Yes, the musician would just be for bait and flee.

Mercules
17-04-2009, 19:03
That General couldn't ride with the Wildriders. He is not a Forest Spirit and they are.

LiMunPai
17-04-2009, 21:41
Does the mounted general ride with the glade riders or the wild riders? Just by adding a musician makes the glade riders valid flanking troops?, what is your reasoning (bait and flee?)?

My reasoning for the musician is bait and flee.

The general in addition to the Glade Riders is a valid flanker.

The mounted character isn't particularly strong, but he can be the general, can use the Hail of Doom effectively, and can warmachine/character hunt almost as well as that great weapon Alter. Also, he can be protected by staying in his Glade Rider unit or running away very quickly. I don't think he'll be a bad choice for you at this points level with the troops you plan on using.