PDA

View Full Version : Two evenly matched armies.

dirach.
15-04-2009, 12:38
I am starting to get into warmaster. I have started on the rulebook and want to play the game. The problem is that I have no opponents that want to invest and paint an army. So I'm thinking of buying two armies so I can play it as any other boardgame.

What I need is two evenly matched armies. They don't have to be "good" , "clever" or "effective" as I don't planning to play against other armies, they just need to be fun and evenly macthed.

I want an Empire Army and a Orcs & goblin army. And I want to use all of the troop types.

Any suggestions?

heffo
15-04-2009, 22:58
If it helps I played my first proper game last night Empire versus Kislev. Both armies seem very even with only a small number of troop choices differing between them. Maybe Orcs versus goblins would be the more classic choice.

dirach.
16-04-2009, 21:31
After some browsing I notice that the Empire can have 4 heroes and 2 wizards at 2000 points. The greenskins can have 8 heroes and 4 wizards. Would maxing out the characters, (It would save money) break the balance between the armies?

jchaos79
17-04-2009, 19:48
I dont think maxing out the characters of orc and goblin list will break the balance.

Orcs have more units (they are cheaper in points) and their characters have less leadership value. In my opinion maxing out their character is the only way of make the army mobile.

Playing with this list I realise that it becomes an unexpected army with its own life and sometimes the dice-luck makes you to change your initial plans for the battle. That is very funny and I think it takes the orc/goblin mood, but also playing with this list is an exercise of patient because the little green skins smash your plans.

The opposite mood list is the undead. They will do your plans on the battle field like a chess play.

(sorry if my english is a little bit awkward)

regards

dirach.
17-04-2009, 21:25
Thanks.

My idea for the Orcs is now, maxing the greenskin heroes, add a wyvern, a chariot for a character, 4 orcs and 4 goblins, and the rest of the choices will be one each. then I have 5 points left.

For the Empire max caracters, one griffon, 5 haleberdiers, 4 crossbows, 2 handgunners, 2 knights, 2 haleberdiers, 2 cannons and one of the rest exept the waraltar.

Any obvious winner?

azraelezekiel
17-04-2009, 22:34
Empire feedback. Not enough cavalry. Take more knights and less heroes. 7 commanders for a 2k army always seems a little excessive to me. But I know people rave about them. Same goes for the griffon or any terror causing mount.
Here is the list I would use for empire (please note this is based on how I play).

1 General
2 Heroes
2 Wizards

4 Halberdiers
2 Handgunners
4 Crossbowmen
2 Flagellants
5 Knights
2 Helblaster
2 Cannon
1 Steam Tank

Break point 11

Also whilst I LOVE the steam tank model it is notoriously difficult to use effectively and some say not worth the points. Think about replacing with another unit off knights and a magic item.
Protect your artillery with missile troops and make sure your flagellants (or any of what I call psycho troops) get their charge in first as they don't usually last long when charged.

azraelezekiel
17-04-2009, 22:40
I am only just starting my Orc & Goblin army but you definitely want to max out your spell casters for that army also the sheer number of troops dictates a larger than average number of commanders.

My same concerns in reagrds mounts apply here but that is just my preference.
You need a pair of rock lobbers with their flanks/rear protected by missile troops.

Again the game is biased towards cavalry unless you play on a very terrain heavy board so max out on your cavalry and chariots. Boar riders are fearsome (I know from being on the receiving end) and wolf chariots are useful when charging.

I can do you a list if you like but as I have said I have yet to play a game in charge of this force.

ope my comments give you something to think about.

dirach.
18-04-2009, 14:02
Tanks for the advise.

It is important to me to have most of the troops, but the griffon I can do without.

Currently my Empire list looks like this:

1 General
2 Heroes
2 Wizards

4 Halberdiers
2 Handgunners
4 Crossbowmen
2 Flagellants
4 Knights
2 Helblaster
2 Cannon
1 Steam Tank
1 Skirmishers

I still have 65 points left.

This list will meet.

4 orcs
1 Black orcs
4 goblins
1 Trolls
4 Boar riders
1 wolf riders
2 wolf chariots
2 Rock lobbers

1 Orc general
3 Orc heroes
2 orc shamans
2 goblin heroes
2 goblin shamans

35 points left

Wyvern, Ogres and giant is left out.

Would not the greenskins have an advantage as they have stronger command?

papasmrf667
04-06-2009, 04:21
Nice, I am looking to do the same thing. plan on getting two 2k armies. the two forces im thinking of starting with are HE and Skaven.
Any opinions or suggestions on that?

I have yet to play a game and most likely wont get to until i get my armies going, so i have no experience with this.

Thanks for any help