PDA

View Full Version : What is your Greenskin artillery?

WarlockOMork
17-04-2009, 11:34
Im just curious as to what other people use as their artillery and why.

ill start with myself.

i tend to have 2 sets of bolt throwers(Ie 4 total) and a catapult.
leaves me a special slot for some other fun.
Because i feel both are more or less equaly good, and this allows me to be flexible.

i dont use rare slots for a doomdiver, because i prefer to have one of the other choices.

So what are your choices? :)

Edit: (this is assumed to be at 2k - 2250 or such)

Chicago Slim
17-04-2009, 11:42
Bolt throwers, with bullies. Anywhere from 0-4 in a 2000 or 3000 point game.

Actually, it depends on what I'm doing with my army-- sometimes I go with no artillery at all, sometimes I'll bring 2 or 4 bolt throwers, and sometimes I'll bring the full load (4 bolt throwers, 1 rock lobba and 2 doom divers; I'd probably bring more sometimes, if I had it...)

The full load in 2000 points does a nice job of smashing stuff up-- bolt throwers focus on knights, and catapults hit infantry (though the Doom Divers can hurt knights, if there's a lot of them, with S5 AP...) and whatever makes it across the board should be weakened enough for the 3 units of 30 Boyz each to deal with...

Braad
17-04-2009, 14:01
I got 2 chukka's, 2 rock lobbers, 1 doom diver and 1 cannon. I'll use them in whatever configuration I like at that moment. Sometimes none, once I took all... Depends on stuff.

spiderman518
17-04-2009, 14:18
I usually run with 4 bolt throwers. With the BS of goblins (and my own luck), 1 usually hits per turn but people only remember the times where all 4 hit in a single turn.

I also have a couple doom divers and a rock lobber for variety.

snottlebocket
17-04-2009, 14:19
1 rocklobber, 2 boltthrowers (because I also take black orcs and squighoppers) I top it of with a doomdiver. Leaving a slot for a giant, if I want one.

Malorian
17-04-2009, 14:20
I take 4 spear chukkas and a doom diver.

The spear chukkas can deal with large targets (dragons and stanks beware!) and tear apart ranks, and the doom diver is great against knights ans sniping out lone characters.

Urgat
17-04-2009, 14:41
Usually I take none. Regardless of setup or accurate guesses, my luck with them is terrible, my spearchukkas will never wound (they hit, they don't wound, don't ask), and the rocklobbers and doomdiver always veer completly off target >>

Briohmar
17-04-2009, 15:00
I go with 2 Chukkas and a Doom Diver. I like to include Black Orcs, Squig Hoppers, Boar Boys and a Giant. I have a lobba too, but the Doom Diver always does better for me.

bob_the_small
17-04-2009, 15:01
I dont play O&G, but I would love to use 8 goblin bolt throwers

WarlockOMork
17-04-2009, 15:08
im sensing a dislike from the majority towards rock lobbers,
either that or simply a major preferance for Chukka's.

wonder why that is.

i mean you cant really screen vs rock lobbers. nice bonus.
and your bad Bs doesnt matter for them either.
a bit lower Strenght tough.

hm..

Malorian
17-04-2009, 15:09
I dont play O&G, but I would love to use 8 goblin bolt throwers

I've actually thought about going 8 spear chukkas and 2 doom divers just to see if I could make the orc haters say I have a cheesy list ;)

And in my list to get this all I would have to do is drop the two chariots and lone troll and free up 20 points some where else.

Tempting... :evilgrin:

Warlock, the difference is the two for one and the fact that orc specials are very tight.

snottlebocket
17-04-2009, 16:18

wonder why that is.

hm..

Orcs and goblins have more trouble against big tough enemies like greater demons, dragons, steam tanks etc. than infantry blocks. That makes the boltthrower a better and cheaper special choice.

When it comes to guess weapons, the doomdiver does comparable damage to a rocklobber on the average hit. But with the doomdivers scatter adjustment rules you'll be hitting a lot more often than the rocklobber. In fact I rarely miss with the doomdiver while no matter how well I guess with the rock lobber, it's anyones guess where it's going to scatter to.

Braad
17-04-2009, 16:45
Dislike for rock lobbers? Well I think snottlebocket has it spot on for the greater use of spear chukka's against most armies.
Also, I think O&G have so many sweet specials to pick from, that people would sooner take a doomdiver from the rare section to get some kind of catapult, then using up a special slot for the lobber.

As I said, I got two, and I really like them.
Maybe people just still need to discover how nice they are. I think they can be very nice to get your opponent moving, if they are holding back at their edge of the board.

rtunian
17-04-2009, 17:32
atm i only have a pair of chuckas available to me.

braad hit the nail on the head insofar as my own army's expansion is concerned: i like my squigs and blorcs, so when i do expand my artillery, doom diver is comin up first.

selone
17-04-2009, 18:37
I use 4 spear chukka's (no bullies) and a doomdiver in a less than 2 k game in a 2k game I'd try out a rock lobba (with bully)

Gaargod
17-04-2009, 18:48
I once used an absolutely horrible shooty army in 6th ed (4 Lv2 shamans, 1 lv4 shaman, 1 large squig bomb, 6 spear chukkas, 2 doom divers and a load of goblin archers with fanatics) which i very quickly stopped using. Doesn't matter if they're crap BS with that many.

Normally i just take a couple of naked spear chukkas, maybe 4. Its only 70/140pts and every game they will make their points back. I've had them kill a high elf on star dragon in a couple of turns :D

Cortomaltese
17-04-2009, 22:32
4 spear chukkas and a single doom diver in my gobbo list.. really cheap for what they can do..

the second problem with rock lobba is that it can blow up as a result of a bad roll.. with animosity, supidity, compulsory squig moves, random attacks from Giants and pump wagons, the only thing u want is something that can give u problems by himself, without worring the opponent ;)

that's why chukkas are a bit friendlyer to greenskin armyes: that's 140 point (less then a single heavy cavalry unit) that rolls 4 dice and usualy repay themself in the first 2 turns, at the same time offering 4 different targets for enemy hunters, and each one for really low points..
often people will simply ignore them for their worthless in points, leaving you 4-5 turns of shooting, not mentioning the psycologic effect on large targets, or fying monster that opponent wouldn't move too near your artillery..

Orge_ladd
17-04-2009, 23:29
4 bolt throwers
2 rock lobbers
2 doom divers

we shall rain death on them! and show those dwarves that we can also shoot like them..

quick get dungball in the catapult.. and remember his 'at!

wingedserpant
18-04-2009, 11:29
I have 4 spear chukkas, two rock lobbas and a doom diver.

Never used them all at once though I feel I should.

kormas
18-04-2009, 12:31
i am currently using 5 spear chukkas, havnt had a batle with them yet but i am hoping for some hits:evilgrin:

selone
18-04-2009, 13:43
Do you only own 5 Spearchukka's :)?

Pengie
19-04-2009, 23:41
I have 2 spear chukkas and a rock lobba all with orc bullies (mostly for fluff but they do come in handy sometimes and for 5pts...). I used to have a doom diver but have lost it so not used it in the new addition, though I imagine D3 extra movement can increase accuracy. I would take more spear chukkas but other orc special slots are too good

Lugburz
20-04-2009, 00:56
I always use two spear chukkas, but I've never killed anything with them! One time I actually hit! My opponent and the people watching almost wanted to take picture of the dice proving that I actually hit with my chukkas. And it was in the flank of a regiment of DE Cold One riders... of course I rolled a 1 to wound, so I still haven't killed anything with them.

But one time I'll show them the power of goblin engineering!!! I'll get them next tiiiiime!

*ahem* Yes...

Pengie
20-04-2009, 12:07
lol true goblin marksmen then.
my spear chukkas aren't that bad i find they hit maybe twice a battle (but then its sods law that one of those will roll a 1 to wound).
in my last game against dwarfs they didnt hit anything but the rock lobba made up for it by killing lots of hammerers and a lord on shieldbearers

AMWOOD co
21-04-2009, 11:58
6 Spear Chukka, 2 Rock Lobbas, 1 Doom Diver (2 of the old 1 gobbo ones though to add to that... maybe I should count 2 as 1 new one with an extra guy?)

I usually use all the chukkas, 1 lobba, and the doom diver at 3000. Add in over a dozen fanatics and the enemy doesn't like getting close, but they can't help it. Black Orc characters accompanying the Night Goblin units with nets also makes for some interesting times. I've gotten to the point wher moving fanatics is a breeze now.

If I'm using a more Orc based, bring-the-fight-to-the-enemy army, I usually only take 2 Chukkas. Other choices get used up (Black Orcs, chariots, hoppers).

Mid'ean
21-04-2009, 12:21
Generally in a regular list I like to run 2 chukkas and a cannon. I save my other rare spot for either a giant/DDiver or maybe some trolls for fun. If I know it's a monster/dragon heavy envirerment I'll add another 2 chukkers to make their lives short and painful......:skull:

Cragum
21-04-2009, 22:05
i have one rock lobber and that is it ( for the moment lol ]

i find that when you take too many warmachines with greenskins you start to rely on them and tbh they are not really the most reliable things to use in warhammer having a great chance of misfiring.

i find a nice tactic is having a goblin army with night gobbos throwing out enough fanatics to keep the enemy from thinking twice from moving leaving them rather quite easily pinned in same position so you have enough time to guess a good range. it works perfect for me.

ive found my rock lobber kill so many good points cost models such as bret knights and even an unlucky enough warrior of sigmar preist.

i am actually quite intriged though into what a spear chukka does for people.

selone
21-04-2009, 23:54
A spear chukka gives you the reliability there rest of the army sorely needs :)

Cragum
22-04-2009, 09:44
right im buying one today then.... well i say buy im gonna make one today hahah so not worth its 9 quids worth for that small a model set.

i ahve to ask something though about cavarly and a rock lobber...

if say i hit dead on the center of a horse and rider and in the unit i obviously hit either side with the rock lobber template, but what about the fellas in the front and back?

cause me and my mate always have this dispute.

pililuk
22-04-2009, 10:00
well with a RL you declare the direction and the length of the guess, so directly at the banner bearer's banner in the knights at 25 inches for example
If that then hits direct on that banner you put the template over and see what it would hit which i most cases in cavalry it would only hit the 1 model itself and the 2 next to it occasionaly if theres a second rank you might hit one of those

Gork or Possibly Mork
22-04-2009, 10:00
I like 4 chukkas and a doomdiver. Sometimes I take 2 doomdivers.

Cragum
22-04-2009, 11:35
well with a RL you declare the direction and the length of the guess, so directly at the banner bearer's banner in the knights at 25 inches for example
If that then hits direct on that banner you put the template over and see what it would hit which i most cases in cavalry it would only hit the 1 model itself and the 2 next to it occasionaly if theres a second rank you might hit one of those

cheers man ive needed that clearing up for an age and a half!

where would the line of sight come from though? directly in middle of the lobber or all the front because my mates say i cant see over any models at all not even if a goblin shaman is just to side of it infront.

Gork or Possibly Mork
22-04-2009, 12:16
cheers man ive needed that clearing up for an age and a half!

where would the line of sight come from though? directly in middle of the lobber or all the front because my mates say i cant see over any models at all not even if a goblin shaman is just to side of it infront.

AFAIK the BRB says "the target has to be visible from the machine itself" So anywhere on the arc of sight of the machine should be fine. I don't see how one little shamen would block LOS.

Dungeon_Lawyer
22-04-2009, 20:59

wonder why that is.

hm..

Well here is a vote for two lobbas! Put them next to one another, guess the range for the one, measure, resolve damage(if any) and then move on to the next one whose guess will be spot on! Im guessing the main reason why people prefer the chukkas is because you can get a 2 for 1 deal slot-wise. There are just so many good special choices for O&G players to choose from that taking two lobbas means you are missing out on something else that is tasty killy good.
take for instance rare slots:I mean I would love to take pump wagons, but am I really going to take pump wagons over a giant or a doom diver? I wish p. wagons were core.

right im buying one today then.... well i say buy im gonna make one today hahah so not worth its 9 quids worth for that small a model set.

Right on! I love homemade stuff, especially orky home made stuff---Im gonna make my chukkas out of clay, it will probabaly take me a shorter amount fo time to make them this way then if I paid (rotfl) assembled and painted officical GW chukkas. And I will luv them so much more, since I created them!

Jabroni the Wise
22-04-2009, 22:32
I use 2 Spear Chukkas, 2 Rock Lobbers, and 1 Doom Diver. Although, I might take on 1 more Spear Chukka and lose a Rock Lobber or Doom Diver, if only because they both serve the same purpose, except one costs 10 points more with a possible 3 inch movement for your shot.