PDA

View Full Version : IG Vets

Zedsdead
15-04-2009, 15:36
Ive got a full mech ig army, cadians. I will be using vets now as my standard troops. Any suggestions on how i might (with as little work as possible :) ) make my standard looking cadians more veteran like ? what bits might look good or would there be something i could paint on ? These guys are already built and painted.

Also every squad has a chimera. do you guys add some designation to your squad to match with the chimera so its easy to tell what squad starts with what vehical ?

Cane
15-04-2009, 15:39
If you have some heavy weapons backpacks or backpack sprues from another company, they would work well in helping distinguish between different squads. Maybe even different colored helmets/shoulderpads. You can use these ideas to help with the Chimera identification as well just as long as you put on corresponding color schemes or a backpack on the tank.

Bekenel
15-04-2009, 15:41
The best way would probably just be to add little painted details - have you done up the shoulderpads already? Maybe give some of the guys some stubble or some scars.

If you really want, buy another box of guys and the Upgrade pack from FW. Mingling those guys in might help you achieve what you're after.

Landsknecht
15-04-2009, 15:46
Use different head sprues (FW are nice but expensive, also check the pig iron production ones, they're nice), differently colored shoulderpads, or just recognize them by their different equipment loadouts (example: the veterans are the ones with 3 specials while the regular guys have a heavy and a grenade launcher).

As for the Chimeras, Numeric Designations on the top hatch work fine. Some neatly painted Roman numerals can distinguish what Chimera has what.

Griefbringer
15-04-2009, 15:57
You could also have them use a bit more of camouflage to show that they have learned to make themselves harder targets on the field of battle. Pieces of foliage on the helmet or shoulder-pads, camo-netting wrapped around the guns, or just some shrubbery on the bases should be good for starters.

Forlorn
15-04-2009, 15:58
My IG army is German WWII themed and I painted my vets up as Panzer Grenadiers (old Metal Cadian Models). I used the old metal cadian Mortar Figure (the one with the binoculars) as my Sgt and gave him a backpack.

:p

Raxmei
15-04-2009, 16:05
In my army the vets are distinguished as the guys with the bayonets. Special weapons guys have sheathed combat knives. A bit lazy, but it makes it pretty easy to tell who is who at a glance.

infernus31
15-04-2009, 16:08
My Veterans are valhallan steel legion mix- the grunts are Cadians. Easy enough to tell whose who.

Bunnahabhain
15-04-2009, 16:12
My current storm troopers are about to become my veterans, as I'm certainly not using them as storm troopers any more. Also, I have enough, ~50ish, to cover any number I might really wish to do.

For easy, after painting conversions to denote veterans, camo cloaks is your best bet. Very easy and effective to do.

SPYDER68
15-04-2009, 16:13
Different color armor works to to get the difference between Vets.. and Reg Guardsmen.

Lewis
15-04-2009, 16:17
Head swaps: the less crazy flagellant heads, the bearded empire knight heads, sentinel and tank commander heads, Catachan heads on Cadian bodies....it sounds like you're already painted up though so I'd probably just go for fancy shulder pads and the odd backpack.

edward3h
15-04-2009, 16:18
I love my veterans, but they're quite heavy-duty conversions which may be more than the OP is looking for.

One squad is a mixture of the original plastic stormtroopers (anyone remember them?) and Necromunda Orlocks, with extra backpacks etc. that I had in my bitz box. They are painted in a Necromundan red and black scheme.

My other squad is a mixture of old metal Cadians and Necromunda Van Saar, again with lots of extra pouches, water bottles, gunsights etc. added from my bitz box. These guys are painted in a camo scheme.

You can't confuse these squads with my regular troopers - they are different models and colours.

Johnnyfrej
15-04-2009, 17:07
I'm thinking of getting some of those FW Cadian Respirator convertion kits now that I may actually be using my Stormtroopers and don't want to have to go "Well these ones are actually Vets."

QuietEarth
15-04-2009, 18:24
My veterans are a mix between Cadians and Catachans. They for the most pary have Cadian bodies with a few Catachan heads and then I gave most of them Catachan Heavy Weapons Teams backpacks. Then I add pieces of foilage from the Catachan Heavy Weapons teams and extra stuff on their bases like lichen and extra rocks. A few of them have scopes on their Lasguns.

Mosedeke
15-04-2009, 19:19
For my veterans I went chop happy with my completely useless voxes and gave everyone a backpack covered in extra ammo, canteens, and weapons. (Just get a Dremel and cut off all but the stubby antenna at the top, and grind away the meters if you so want, I liked how they looked on mine.) Also all their colors are much more muted. My normal Cadians have Red Gore painted armor with a white eagle for their helmet and weapons, the vets have the same armor with dry brushed mud and charcoal smeared over it, and all eagles are painted gray.

Makes them really stand out on the tabletop, with the backpacks making it very easy to distinguish them.

Eldoriath
15-04-2009, 19:56
I use the back-packs from the heavy weapon team sprue to identify/mark my veterans modelwise, and i also use another number combination on them. All of my units have 2XX on their left shoulder pad, first number indicating company, second number platoon and third number unit number. So, my veterans belong to 043, 0 indicating veteran company which in it self seldom act as a company but more as a resource pool of veteran troopers. If you become a veteran, you are re-assigned to the 0 company.

Korras
15-04-2009, 20:11
I differentiate between regular cadian troopers and Veterans by using heads with glasses and slapping backpacks on. it works simple enough.

CaptainDaris
15-04-2009, 20:18
I use the HWT backpcks, as well as the head with the chinstrap undone

LordJose
15-04-2009, 20:19
I add backpacks and helmets with googles from the heavy weapons sprues to my veterans, and other non standard equipment like one bit of space marines equipment that is like 3 little pockets together glued on the veterans shoulder pad, it appears in the spanish rulebook pag 260, in an article about a battle involving imperial guard and orks. The veteran sargeant uses the helmet with googles and a microphone from the vehicle accesories sprue.

EVIL INC
15-04-2009, 23:12
My vets are made using catachans. To me a vet gaurd would look like Rambo.
Already made/painted models, I would suggest doing head swaps. Doesnt matter which so long as the new head type is consistant. This could be forgeworld respiraters or catachan.
As has also already been suggested, use extra painting. Kill marking, badges heck, you could even add purity seals garnered from marine players.
Vox packs. Cut off the antennas and such and paint them up as "supply" packs with small additions as extra grenades, blankets, water bottles or whatever each one would carry on extended trips into the field.