PDA

View Full Version : [Wotr] 500 pts. of Elves

Faeslayer
15-04-2009, 22:09
I've got 4 companies of High Elves, 4 companies of High Elf Archers, a captain, a banner, Cirdan, Elrond and Gil-Galad to work with. This is for a 500-point tourney. Here's what I've come up with:

List 1:
1x3 High Elves
1x2 High Elf Archers
Elrond

List 2:
1x4 High Elf Archers with banner
Elrond

List 3 (for great comedy):
1x3 High Elves with banner
Gil-Galad!

List 4:
1x3 High Elves
2x2 High Elf Archers
Cirdan

Whatchathink?

Faeslayer
16-04-2009, 16:22
I'm thinking archers might not have enough weight at this points level, so I think I'm going with the Gil-Galad insanity. If it fails, it will at least be a brief failure.

Any thoughts?

Steam_Giant
16-04-2009, 17:53
What about swapping old Gil for Glorfindel and a company of galadhrim knights ?

Emissary
16-04-2009, 18:27
If you can't pick up one of the cheaper heroes like the twins, arwen or haldir, I think I'd go with list 4. You just need to have stuff out there. 1-2 companies will get overrun pretty quickly. The worst part would be if you got flanked and didn't get many attacks back. For example, this is my current 500point list:

Gothmog
4 mordor orcs with great weapons
3 mordor orcs with shields
2 mordor orcs with bows
mordor troll
3 warg riders with captain

If you just had 1-2 units it would be too easy to get steamrolled on the flanks.

Faeslayer
16-04-2009, 18:37
What about swapping old Gil for Glorfindel and a company of galadhrim knights ?

Alas, no Galadhrim knights 'til June (this tournament is at the local GW Bunker, so they probably care about proxies).

I do have a Glorfindel, but it's the on-foot model from the White Council boxed set. Do you think he'd work as the 40mm-based monstrous character?

I'd LOVE to have a Glorfindel out there. :D

If you can't pick up one of the cheaper heroes like the twins, arwen or haldir, I think I'd go with list 4. You just need to have stuff out there. 1-2 companies will get overrun pretty quickly. The worst part would be if you got flanked and didn't get many attacks back. For example, this is my current 500point list:

Gothmog
4 mordor orcs with great weapons
3 mordor orcs with shields
2 mordor orcs with bows
mordor troll
3 warg riders with captain

If you just had 1-2 units it would be too easy to get steamrolled on the flanks.

Yeesh... I'm gonna be hideously outnumbered no matter what, I think.

I just don't see a small handful of archers with strength 2 bows doing that much damage, on paper. Am I wrong?

Nu Fenix
16-04-2009, 18:49
What models do you own? As that would help us with suggestions for what to use.

Also, when is the tourny, and how much practice can you try and squeeze in before?

Faeslayer
16-04-2009, 18:58
What models do you own? As that would help us with suggestions for what to use.

Also, when is the tourny, and how much practice can you try and squeeze in before?

Tourny is Saturday morning; no time to practice. I must endeavor to know the rules inside and out first.

The total models I've got are:

Units:
4 companies High Elves
4 companies High Elf Archers

1 High Elf Banner bearer
1 High Elf Captain

Heroes:
Gil-Galad, King of Bad Hair
Elrond
Cirdan
Galadriel (the war form one)
Glorfindel (the armored foot model)
Wossname, King of Mirkwood
Saruman the White

(there's more troops on the way, but they won't be here by then and I'm champing at the bit to play in this thing)

Nu Fenix
16-04-2009, 19:29
I think List 4 would be best, as you can get some supporting fire onto the table and have the flexibility of shooting at two different targets. Plus, because you're High Elves you have the benefit of a high Defence and Fight, which combined with Terror means you could move at half movement down the table, and have it where units are being shot at a unit that can handle itself well in combat.

With Cirdan it allows you to offset the weakness of only having one Formation, and the risk of being flanked will exist regardless of how you pick your army, due to the high price you pay for being an Elf. Your high Fight should help counter-balance the reduced dice for being attacked in the rear/flank.

Blessing of the Valar from Cirdan can help balance out your losses, although depending on the situation the other Command spells may be more useful.

Its a shame that it only leaves you 20 points and not 25, or you could afford a Fortune, such as Counterspell since your Might is only 1. The only way you could squeeze it in is have 4 High Elf Regiment and 3 High Elf Archer each as one Formation each. So you would only have two Formations on the table, but they will be tough nuts to crack.

Faeslayer
16-04-2009, 19:55
That's probably the most sensible list, I agree. And I'd probably learn more than I would if I used one of the tiny hero-heavy lists.

Thanks for the advice! I'll meditate upon it, probably right up until the last minute.

I'm still curious, though; think Glorfindel (old foot model) would be generally accepted as Glorfindel (legendary monster-thing) if it's stuck on a 40mm?

Nu Fenix
16-04-2009, 19:57
Well its down to how anal your opponents are, and local GW staff.

They could point out how he is meant to be riding Asfaloth, and even mentions it in his rules.

You could then point out what does your model do then, and is still Glorfindel.

Faeslayer
17-04-2009, 00:12
If I did play Glorfindel at 500, would that be unsporting, do you think?

I'm of mixed opinion- he's a beast, but that army would be so tiny, I can't really say it would be very competitive.

Faeslayer
17-04-2009, 16:53
I've decided to go with List 1 (elrond, 3-strong High Elves, 2-strong High Elf Archers). I think the thing I'll need to get the hang of most is epic/heroic actions and using magic, and it will give me experience using both a bit more than the 1-might 1-magic Cirdan would.

I'll let you all know how it does. Thanks for the help. :)

Faeslayer
19-04-2009, 04:18
OUCH.

I lost all three games-

The first game, I moved Elrond over to a doomed unit, and he was most un-epically killed due to placing him in a depleted company (which disappeared due to casualties from a troll's thrown weapon. So sad.)

The second game, Mr. Elrond and friends were AMAZING, but just not amazing enough. Mayhem deployment had my tiny force spread thin, and I was running after some distant objectives to boot.

The third game, Elrond's unit got eaten, for the most part, by the Goblin King's epic strike and a poor roll on a duel. The archers did very well, up on their hill, but my army was constantly forced back from a goblin and cave troll onslaught. Elf-terror prolonged the inevitable admirably, but we fell in the end.

I learned:

1) A couple extra companies would not have saved me in either case, and Cirdan wouldn't have done much at all, with all the might, monsters and magic being tossed around... still not sure I regret Elrond.

2) I regret taking Glaives at all instead of all archers; I think I'll be buying a lot more archers. The extra point of Fight that glaives bring is hardly worth being able to kill from afar for a mere five more points.

3) Magic is very good. Elrond was a veritable swiss army knife of magic. We cause terror, so the spell that reduces enemies' command worked well a few times. The company-replenishing spell (light of the valar?) helped a lot, and Nature's Wrath (the magic missile!) killed lots and lots.

4) You may think you have enough Might, but you do not. There is no such thing.

5) Elves are all that. I may have lost, but I could tell I was just mishandling some phenomenal troops.

Steam_Giant
19-04-2009, 07:25
OUCH... I lost all three games...

.. 4) You may think you have enough Might, but you do not. There is no such thing.

Unlucky on your loses but as you say you learned alot, number 4 is the rule i learned this weekend too, blitzing all my might by turn 2, lucky my opponant did the same :)