PDA

View Full Version : Fluff races games workshop should produce

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
16-04-2009, 13:00
Are there any races mentioned in fluff that you would like to see models get produced for, and what sort of playing style, strengths and weaknesses would they have? Without looking on lexicanum, I can come up with:

Nicassar, demiurg, cythor fiends, old ones (ooh controversy!), and hrud.

I would really like to see a cythor fiend army, as all wargames should contain at least one ravenous bart army. Making them a large enough army to be able to be produced is easy enough fluff-wise (orks that are currently in the ghoul stars attack the death spectre space marine chapter, distracting them from their work, cythor fiends mass breed, and escape). The average warrior should be the same amount of points as an ork boy, but they should be less tough, higher initiative. As they are bats, and consequently have wings, they should either have the fleet rule, or they count as having jump-packs(of course this should make them more expensive than Ork boys).

Poseidal
16-04-2009, 13:21
Old Ones used to have models back when they were Space Slann.

Demiurg or Hrud would be cool though.

GeneralDisaster
16-04-2009, 13:30
It's that time of the month again...

The return of the zoats would be cool.

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
16-04-2009, 13:32
Zoats? Please explain. Also what would their playing style be?

Grindgodgrind
16-04-2009, 13:36
Ragtime!

I'd like some models/more background for Exodite Eldar.

Max Jet
16-04-2009, 13:46
Space dwarves? Ancient Space Lyzards? Indescribable, grotesque thingies? Are you serious?
The only thing I would not laugh at are Exodites, but not because the "highly advanced race riding on cool monsters" idea is great, but because dinosaurs themselves are fascinating creatures. But that's it, really.
They could do Demiurgs if they would at least turn away from the whole "Dwarves in Spaaaaaace" concept.

just my 2 cents.

a squig
16-04-2009, 13:47
zoats were centuar type things that "worked for" tyranids till GW got bored and told the hive mind to eat them .

GeneralDisaster
16-04-2009, 13:54
Zoats-Back in RT, and a few editions of Fantasy, were centaur-like reptiles that lived with the Tyranids. But, yeah, they got eated.

Beld
16-04-2009, 13:56
Zoats-Back in RT, and a few editions of Fantasy, were centaur-like reptiles that lived with the Tyranids. But, yeah, they got eated.

I want to see the catacian devil back, do you agree James?

EVIL INC
16-04-2009, 14:19
Demiurge would be great so long as they did the Space dwarf thing they had years ago (only updated without the easter eggs). They were very populer and to this day are still loved. They were no worse then "elves in space" or "orcs in space" or any number of other silly things.
Exodite eldar would be great as well as the hrud (yes we DO want "skaven in space")
Old ones would not be bad either so long as they had updated models. They would be nice with an army "style" similer to what the inquisitors have.
We could lose the Ctan
Zoats would be ok as a unit in a different army. Dont seem right as an army to themselves though.
I would like to see the return of the genestealer cult.

Yes, we do seem to have at least one of these threads a month.

Born Again
16-04-2009, 14:25
Most of those already mentioned. On the topic of Old Ones, there should be some clarification between "Old Ones" and "Slann", are they the same thing? Or are Slann one of the most advanced races created by the Old Ones?

Also, I'd like to see the Umbra from Xenology. Ok, kind of hard to do a whole army of little black balls floating around, and the models would be dead boring, but the idea of shadow monsters tearing up anything that tries to hide in cover is just too cool to me :D

cool0001
16-04-2009, 15:00
The Interex the human empire in horus rising

a squig
16-04-2009, 15:04
The Interex the human empire in horus rising

were they the spider type things or the realy realy hi tech people?

x-esiv-4c
16-04-2009, 15:04
Squats, Hrud and the Thraxian Elite.

Lord Damocles
16-04-2009, 15:07
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154089&highlight=q%27orl

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178488&highlight=q%27orl

I'm gonna go for Hrud, Q'orl, and Thyruss again.

Dr. Hellbeast
16-04-2009, 15:08
I've always enjoyed the fluff for the Fwoobadoos of the Slurbadaaag sector.

Kyrios
16-04-2009, 18:01
If the reason for producing them is fluff then:
H'rud - Have no armies, never show themselves in the open, only hide in
ships and sewers
Demiurg and nicassar - Few and (almost) never leave their ships.
Umbra - Live in Deep Space/Warp Drives
Zoats and Squats - Devoured
Old Ones - Only one rumoured to be alive AFAIK

IF Gw should sproduce any fluff races, I wouldn't prefer any of these

Max_Killfactor
16-04-2009, 18:05
Dark Eldar would be pretty cool I think.

They don't have too much background right now, but I think they could be pretty popular if GW decided to produce a full-sized codex. :angel:

Ubermensch Commander
16-04-2009, 18:10
Dwarves in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCE!
Barring that, Exodites or Dark Eldar.
The problem with adding any more armies is that the ones they have are not all getting support! Could mean longer wait times. Frustration ensues.

Max Jet
16-04-2009, 18:15
Dwarves in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCE!

O.k.. you have won the discussion and defeated me... how can I even dream of winning this discussion when there is so much enthusiasm! XD

Here is a beer for you. Out of respect.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj292/toyota3tc/beer.jpg

Prokrustes
16-04-2009, 18:24
Hrud and Jokaero. Would give a fuzzy planet of the apes feel. ;)

SimonL
16-04-2009, 18:25
I'd much prefer something original and unique to 40k, like the Tyranids or Tau. I know 40k is "space-fantasy", but every fantasy race doesn't need a gun-wielding analog.

There is a reason why there are no more;
-Squats
-Chaos Squats
-Imperial Beastmen
-Space Minotaurs
-Space Slann

GeneralDisaster
16-04-2009, 18:56
I'd much prefer something original and unique to 40k, like the Tyranids or Tau. I know 40k is "space-fantasy", but every fantasy race doesn't need a gun-wielding analog.

There is a reason why there are no more;
-Squats-Games Workshop were too lazy to re-work them.
-Chaos Squats-See above.
-Imperial Beastmen-I think these were based on the existing Gor range, but I don't know what happened-I believe that when GW shuffled out the 'Bestiary', they had to go with them.
-Space Minotaurs-:wtf:
-Space Slann-Now this is a travesty. Perhaps, with the Necrontyr, if there is significant enough interest, GW may do them again some time in the next 15 years. Not counting on it, though.

Ubermensch Commander
16-04-2009, 18:56
@Max Jet
haha Its all about the Gusto with which you bellow and how well you drag out the SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCEEE part.

Raibaru
16-04-2009, 19:11
I think I'd rather see them flesh out existing armies then try to add new ones.

We have Necron (which are being redone now) with so very few options. Dark Eldar in the same boat. We have chapter/legion specific armies that people are better off playing as Green Space Marines or Blue Chaos Marines.

They need to make these armies stand on their own and feel unique first imo.

Max Jet
16-04-2009, 19:23
@Max Jet
haha Its all about the Gusto with which you bellow and how well you drag out the SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCEEE part.

I even had to laugh because of the spaaaaaaaaaccceeee Part! XD extremly loud if I might add. That is the sympathy bonus.

Now that aside.. why not make an "Enemies of the Imperium" codex with Traitor Guard, Genestealer Cult and Tau Empire enlisted sympathisers... Gue'sve'la? Are they called something like that?
Even Necron Cults!
How do you like that?

Hell... stupid GW could make tons of money with a codex like that... even sell some Imperial stuff to a hardcore Tyranid Emo like me!

Threeshades
16-04-2009, 19:29
Old Ones - Only one rumoured to be alive AFAIK

GW realized that pluralizing One is self contradictory so they adjusted the Old One's population number. :D

Ubermensch Commander
16-04-2009, 19:30
@ Max Jet
hahah yay sympathy bonus! And I am glad someone else found it amusing also.

Back on topic; While the Enemies of the Imperium codex is interesting there are a few problems with making it:
1) Multiple armies. While not inherently a bad thing, some folks would get annoyed at having to buy a whole codex, when all they wanted was their factions sublist (Tyranid players would have no interest in Traitor Guard for example) That is actually what miffs me about Privateer Press books, although they dont even release whole armies at a time. Granted, the EoImp codex would be a little different, but similar issues arise.
2) If they release it, they have to take the time and money to support it model wise. Even if its just the first wave of stuff. That is more capital invested, and not all that much profit guranteed, since they are not 4 complete armies, but rather sub armys attached to a parent codex.
3) GW's design philosophy is to move away from sublists, which is honestly essentially what is described in this EoImp codex.

while these are not insurmountable, i see these reasons for why GW would not publish such a codex.

Max Jet
16-04-2009, 19:41
Then make ONE basic list and add something like "Up to one Hq and two troops or something like one fast attack or Heavy support or Elite per HQ 2 Troops etc.. or 4 Troops can be added from the specific codex"

Traitor Guard - Chaos / Chaos Marines
Gues've'la - Tau Empire
Genestealer cult - Tyranid Codex... NOOOO no Carnifices!!! Those are for the Nid players! XD
Necron Cult - Well you get it.

Ubermensch Commander
16-04-2009, 19:54
My understanding is that that is the kind of army list they do not want to produce, preferring to have all units in single codex without having to reference another codex.

Genestealer cult can be a list in its own right easily. It would divergent enough from the Tyranit codex. (lets face it, usually if the main tyraid fleet and its assoted Tyranid codex nasties have shown up on planet, the cultists are the appetizers)

The Necron Cults we know so little about it could warrant a list in its own right. But only if they used it as a spring board for a Mechanicus list. =) *half joking on that last part*

Traitor Guard-Free leeway to mix Chaos Marines and Imperial Guard stuff. No thanks! Pass! Veto! RUN AWAY!
But serisouly i'd rather they did something else with the list. Emphasis on the Mutants and traitor guard, with different options than the loyalist Guard, rather than "everything they get and then some."

Gues've'la-Ill admit, i am not sure how this list would work as a seperate entity. Would'nt it just be alot of Tau gear on Guardsmen stat units?

Although I question the EoIMP codex as a full codex in its own right, I think the EoIMP codex concept would make a great series of PDF/White Dwarf supplements...after extensive playtesting. And it would give me a reason to buy White Dwarfs again! Also, by splitting them up, you allows players who do not want to pay full codex price for only one list they plan on using to pick and choose the list they want.

TimLeeson
16-04-2009, 19:55
Umbra - swarms of black spheres with twisted appendages and mouths crawling out to rip their enemies apart. Mmm yes please.

Enslavers - Lovecraft Squids that nearly ate the whole galaxy 60million years ago ? yes please.

Slaugth - Aliens made of Maggots that have lots of "pets" ? yes please.

Q'orl - Cos 40k could do with an army that is entirely flight-borne, traditional insect style.

Cythor Fiends - Night Gaunts ftw!

Chaos Aliens - Yu'Vath, Saruthi ect, Whole alien civilizations turned to Chaos, the REAL the lost and the damned...no hope to escape chaos, these whole races have been changed by the warp powers to be damned forever.

Unfortuantly I doubt GW or FW would do any of those, too cool and interesting. GW are struggling to maintain their current armies, let alone adding new ones..so I would hope FW would do more niche things like this..oneday...well I can live in ignorance.

Fafner_Ni
16-04-2009, 20:01

Agreed, but i wouldn't mind seeing the squat's back.(Imperial Beastmen were an affront to the Emperor)

Threeshades
16-04-2009, 20:09
Then make ONE basic list and add something like "Up to one Hq and two troops or something like one fast attack or Heavy support or Elite per HQ 2 Troops etc.. or 4 Troops can be added from the specific codex"

Traitor Guard - Chaos / Chaos Marines
Gues've'la - Tau Empire
Genestealer cult - Tyranid Codex... NOOOO no Carnifices!!! Those are for the Nid players! XD
Necron Cult - Well you get it.

Well i think "faction" codices would be pretty awesome

Imperium: Guard, Marines, Inquisition
Eldar: Harlequins, Craftworlds, Exodites (im not so sure wether to put Dark eldar here)
Orks: Ork Hordes, Speed Freeks, Mek hordes or i dunno
Chaos: Chaos Marines, Traitor guard, daemons
Tau Empire: Tau, Kroot, Vespid, Demiurg whatever they are mind controlling lately
Tyranids: Hive Fleets, Stealer cults
Outsiders: Dark Eldar, Necrons (the guys who dont form a faction together since theyre pretty much their own purpose)

Hashshashin
16-04-2009, 21:22
I gotta say...Squats sucked....Don't hurt me, I'm just being honest. You could already do a Squats army just make gaurd and count them as squats...Don't hurt me...

But seriously I don't see GW doing any "new" armies anytime soon. FW might do a Skitarii/Mechanicus army but probably not anytime soon.

I like the current selection of races but I would like to see the return of the genestealer cults, and Lost and the Damned, but FW has the vraksian traitor gaurd thing covered so probably not gonna happen for tLaD.

But Genestealer Cults would be sweet, they just need to lose the "limo" thing and get a proper troop transport. ;)

[SD] Bob Plisskin
17-04-2009, 01:08
Codex: Cegorach
Codex: Craftworlds
Codex: Chaos Legions
Codex: Eldar Pirates
Codex: Mutants
Codex: Titanicus :D
Codex: Fishpeople
Codex: Spaghetti Monster
Codex: Malal

edit - also Codex: Rogue Trader