PDA

View Full Version : Most effective number of saurus cavalry in a unit?

Vampiric16
18-04-2009, 16:05
How many riders do you take in a unit? I ran a unit of 5 recently against Skaven. They lost 3 getting there, but managed to break and destroy the unit they charged for no losses. This left me with a vulnerable unit, although by the time they had come back (they pursued off the board) the game was pretty much up for the skaven.
Is 5 too few? Whats most effective for you other lizard players?

metal midget
18-04-2009, 18:49
well i am a skaven player myself but i would say probably 5 is the best because at 35 points a model a unit of 10 will take a big chunk of your army

Ultimate Life Form
18-04-2009, 19:38
I think there is a reason why they come in sets of 8.

Godgolden
18-04-2009, 19:44
6 across.

5 normal knight if you have a hero in them

Sandstone
18-04-2009, 20:00
I'd say 5. It's the maximum amount you'll be able to get into base contact with the smaller bases (elves) and it'll be equal with the larger bases (daemons). Also, 6 wide is a bit too unwieldy to maneuver between units and terrain.

sroblin
18-04-2009, 20:48
I think there is a reason why they come in sets of 8.

Force people to pay for more models?

Honestly, I love the Dark Elf Cold One Knight boxes of 5 riders because they roughly the number you'd want for an appropriate price.

Eight is about the least practical number possible for cavalry IMO. It doesn't even give a rank bonus. I think units of 5 are ok, but having 6 in a unit isn't bad so you can get in more attacks and take casualties. You can almost always get more value out of 2 units of 5 rather than one unit of 10 cavalry, this is doubly so for very expensive cavalry like Cold One Riders. Paying 175 points for 1 point of rank bonus that can be shot away with the loss of on model, I think is dubious; the value of the riders really is all in the front rank.

I'd say 5. It's the maximum amount you'll be able to get into base contact with the smaller bases

This is untrue. 5 wide small-infantry are 100mm wide, that equal to 4 cavalry models across plus one cavalry model can attack from each corner. I think the 6th rider is also well worth it because they are likely to take a casualty or 2 from shooting, and they really need as many riders as possible to be making attacks when they charge.

Necromancy Black
18-04-2009, 23:00
5 Riders, no champion, throw a Scar-Vet on Cold One in there with them. Banner and Musician are usually a good idea.

Shamfrit
18-04-2009, 23:06
Don't bother with a banner, a unit of 6 with Musician will account for the loss in Command and provide the offense you need to deal with whatever threats you tend to throw Heavy Cavalry at. I am afraid they arn't as good as they first appear but, if you construct your list around cavalry support (denied flank sweeping is very good here) then they can fulfil a vital role within the confines of the Lizardmen list. Don't compare them to other Heavy Cavalry, or you will be sorely dissapointed.

If you wish to have a character join the unit, then take 6 still, add a Warbanner, and place a Scar Veteran/OldBlood in the unit and one to the second rank and get them into combat as soon as possible!

oCoYoRoAoKo
19-04-2009, 00:58
i bring the unit 6 wide with champ and musician. seems to work for me. they can afford to loose one or two on the way in and still dish out a fair number of attacks.

Gork or Possibly Mork
19-04-2009, 01:38
I usually take 5 with a musician ( so they can flee/rally easily if need be ) I sometimes put a scarvet on cold one in there but most of the time I put him in a saurus block for fear immunity. You can keep them close to the general if you're worried about passing stupidity.

Generally 5-6 is a good number. Anymore and your better off just getting another unit. I tend to avoid giving them a standard ( depends on the rest of my force ) but I find it a bit risky if they don't break something on the charge.

selone
19-04-2009, 14:05
I'd take 6 with a musician and maybe a standard if you have a cunning plan, if you're putting a hero with them reduce the unit by 1 ofc. As said 6 is the most you can get into B2B with smaller base sizes and you should remember your CoR aren't as fantastic as other heavy cavalry on the charge (for their points cost) but at 3S4 attacks each after the attack they can kill light infantry better than most other cavalry (barring the real pricy stuff)after the first round.

Lordsaradain
19-04-2009, 14:18
6 across.

5 normal knight if you have a hero in them

I second that. This is generally the best setup for heavy cavalry (excluding bretonnians).

Rodman49
19-04-2009, 20:56
I'd say 5. It's the maximum amount you'll be able to get into base contact with the smaller bases (elves) and it'll be equal with the larger bases (daemons).

This is incorrect. The maximum number of models that can fight against a 5 wide infantry (20mm) is 6 if your base width is 25mm. You have one on each corner and 4 in the middle.

perplexiti
19-04-2009, 21:38
Force people to pay for more models?

Didn't they come out last edition? When you only needed 4 models to get rank bonus.

Plus you can make 5 normal plus command so you can switch out whatever you don't need, or use the standard as a BSB.

sroblin
19-04-2009, 22:13
Didn't they come out last edition? When you only needed 4 models to get rank bonus.

Good point, you could field them in 2 ranks last edition with 8. Slightly more reasonable option, but still not a very good one even then, IMO. But as it stands, receiving 8 in a box isn't that useful.

You still need to get two boxes if you want 2 units, but then that gets you enough for three whole units of 5, or you end up having to units of 6 and 4 extra models lying around. I think 6 would the best size personally, but I'm ok with boxes of 5. (Probably a mounted metal model one can throw in for a unit of 6.)

Eulogy2
20-04-2009, 14:29
i usually run 6 with a champ and standard and no musician. they will pretty much destroy any rnf infantry on the charge, and 6 is a bit more forgiving with shooting casualties.

Lord-Kro-Xa
20-04-2009, 19:31
Hey guys, new here.

Usually for CoR i run 6 Wide, Full Command, but also i give them the "Sun Standard of Chotec". This does make them at 300 points, but it gives them a fairly better chance of survival. The squad usually breaks anything but stubborn squads, and always seems to earns their points back.