PDA

View Full Version : Could Forgeworld take over Dogs Of War

rodmillard
15-04-2009, 01:11
Title says it all really:

In the "something secret" thread on the rumours forum, various suggestions were made for a Forgeworld army for WFB, a model range available to all armies, and a ressurection of the Dogs Of War. It occurred to me that it might be viable to combine all three.

The reasoning is as follows:

1) several people posted that an all-resin army produced by Forgeworld would be too expensive for most players. However, a single regiment of renown or allied mercenary unit would be within reach of most players.

2) The sheer variety of units that could be included in a DoW army would serve the double purpose of appealing to the widest possible range of players and giving the sculptors the widest possible freedom.

3) The nature of DoW units would best suit itself to an "Imperial Armour" type of publication. A hardback listing of various mercenary units/monsters that can be combined in one force or added to various armies on the basis of "this unit may be purchased as a special unit by armies ABC, and as a rare unit by armies XYZ" would be used by far more people (even if copies only *sold* at a rate of one per gaming group)

4) As a forgeworld publication, the units would not be tournament legal, which means that the issues of balancing a given option for every conceivable army need not apply. The units would be there purely for fluff and fun reasons (IMO the best possible reasons anyway) but the models could be used "counts as" for anything appropriate.

I've ranted enough - any thoughts?

sabre4190
15-04-2009, 01:13
I suppose they could, but they really dont do that many fantasy units. They generally like doing 40k stuff, or the occasional fantasy monster. There is nothing stopping them i guess, but you could say that for alot of stuff people want them to build.

Kushan Blackrazor
15-04-2009, 03:25
Certainly something I've considered, but as said before arn't they sort of 40k centric? Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, just doesn't seem like they have much overt interest in working on Fantasy. Hope they prove me wrong. :)

The Red Scourge
15-04-2009, 08:40
"Forgeworld" - the name really says it all ;)

Sasori_jap
15-04-2009, 09:27
I dig this!

Grimstonefire
15-04-2009, 11:22
Seeing as the vast majority of minis are still available from GW, why would FW have to take over?

They could do the equivalent of death korp and release a series of linked units. I think releasing a proper book of DoW rules only would be very easy for FW to do.

I was speaking to Mark Bedford at GD UK last year, he agreed that god specific resin torsos for WoC would be cool.

Zilverug
15-04-2009, 11:26
I'd rather have a "Living Rulebook" for Dogs of War.
Plenty of good models already available - we just need good rules!

W0lf
15-04-2009, 14:15
GW wont do DOW becuase they dont think the demand for them is/will be sufficient to warrant it.

What on earth makes you think forgeworld would do it?

Forgeworld stick to mainly 40K because it sells better, period.