PDA

View Full Version : Ballistas and Chart Modifiers

Nu Fenix
15-04-2009, 18:43
Now, I have read how people are fond of the Ballistas/Bolt Thrower/Siege Bow, due to their strength and range or quantity of hits.

One thing that people comment is they are good at damaging monsters such as Trolls, etc. But, I see a problem with the fact they miss on a 1-3.

The reason is, whilst it says they use their own table instead of the one on page 61, that implaies to me that the modifiers explained in the Artillery section still apply, as they are not included in the chart but the text below.

So, if any of the bow based artillery tried to shoot a Troll or similar monster, they would suffer -1 to the chart for it being a single Formation, and thus miss on a 1-3.

Now I feel I am reading it right, and thus the bows would get a bonus for shooting at more than 5 or 8 Company string Formations, making it even easier to get the 6+ result. But since a 1 on the bow chart isn't Friendly Fire, but it states in the text chapter that a 1 will always produce a Friendly Fire result, would a 1 simply always miss with a bow, as that is its closest approximation?

Does this mean they are not as cracked up at monster hunting as people make out?

Sarah S
15-04-2009, 19:11
Yes the modifiers apply.

You are reading it right.

They aren't that great, but can be useful.

An epic hero with plenty of might joining a big unit of artillery can make a big difference though...

Edonil
15-04-2009, 19:21
I will have to keep that in mind, I was planning on taking three of them to deal with any Balrogs that show up...might not be a good idea now.

Nu Fenix
15-04-2009, 19:34
Because of the discussion about slaying monsters and people suggesting Artillery, I figured it would be best to bring it up now, before people buy a bunch of stuff for a purpose and regret it.

Granted, those bows will be useful against other things, but hitting the Balrog on a 4+ [before Might] could be off putting.

Good to know that I had read it correctly, and can ensure no-one tries to hit my Khandish Chariots on a 3+!

Edonil
15-04-2009, 19:51
eh. A 4+ isn't that bad, to be honest, what with 3d6 shots for a full company. I think that's what it is, right?

Nu Fenix
15-04-2009, 20:13
No, it is 3 rolls on the chart, and if you get a 1-3 then nothing happens.

So you could end up with as low as 0 hits and as high as 3D6 hits, but can only get a Lucky Strike against a single Formation, such as a Balrog, by having a Hero join them and spend a Might point.

Marauder
15-04-2009, 21:00
I've got one siege bow and I'm getting two more. The -1 mod does hurt against the big beasts - but desperate times call for desperate measures! If you've got nothing else that can hurt it, let them rip!

BTW, its kind of a shame they still get the -1 vs the Mumak. I mean, how big is this thing?

Jorgen_CAB
15-04-2009, 21:35
Yes it gets a -1 on the chart, but when you see 180p worth of ballista obliterate a Dragon then you will change your mind. If there is a Dragon on the field I would place an Epic Hero there and burn all his Might to destroy it, will be worth it every day in the week.

The good thing with artillery is that they are good against so many things. Attack troops in buildings, big units or small units, everything will hurt against these things.

Marauder
16-04-2009, 15:56
Yes it gets a -1 on the chart, but when you see 180p worth of ballista obliterate a Dragon then you will change your mind. If there is a Dragon on the field I would place an Epic Hero there and burn all his Might to destroy it, will be worth it every day in the week.

The good thing with artillery is that they are good against so many things. Attack troops in buildings, big units or small units, everything will hurt against these things.

Hmm, I guess its time to pick up Gothmog for my army then! ;)

stiggie
23-04-2009, 11:52
let me clarify something then :$.. so if say your using an isengard ballista which has its own chart that says 1-2 is a miss.. if you roll a 1 it still counts as a friendly fire or just a miss?

Emissary
23-04-2009, 11:55
Ballistas use their own table, but still get the modifiers from the artillary rules in general.

For the isengard ballista in your question, if you roll a 1, it would just be a miss since the ballista isn't using the normal artillary table.