PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for beginners?

heffo
15-04-2009, 23:08
After owning the rulebook for over 10 years I finally got to play my first warmaster game last night. It was more a case of getting used to a new rule system and apart from my cunning deployment there wasnt a whole lot of tactics involved. So what tactics work in this game? Having seen very little of it and predominantly a warhammer player I m trying to get a feel for the game.

How many units do people take on average per hero?

Should you brigade the majority of your units in the start? Last night for example I started with 3 full brigades in 1000 pt game but with a failed order in my first 2 turns a 1/3 of my army didn't move.

Are wizards worth the points? With there low command value and range he didnt do much and seemed more a novelty than the hero?

Do people use mixed brigades or do they find they work better with troops of a similar kind. Maybe missile troops and warmachines together?

Do people play with a second battle line behind the first to plug gaps in their lines? or is it just a waste of manpower.

Just some random thoughts from last night. Any ideas would be appreciated.

azraelezekiel
15-04-2009, 23:18
Depends on army and hero's command value. High Elves I take 2 wizards for 2k whilst skaven I max out wizards and add in a couple of heroes for 2k

Should you brigade the majority of your units in the start?
I always do it aids mobility in the early stages

Are wizards worth the points? With there low command value and range he didnt do much and seemed more a novelty than the hero?
Try telling that to my regular opponent when I crush him with a barrage of spells. Certain armies wizards are deadly others aren't worth the points!

Do people use mixed brigades or do they find they work better with troops of a similar kind. Maybe missile troops and warmachines together?
I always protect my artillery with missile troops.
But mixing cavalry with slower troops I always find a waste!

Do people play with a second battle line behind the first to plug gaps in their lines? or is it just a waste of manpower.
Waste of manpower ;) But then I do just get stuck in much to my detriment most of the time!

Pugwash
16-04-2009, 05:24
Azraelezekiel already covered the main points, and is a much more experienced warmaster general than I, but here is my 0.2c worth.

Like azraelezekiel said, it depends on the army - but I think you should think in terms of brigades. 1 hero per 2 brigades works for the average LD armies (humans/chaos etc) with your general obviously looking after the 1-3 brigades that you care most about ordering. That assumes a patient approach, keeping your brigades together, rather than trying multiple subsequent orders to get to grips with the enemy rapidly.

Should you brigade the majority of your units in the start?

Yep, and keep em together for as long as possible in my book.

Depends on the list, not all wizards have a lower command value than heroes ;). I don't tend to count on 'em, but they can pay big dividends. The ability to shatter an opponents line to mess up charges in a critical turn can be huge.

Like azraelezekiel said largely. I find that it makes monsters much harder to use, as infantry rarely win the day for me, so I want my monsters with my cavalry or chariots, but as I really need the speed they end up with the infantry.

Do people play with a second battle line behind the first to plug gaps in their lines? or is it just a waste of manpower

Depends on how skilled your opponent is. I have found that with chaos, I need to have a bait unit/bridage with some bite (usually infantry), and a hammer brigade at least 10-20cm behind (so it doesn't get advantage charged). That way if I loose the brigade, I counter charge and hopefully advantage charge on into something else. If he ignores my bait unit, then I'll happily throw them into a fight.

In the case of Empire, (which I think you might have said you were playing) flagellents, possibly with some halberds and x-bows look like they'd do this job well. That said, you may have enough shooting that you don't actually need to force close combat to win. If you can drive his units back, confuse 'em, and break up brigades and make it much harder for him to give orders, I suspect you can just send your knights in then to take him down piecemeal (been on the receiving end of that)

Other tips: Take the orb of command. It's a must have in my armies. Also consider a hero on flying monster (Hero + griffon + the sword of +1 attacks) to get the critical boost on must-win combats and either inflict or negate terror where it counts.

heffo
23-04-2009, 23:22
Thanks for all the tips. Of course this sound tactical advice failed me completely in my second game and I got a bad beating. Charging Cavakry really can ship a lot of hurt out.

Rufus_Shinra
24-04-2009, 09:49
The only thing I'm really happy with is that there ARE new players to Warmaster))))))
Warmaster - get alive! Sprinkle your magnificence over the fields of postmodernic stupid games!...

mmm....

If you play Empire, use cannons....brigade them with a hellblaster and handgunners, that's a force.