PDA

View Full Version : Studio Ghibli Adapts "Earthsea"

White Tiger
18-12-2005, 05:22
Studio Ghibli (Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Mononoke Hime) has officially announced that it's next project will be Gedo Senki ("Gedo War History"), an adaptation of Ursula K. Le Guin's novel "A Wizard of Earthsea," the first book of the award-winning Earthsea cycle which includes "The Tombs of Atuan," "The Farthest Shore" and "Tehanu" reports Coming Soon.

"Wizard of Earthsea" centers on Ged, who was the greatest sorcerer in all Earthsea. He was once called Sparrowhawk, a reckless youth, hungry for power and knowledge, who tampered with long-held secrets and loosed a terrible shadow upon the world. It's the tale of his testing, how he mastered the mighty words of power, tamed an ancient dragon, and crossed death's threshold to restore the balance.

The film is directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son, Goro, and is scheduled for release July, 2006 in Japan.

ArtificerArmour
18-12-2005, 10:56
I've never heard of it, but no doubt Ghibli will make it into my favourite film of 2006.

blurred
18-12-2005, 10:59
Wow. Very interesting. I liked the books so I'm really looking forward to this.

Yodhrin
18-12-2005, 11:18
I am absolutely positive I saw a movie with a similar name, about a sorceror called Ged, on TV last christmas.

Kohhna
18-12-2005, 13:22
I am absolutely positive I saw a movie with a similar name, about a sorceror called Ged, on TV last christmas.
Yes there was a recent TV Movie adaptation with the bird from smallville, unfortunately it wasn't a patch on the books and actually messed with them a bit, much to the annoyance of the fans.

The prospect of Studio Ghibli doing the stories has sent me into waves of unimaginable excitement and anticipation. The best animation studio in the world adapting what is probably the best work of fantasy outside of LOTR I haven't been this excited since 1999 when I heard that Peter Jackson was doing an adaptation of Lord Of The Rings, and if anything I am more excited now, this is literally he best (film) news I've had for years.

If you don't know studio Ghibli get yourself a copy of Princess Mononoke NOW and prepare to have your mind blown.