PDA

View Full Version : Safari shutting down constantly...

starlight
18-04-2009, 00:32
MacBook Pro - 2.4Ghz, 4Gb Ram, blah, blah, blah, OS-X 10.4.11

Safari and all programs/OS up to date (as far as the updates tell me).

After running for a few minutes Safari shuts down. No idea why...:(

Firefox has been running fine, so that's what I'm using, but it's missing a few things I like from Safari. No big deal, but it's irritating...

Any suggestions?

RapidKiller
18-04-2009, 07:38
get a PC :D

But really try virus/ spywhare/adware scan or even try reinstalling safari

starlight
18-04-2009, 14:49
Wish I had a PC, so we won't go there. :(

Working through the others, I was just hoping that someone else had some insight aside from *the usual* solutions...

Thanks. :)

Inquisitor Engel
18-04-2009, 23:11
You're still on 10.4?

Honestly that might have something to do with it, the most current build of Safari is designed with 10.5 in mind, but is compatible way back (I have a spare leopard install disc if you really want, you'll be surprised.)

Are you using Safari 3 or the Safari 4 beta?

And as big a Mac fan as I am, I use Firefox anyway, even if it doesn't read embedded colour profiles properly. :p It remembers my passwords and that's enough for me.

starlight
18-04-2009, 23:47
Apparently 10.5 and Adobe don't play nice. Since I wasn't willing to take the time to do all the work to upgrade, I stuck with what works (worked...) because Adobe CS3 is leaps and bounds more important to me than anything Apple makes and now I'm far away from my copy of 10.5, so upgrading now isn't going to happen...

Safari - Version 3.2.1 (4525.27.1) - I seldom use Betas. :)

Eventually I'll just stop using crappy Apple products and go back to PC... :D

Inquisitor Engel
20-04-2009, 03:40
Eventually I'll just stop using crappy Apple products and go back to PC... :D

You will rue the day... ;) Especially if you're using Adobe. Lightroom constantly crashed on my PC, but never had an issue on even my MBA - then again, I use Aperture now anyway which is world's better than Lightroom for what I use it for.

10.5 worked fine with my CS3? Weird.

Anyway, another trick for Safari might be to open Disk Utility and repair permissions.

I take it you've already opened Safari and quickly gone down to "Reset" under the program menu? That fixed things for me a few times.

starlight
20-04-2009, 03:49
Couldn't stand Aperture. It just didn't work for me. :(

I *am* looking forward to getting Lightroom 2 when I get back to civilisation. :)

Everyone I talked with who upgraded to 10.5 had to do a full reinstall of CS3. :(

The only thing I really miss from Safari is the ability to resize text boxes... :(

Inquisitor Engel
20-04-2009, 13:54
Everyone I talked with who upgraded to 10.5 had to do a full reinstall of CS3. :(

Ahh that would explain it, I did a migration when I bought my MBA and iMac (from my old MBP) so it just transferred CS3 with it and routed them onto Leopard the easy way.