PDA

View Full Version : Will the Vulture be turned into a "skimmer" like the Valkyrie?

IG_Airborne_Ranger
18-04-2009, 19:58
Seeing how there is going to be a new hybrid plastic/resin Vulture using parts from the plastic Valkyrie, does anyone think FW will have rules for turning the Vulture into a skimmer so that it could be used in non-apocalypse games?

Tiller5
18-04-2009, 20:06
I see no reason why they wouldn't, seeing as it is essentially a gunship variant of the Valkyrie (albeit rather different!)

However, it does not have a Codex entry, so I wouldn't expect skimmer rules for them. That being said, you could just borrow the rules for the Valkyrie, use the Imperial Armour profile and Robert is indeed your dad's brother!

Vaktathi
18-04-2009, 20:08
Seeing how there is going to be a new hybrid plastic/resin Vulture using parts from the plastic Valkyrie, does anyone think FW will have rules for turning the Vulture into a skimmer so that it could be used in non-apocalypse games?

Possibly. However GW made a reason for the difference between the Flyer Valk and the Skimmer Valk. The Skimmer Valk has more armor for close support engagements when it's needed to stick around, it's AV12 all around instead of AV11, and thus is heavier and can't maneuver to the same degree as when it's extra armor plating is removed.

Ddraiglais
18-04-2009, 22:56
So would the vulture take up a FA slot or still be a detachment?

Chaos and Evil
18-04-2009, 22:59
Yes it will be becoming a Skimmer.

Warwick confirmed that to me at the FW open day.

IG_Airborne_Ranger
18-04-2009, 23:03

lol, and I just spent all night writing up the biggest D-99 Elysian Apocalypse list just so I can use my one vulture!

Havock
19-04-2009, 00:01
I don't mind it; though normal flyers are hardly overpowered, their rules can be a bit 'clunky' unless both players are familiar with it.

Lord Cook
19-04-2009, 01:13

Thanks for the info. I look forward to be being able to actually use my Vulture!

Maine
19-04-2009, 07:44

The Valkyrie, even before the new codex, was a Skimmer as well as a Flyer. Same for the Vulture ("Hover Mode" special rule).

So would the vulture take up a FA slot or still be a detachment?

IA:A officially supersedes IA Update 2006 (IA:A isn't just for Apoc). It's still a Heavy choice. It never was a detachment; those are only for superheavies.

I don't mind it; though normal flyers are hardly overpowered, their rules can be a bit 'clunky' unless both players are familiar with it.

As of IA:A and IA6:Vraks2, the IA Flyer rules officially adopted the same Flyer rules Apocalypse, eliminating the out-of-sequence actions. It never was Apoc only, but being a non-Codex unit it's always been by permission only.

Regarding the Hover Mode (going by the latest rules): When a VTOL-enabled Flyer (such as Valkyrie or Vulture) moves, it declares which mode it moves as - Skimmer or Flyer. Until the start of it's next movement phase it's treated as such. If it moves as a Flyer it MUST move to a new position at least 36" away from it's previous position, and transported units cannot disembark. However, all the usual Flyer benefits apply (12" range penalty, hit on 6s only, no template hits, can fire all weapons as if stationary). If the VTOL Flyer wants to stay stationary or move less than 36", it must move as a Skimmer and will be treated as such until it's next movement phase. Additionally, Flyers come in from reserve...

This is why, contrary to much whining and gnashing of teeth, a Valkyrie as a Codex unit being a deep striking Skimmer (and not a Flyer) is perfectly within the fluff; they gave it a big point discount and armor 12/12/10 to compensate.

Ddraiglais
19-04-2009, 08:39
IA:A officially supersedes IA Update 2006 (IA:A isn't just for Apoc). It's still a Heavy choice. It never was a detachment; those are only for superheavies.

That's cool. Now I'm wondering if FW will make the available in squadrons of three. Of course it will be difficult enough to fit twelve aircraft into a 2K point list.

boogle
19-04-2009, 10:16
When it does get a revamp, methinks an Elysian D-99 Drop Troop Army will be back on the menu

Chaos and Evil
19-04-2009, 11:06
This is why, contrary to much whining and gnashing of teeth, a Valkyrie as a Codex unit being a deep striking Skimmer (and not a Flyer) is perfectly within the fluff; they gave it a big point discount and armor 12/12/10 to compensate.

It's notable that in Epic (Which is normally closer to the background than Warhammer 40,000), Valkyries and Vultures have always been skimmers instead of true aircraft.