PDA

View Full Version : My first 40k 4th ed. game and some musings about the GW staff.

Nurglitch_PS
18-12-2005, 14:00
I finally have painted enough of it to try it out on the tabletop. Now that was one weird experience:

I've gathered up all my toys from the Combat Patrol list and headed to the GW shop in Lakeside (UK). That was a blind call as I didn't know if there would be anyone available for a game - and there wasn't. A staff member offered to give me an introductory 15min skirmish with the standard Space Marines vs Tyranids set up. He allowed me to use my toys instead of the SMurfs - the armoured fist squad. In the middle of the game the shop manager came to watch and realised that I do know the 4th ed. rules. And that was weird - I've learned that the staff member shouldn't be playing me at all because sunday is for the little kids' introductory games. This baffles me a bit - why do the working people get thursdays (when they work), whereas the kids, who have only the free time get sundays (when the working guys do not work)?

Anyway I've seen a lot of bile poured on these forums onto the GW redshirts (or whatever shirts they have at the moment) and I cannot see a reason for that. The staff members are very helpful, very polite, speak proper English (no "y'rite'der'duck?") - it's really a great level of customer service there.

Oh.. and I won, which is nice even though it was not a proper game :]

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-12-2005, 14:38
The Thursday/Sunday thing is there for a fair reason.

Yes, on the surface, swapping them might make more sense, but think about it.

Veterans generally have other, more important things to do with their weekend, like family stuff, DIY, laundry etc.. And as for families, the chance fo get shot of little Bob for a couple of hours is genius, especially for free. Thursday nights however, Veterans are more inclined to a relaxing game, followed by relaxing post game pint.

And people will whinge because thats all the power they have in their lives. They don't like it, and refuse to see any fault with their own opinions.

Nurglitch_PS
18-12-2005, 16:00
Thursday nights however, Veterans are more inclined to a relaxing game, followed by relaxing post game pint.

I sort of see the point about weekends - I've had this one to spare only because my second half is away :) But wouldn't fridays be more like it for veterans? Ah, whatever, it's not like I can actually change anything :]

Chaos and Evil
18-12-2005, 16:31
But wouldn't fridays be more like it for veterans?

Only if they start serving beer.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-12-2005, 18:13
Indeed...Friday night is generally Pub night for my amigos and I....

Grimaldus
18-12-2005, 18:39
I agree.....well, from my limited experience with GW stores, I can agree:) I've been to GW Halifax on several occasions, and have been quite impressed by the way the redshirts are. Yes, they're VERY enthusiastic about nearly everything dealing with GW products, but not to the point of being entirely obnoxious. To me, they just seem to really love the hobby...and well, why shouldn't they? The redshirts, and one blackshirt, I've met and talked to seem like they're all pretty level-headed, pseudo-normal, and decent guys. Granted, I have yet to play a game there due to the fact that I'm just starting the hobby and would NEVER want to take an unpainted army there to play, so I'm unsure of how that dynaic works out. However, the guys have all told me to come in and play some games when I'm ready, and seemed to honestly look forward to seeing my army once it's painted up. No pushy sales tactics, no totally annoying generic comic book store ignorami...just guys that love the hobby and obviously like doing what they do.
That said, I'm sure there are some blaring exceptions to this kind of customer and personal service out there in the world...but if you're ever in the Halifax area, definately stop into the GW there, and I think you'll be impressed.

Chaos and Evil
18-12-2005, 18:51
Incidentally, I dropped into the Lakeside GW one time, that has to be the smallest GW store in existance surely?

Maybe that was why the manager was concerned about you using the table, iirc they only have two :)

Helicon_One
18-12-2005, 18:52
There's good staffers and not so good staffers. Most of the ones I've come into contact with are decent enough.

I've noticed alot of the horror stories about staff members seem to come from American gamers, maybe there's something about the way GWUS were training (or not training) their people.

Tim

Grimaldus
18-12-2005, 18:56
That might be so. The staffers in Halifax seemed less like salesmen and more like enthusiasts to me. And I guess the way the staff acts will have a lot to do with the manager and the way s/he wants to run things.
Why do I feel like I'm hijacking this thread?:) Are we talking about the gaming table situation, or just GW stores in general?

Nurglitch_PS
18-12-2005, 19:04
Incidentally, I dropped into the Lakeside GW one time, that has to be the smallest GW store in existance surely?

Not one of the huge ones to be sure :) Still - this is the only gaming lair near my home (Grays, Essex) I know of.

Maybe that was why the manager was concerned about you using the table, iirc they only have two :)

Yes, two. He wasn't really all that concerned - the shop was empty but for me. Rather explaining the rules of the shop.

Eduard
18-12-2005, 19:25
Indeed...Friday night is generally Pub night for my amigos and I....

Luckly for me, my local GW is only 30 feet away from a Pub. And in the pub there's a gaming club on sunday evening aswell!. Gaming and drinking beer (or whatever I like at the time):p :p

Yorkiebar
18-12-2005, 19:33
The staff members are very helpful, very polite, speak proper English (no "y'rite'der'duck?") - it's really a great level of customer service there. But that is proper English...

I agree with you though, the staff are great. Why, just yesterday I had a friendly chat with a new guy at Warhammer World. It was almost as if I'd talked to him before somewhere... :p

Grimaldus
18-12-2005, 20:09
Yeah, it seems to me that one of the biggest prerequisites for be hired to work in a GW store is a total hard-on for the hobby as a whole. Sales skills and all that other stuff definately seem to be secondary, if not lower on the totem pole. Going to a GW, for me, was a totally refreshing and positive experience, especially when compared to memories of walking into a small, dark, odd-smelling comic book/hobby shop, with a single rude, condescending, and fairly oblivious rat-like guy working behind the counter, either ignoring you as he chats with an equally wretched, morbidly obese bearded creature about something you try and make out over the fat one's struggled, wheezing, and gratingly heavy breathing, which sounds disturbingly like a geriatric Darth Vader...on a treadmill. You attempt to rummage through the poorly and haphazardously placed merchandise, looking for the object you even dared to step foot inside this place for, but give up. With a deep breath of musty, recycled air, you go and ask the proprietor to point you in the right direction, or ask if he even has what you're looking for. You get a unintelligent, snide remark, along with a face full of breath that smells something akin to cheese, but obviously not cheese...a fact which makes the nasty breeze blowing in your face all the more offensive. You stumble out of the shop gasping for air, the pure, natural sunlight making the hell you just came out of seem like a different dimension, as something that foul and disturbing couldn't possibly exist in this world. But the oddly high-pitched and rodent-like laughter, accompanied by a deathly wheezing, coming from inside the non-descript building you just escaped, tells you otherwise.
Thank whatever higher power deserves the credit for GW Halifax!

Corn Berserker
18-12-2005, 20:34
My GW (Aberdeen) has a fairly friendly and helpful team apart from one sarcy Chaos playing lanky pr*ck who will have something to say (harsh [usually])about everything anyone buys. He knows his stuff though.

Brimstone
18-12-2005, 20:49
If this thread turns into slagging off specific members of GW staff then it will be closed.

heretic
18-12-2005, 21:25
my feeling is the opposite, I stopped going to GW stores a few years ago due to the cold, sarcastic nature of the employees. I started going to Game Parlor (http://www.gameparlor.com), which is basically a magic/LAN/miniture store. It has a very good WH miniture range, and all the codices/books you'd need. Granted, the employees don't treat you like a best friend, but they are helpful and leave you be when you want to. In addition, each store has several (on average of 4) 4x8 tables with pre-made scenery you can use anytime with the exception of league slots, and won't bug you about how long you're there.

we held an 80,000 point game there once and it was a very good expierence although lengthy, we only got to turn 3 and it was getting late)

DaHedd
18-12-2005, 21:35
As a one time regular at the Aberdeen GW i can do nothing but praise them. All good lads and the games room upstairs is awesome. Not had a chance to play a game there since the move, but looks superb, has about 8 tables for all the games.

Cadian 21st
18-12-2005, 21:45
I'm quite annoyed at a few things. One is that GW staff seem to try and convince ALL players, new, old, whatever, into playing Space Marines. I saw some kids going in wanting to be Necrons and Imperial Guard, and the staff members guiled them into buying some Marine items. Another time, another store, my brother went in for some Eldar models, and they were intent on trying to convert him to a Smurf. They also were quite confused by his gold paint scheme, and while we played, one specific GW member stood by watching, muttering under his breath "GoLd?!?!", every 30seconds.

Grimaldus
18-12-2005, 22:57
Nurglitch: I've been to Odyssey 2000 on several occasions and I've been pretty impressed by the way it's run compared to most other smaller shops. It was well laid out and the ladies and gents working there were quite nice and helpful. Just out of curiousity, I'm not living in Halifax anymore(now in Windsor, about 45 minutes to and hour away) and haven't had a chance to stop into Odyssey anytime on one of my infrequent trips into the city, and I was wondering how it was doing? I can imagine that when GW Halifax opened up, Odyssey might have lost most of, if not all of it's GW related business. I even remember hearing that the owner got into a bit of a disagreement with GW over something, and stopped selling GW products? Anyway, just curious about the old place, seeing how it was the best of a mere handful of stores that sold GW products before GW itself moved in.

Now, as for which little comic book/hobby store inspired such loathing in me? I believe it's called Mirror Universe, and it's in Dartmouth. Now, I'm not sure if I strolled in a bad day or what, but it was aweful. Entirely typical Simpsons comic book guy-esque place with all the fixins'. Ever been?

FrostySalamanader
19-12-2005, 00:05
I've yet to play a 40K game at a GW store, but everytime I've been into mine for Tau related bits, I've had a long discussion with one GW guy about Tau stragies and such, so it's not all them trying to convert you to SM ;)

cerealkiller195
19-12-2005, 03:06
usually when i walk into a GW store i walk in and get what i need, if a new employee tries to approach me (i only go to two different GW's so most of the staff already know me) i just state, i've been playing for almost 8 years if i dont know what i'm doing i'd have to kill myself...

RdDragon5
19-12-2005, 03:29
Well I'd have to say GW staff have to be one of the most varried concocsion of human beings I've had the pleasure of knowing. There are the not so great staffers who make you sratch your head in wonder, but there are also some truely great people working for GW, and of course all manner of things in between. All in all its a ranbow marine variety out there, so just cross your fingers that you end up with the pop of gold at the end.

He Who Laughs
19-12-2005, 11:36
There's good staffers and not so good staffers. Most of the ones I've come into contact with are decent enough.

I've noticed alot of the horror stories about staff members seem to come from American gamers, maybe there's something about the way GWUS were training (or not training) their people.

Tim

This seems to be the common source of angst. I've heard interestings things through the grape-vine, like in intro games GWUS staffers were trained to run everything as hitting, wounding and saving on a 4+... :wtf:

And were trained to sat "Awesome!" alot (apparently there is a training video of this, doing the rounds)

Also, there was some rumour that the intro painting lessons were extremely brief, due to some absurd (but worrying if true) rumour that the intro-painting models were being partly pre-painted in Asia somewhere and then shipped over.

I also heard that the upper -management cause of this strategy has been given the boot and that things have since changed for the better. Can any Yanks confirm or deny any of these rumours?

Crube
19-12-2005, 11:46

Maybe, although before the York store moved, the one on Goodramgate was tiny.....IIRC, barely 1 table...

Anyone remember Evan moss, the old manager there...?

Grimaldus
19-12-2005, 15:23
Wow...business went up at Odyssey eh? Great for them! Very glad to hear it.