PDA

View Full Version : Goblin and orc shaman difference

bigunns
17-04-2009, 04:11
whats the difference between fielding an orc shammy or a goblin 1? other than obvious point wise...

Brando
17-04-2009, 05:05
Can't you just read the O & G army book...seems pretty obvious what the differences are if you ask me...

The main difference is the lores of magic that they can use. Gobbos have the little waaagh! while orcs use the big waaagh! Both are quite different in the respect that big waaagh! has easy to cast but quite effective low end spells and game winning high end spells (with a high casting cost mind you) while little waaagh! has very good mid-range spells that can consistantly be cast on 3 dice (but the default spell and the mega-super spell are argueably crap).

The other thing is that they have access to a few different magic items. The final thing is that the orcs have much better stats in terms of WS, T, Ld, are immune to gobbo panic and they also carry the almighty choppa. They also have different mount options (ie. boars vs. wolves, boar chariot vs. wolf chariot, etc.)

I honestly find that having a few casters from of both types to be beneficial as both have good spells. I think that orc casters are a bit better as generally big waaagh! is a better list and the stat increases are worth more than the few points you pay. I would never bother taking a lord level gobbo shaman as orc magic is much better for a higher level caster with it's more difficult to cast (and more effective) high end spells.

bigunns
17-04-2009, 14:26
i apologize i wjust go into this and i last remembered some 6th ed rules

Urgat
17-04-2009, 15:43
Gob shamans got crap spells compared to their casting values. Orc shamans tend to die a lot because they have rather good spells, so are used offensively, and then die because of the horrible miscast table. There you go, my absolutly unbiaised opinion :p

Grimgormx
17-04-2009, 20:34
Well, one of the best spells in the game is the WAAAGH spell.

Your troops will move 2d6 completely free,(Including fanatics, snotling pump wagon, squig hoppers, Giants... your troops will strike first (unless fighting against HE that will strike first for their I, you will be able to reroll all your failed rolls in combat.)

the only problem is that you will have to move the crew from your rock lobba, spear chukas, and Gobo lobber, and lose a shooting phase.

Goblis have a more quirurgical aproach.

knightime98
18-04-2009, 08:02
Then of course if you squabble with any of your casters... well, then you can forget about their magic phase! O+G got nerfed with their magic period. I only ever take one Night gobbo shaman (lvl 1) w/ 2 scrolls only.. Magic is so over-rated vs the risk of not having any use of it at all. My opinion on it anyhow. I also take the banner w/ranks for 3 DD. So, you'll get 6 DD altogether and spend pts on units.. I don't like my gobbo's running away from their warmachines. GW comes up with a rule that Warmachines NEVER charge ever.. But, with orcs their is an exception. If you run to far away from your machine, you may never recrew it by the end of the game. Now, I'm ranting as O+G got so screwed!... Read my signature and you'll see where I stand Clegane is my hero.

Milgram
18-04-2009, 16:55
knightime, why don't you give your shaman sneaky stealin'? the only time I found this not to be advantageous compared to 2 scrolls was while playing against khemri - thus you still should get the dispell dice as khemri generates pool dices as normal afaik.

btw: who's your hero? sandor or gregor?