PDA

View Full Version : Battle Companies?

Caprosmaster
16-04-2009, 13:33
hello all

I used to play LOTR before war of the ring and Legions of Middle earth, but moved onto 40k

However, recently i have been compelled by the Battle Companies rules which i have found, it looks pretty good, small skirmishes with heroes and warriors who advance ala campaing(sp) style. I intend to get my mates involved due to the low cost and ease of play.(to provide a break from 40k)

so onto my questions

1. What is the ideal number of men to have in your battle company?

2. How do the rules work in practice? Well or rather poorly?

Thanks

Caprosmaster

McMordain
17-04-2009, 09:54
Ahoy!

Battle Companies is my favorite variant of the Lotr game (although I didn't played Wotr yet, and probably never will).

If you mean the BC rules it's good, I and my mates played a dozen games so far and it's a lot of fun. We didn't have problems with the rules.

As for the numbers of models, the starting companies has fixed numbers. The ideal number depends on the company type. I beat a Minas thirith company with my uruks. I had 5 man, including four Hero, and my opponent had 9 models, including 3 heroes. And he had 3 re-rolls to because of the company rating difference (crossbows are lethal:).

The same uruks got wiped out by a brand new harad company though...

I say more men if you don't have good heroes (2 attack can be a big help, as 2 wound or to fate)

Mc

daemonkin
17-04-2009, 10:15
Could you post a link to the Battle Comapnies rules (if available). I remember they were published in WD but was not interested at the time.

D.

takaetun
17-04-2009, 10:57
I'm sorry, and forgive me for being a little slow on the uptake, but what are Battle Companies? I hadn't touched any LotR stuff before WotR.

jaws900
17-04-2009, 11:30
Some stuff works very well but sometimes it can get out of hand. I was play a battle companie by my self controling both a Gonodr and a Orc army. when i finished the campain (About 15 games in total) the Orc side had 2 heros left with leg and arm wounds and had had less than 2 upgrades to there profile while the gondor side had 7 heros all with massive amounts of upgrades. Some parts are broken but it's still fun and i enjoyed it.

McMordain
17-04-2009, 17:21
Ahoy!

Battle Companies is a small scale Lotr game with rpg elements. You start with a basic team of 6-10 men form which you promote someone to captain (gets 1 might, will and fate) and two sergeants (1 fate). You play games and for every wound you cause get an experience point. After getting enough exp you can get upgrades to your stat or special skills (Heroes), or your regular warriors can become Heroes.
It's like Mordheim in Fantasy Battles.

There was 2 versions of the rules. The first appeared in WD, then they made a redux version which was on the old website. The first rule set can be found here:
Lotr Strategy Battle Game Battle Companies (http://www.scribd.com/doc/6785018/Lotr-Strategy-Battle-Game-Battle-Companies)

The second version can be downloaded form here, but the companies are missing unfortunately:(
Battle Companies Redux (http://www.adeptusarizona.com/blog/?page_id=85)

But on the Last Alliance website there is an excel program that includes all the original companies and some unofficial ones too: HERE (http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=disparticle&catid=3&subid=23&artilceid=2613). The company special rules are not in it... But it's very useful.

Mc

Caprosmaster
18-04-2009, 00:52
hello

McMordian: Thanks for your replies(and everyoone else too) sounds good and i ceratinly am thiking about playing it. However as jaws 900 said does it get broken once in a while? and end up with much stronger companies and weaker ones?

and so far the poll is yesx4 nox0

Caprosmaster

jaws900
18-04-2009, 05:16
There is however a unofficial meathod that i used to help ballence the game. when i found that one side ahs more men and heros etc i will often dobble all ifulence points the other side gain at the end of the battle or i will give them a free roll on the renforcements table. This can help keep things ballenced but you must also know when it's got out of hand. Like i said before with a mordor army with 2 heros against a gondor with 7 ,elite troops and more men there is little you can do to make it even and at that point it is best to call it there.

Note - I have found that although mordor is one of the easist to do it get to difficult for them in latter battles when they can no longer reli on numbers and then armys like elf's, Isengard and dwarfs will beat them into a bloody pulp.

McMordain
18-04-2009, 10:31
Yeah, it can become broken after dozen or more game per company. As jaws900 said one band can become strong if the player lucky with the dice and another can lose his best heroes and troops. Luck plays a big role in this game, mostly because you not buy the troops, but roll them out. And if you roll a 1 you get nothing (which happens often in my case...). Of course there is the Favor of the Court skill, but if you re-roll a 1 to get an another 1 it not helps:cries:

Elf's, Isengard and dwarfs are the most powerful bands. The elf bow is lethal, the uruks are tough and there is the deadly crossbow, and the dwarfs are walking tanks, a D 7 or 8 is a huge boost in this scale. Of course they have weaknesses too.
Beside jwas900 balancing methods, you can also cut their max number. Or when the games go really one sided, you can start a new campaign, with different companies:)

Caprosmaster
18-04-2009, 10:49
k thanks McMordian and Jaws900

ah who is the voter who voted no?

can they please stand up and post why?

jaws900
19-04-2009, 12:03
I voted yes. as this also has led to me making a campain using 3 heros from my battle companies (1 elf, 1 Dwarf and 1 Human)

Caprosmaster
19-04-2009, 12:04
cool thanks Jaws900, cool idea

Caprosmaster