PDA

View Full Version : 40k 4th edition rule book

newfiegod
16-04-2009, 20:04
I am just wondering if there is alot of changes between the 4th edition hardcover rule book compared to the new edition? Can you use the 4th edition to play or has there been that many changes? I am fairly new to this so any info would be greatly appreciated. I can get the book for twenty bucks so I think I may get it anyway but if i can use it even better.

Vaktathi
16-04-2009, 20:09
While the game plays mostly the same, the major differences are in the missions, wound allocations, vehicle damage table and defensive weapons rules, LoS, cover, close combat mechanics and consolidation, and some USR's.

It's a noticeable change, but it's not like going from 2nd ed to 3rd ed.

EDIT: forgot, get the 5E rulebook, the changes *are* big enough to warrant getting the new book. It's not like textbooks where they just change the cover picture and a couple answers.

Count de Monet
16-04-2009, 20:15
If you plan to play with other folks who are using 5th edition, it's not worth it - too many changes.

Also note that the mini-rulebook that comes with the Assault on Black Reach box set has all the rules for 5th ed, so if you were thinking about that set anyways, another reason to get it.

sigur
16-04-2009, 20:15
Don't get the 4th edition rulebook, get a current one.

Ubermensch Commander
16-04-2009, 20:16
I recommend buying the latest edition book. If you want the skimmed down version buy a copy of Battle for Black Reach. Its a great deal overall. If you only want the book, no templates or models, simply go in with a buddy or sell the things.

You cannot play 5th edition with 4th if that is what you are asking, and going backwards with Codices (5th edition SM codex or Imp Guard codex) is going to create issues. Again, recommend buying the latest edition.

newfiegod
16-04-2009, 20:23
Than you for the info....I do have a 5th edition rule book from ABR but the hard cover books have alot of useful info for a newbie like me so I was hoping it could be useful.

Vaktathi
16-04-2009, 20:29
Than you for the info....I do have a 5th edition rule book from ABR but the hard cover books have alot of useful info for a newbie like me so I was hoping it could be useful.

the hardcover book basically just adds some basic fluff, color pictures, a walkthrough of a battle or two, and that's about it.

Count de Monet
16-04-2009, 20:31

If you're just getting it for background and pretty pictures, sure that's pretty much the same. :)

Hashshashin
16-04-2009, 20:32
The only reason to get the 4th is for artwork and fluff, the rules have moved on.

nexttothemoon
16-04-2009, 21:09
From another newbies perspective... definitely get the newest rules. If you plan on playing even occasionally with other players that will be using 5th ed rules then it's a must have to be on the same page as them and avoid any conflicts that rules changes will cause.

Even if you only plan on learning the game yourself and not playing with others who use 5th ed for a while... why not learn 5th ed and open the door to tournaments and semi-competitive play down the line if that's what you might get into at a later stage.

As others have said... you basically can get the newest rulebook for free if you buy the AoBR set. Even if you don't want an Ork or SM army you can sell off all the bits of the set and likely come out ahead as the price you'll likely get for the Ork figures, Terminators, Dreadnought and the rest of the box contents should get you basically all your money back(or possibly more) and you'll have the rulebook as a bonus.

Personally I think $20 is too much for an out of date rulebook just for pics and fluff, but everyone has their own opinion on how much that is worth to them personally.

dooombot
17-04-2009, 05:57
the missions in the 4th ed book are still good, might need a minor tweak or two, but there is a lot more variety than the 3 standard missions in the new one. (thankfully, cities of death and soon planetstrike add alot more variety too). plus cool thiings like rules for mine fields/booby traps, but again they recycled these for cities of death....(so maybe I'm wrong and you should just pick cities of death.)

i like the old deployment rules better though