PDA

View Full Version : 54mm Dark Heresy character - Skarz the Scum

precinctomega
19-04-2009, 07:26
Don't worry. My other plogs haven't been completely abandoned. There shall be more truescale space marines later. But this is a paying commission, so it gets priority.

My client is a member of my wargaming club who wanted a 54mm version of his Dark Heresy character both for use in the game and for playing Inquisitor. But he was worried that the model he had acquired didn't look sufficiently like his character.

This was what he had got his hands on:

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/108/3/c/Skarz_the_Scum_____Before___1_by_precinctomega.jpg

Not quite the worst hatchet-job I've ever seen (I really should have taken a photo of the Gandalf-on-Shadowfax I've just stripped down!) but pretty poor, I'm sure you'll agree. Actually, I could have just painted the model from here. But the client's character - Skarz - is a young, roguishly-handsome charmer with an eye for the ladies. Plus, he has recently acquired himself a flak coat.

So my first step was to strip him down entirely and to take him apart as far as I could:

http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/108/4/d/Skarz_the_Scum_____Before___2_by_precinctomega.jpg

So far. So good.

But then I needed to rebuild him with a new head and that coat. Now, I had a suitable head handy - the hat-less head from the Bounty Hunter kit would be perfect for the purpose. But for sculpting the coat I had a bit of a reactionary idea: I would use Milliput.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've been using greenstuff for years and have recently moved onto ProCreate and some hybrid mixes for my sculpting. But I recently rediscovered Milliput as a wonderful medium when it comes to gap-filling. And I had this feeling that, when it came to mixing large blobs of medium and sculpting and filing it to shape, Milliput would be better. So, this was the result:

http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs44/f/2009/108/9/a/Skarz_the_Scum_____After___1_by_precinctomega.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs44/f/2009/108/8/f/Skarz_the_Scum_____After___2_by_precinctomega.jpg

I'll get around to painting him at some point today or tomorrow.

R.

precinctomega
19-04-2009, 17:44
Painting WIP:

http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/109/8/5/Skarz_the_Scum_____After___2_by_precinctomega.jpg

R.

precinctomega
20-04-2009, 16:24
Apparently not much interest, but that never stopped me. I've finished the model.

Look at that. A finished plog. In three posts and no replies.

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/110/e/4/Skarz_the_Scum_by_precinctomega.jpg

As the character develops and changes, I might be asked to update the model. If I do, I'll update the thread accordingly.

R.

Magos Explorator
20-04-2009, 19:21
Nice job; the different head really makes the guy look more slick.

BeatTheBeat
20-04-2009, 19:28
I think it looks great! It's always nice to see 54mm projects, sadly it's become a rare occurence here with the advent of =I=munda (and, well, let's face it, the general decline in # of Inquisitor players...) but this is a glimmer (is that the word?) of hope! Any more 54mm projects planned?

Would have subbed if you weren't already done! You deserve more replies :)

Cheers!

malika
20-04-2009, 19:34
Well, the thing is that the 54mm miniatures have always kind of bugged me. I don't know why really, there is always something weird about their proportions. Or maybe it's just that the normal minis (28mm) weird proportion becomes visible but is only hidden because those minis are so small.

precinctomega
21-04-2009, 07:31
and, well, let's face it, the general decline in # of Inquisitor players...

Decline? Are you kidding? The last gathering at Warhammer World was the largest yet and the numbers at the Inquisitor Grand Tournament have gone up year-on-year for the last three years. Last year we had Jervis Johnson and Gav Thorpe as our special guests and John Blanche turned up on cue to judge our painting competition!

My local club has at least half of its members playing regularly.

The reason you don't see many 54mm projects here is because we all gather at The Conclave (http://www.the-conclave.co.uk) instead.

@malika - Those of us who play Inquisitor regularly have been fully exposed to the flaws in the GW 54mm range through using other manufacturers' models in the game. That said, 54mm has a lot more freedom to explore the wide variation in the human form and although some models are very ugly indeed (Sister Repentia, anyone?), most of the range is usable to one extent or another.

R.

Tommygun
21-04-2009, 07:44
Nicely done. I like using Milliput too. It holds detail much better than green stuff, but it is a little harder to use in some ways.
I have never tried to make something like a cape out of it.
Was this a lot harder to do with Milliput than green stuff?

CMDante
21-04-2009, 08:39
Nice job there, just goes to show how much difference a bit of putty and a new part or two can make to a model. The original head that comes with Slick is pretty poor I think so good choice in swapping it out for something better.

The one thing I would suggest (or have suggested rather, before you begun painting) is that the left hand side of the jacket seems a little short (width-wise) compared with the right, doesn't really look long enough to meet in the middle at the front. Not really too noticeable but it was something that caught my eye.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Dante

SM_fanboy
21-04-2009, 12:48
In a word PO thats amazing!
Couldnt have hoped for a better outcome especialy as i wasnt expecting to see it done so quick!
And you definetly deserved more replies!
Thanks mate!

Mr Feral
21-04-2009, 13:27
Very nice!

The simple but striking colour scheme and conversions are class, and it's always good to see some more 54mm stuff about. :)

Deus Ruinus
21-04-2009, 15:31
yus its about time to see some 54mm models around, id thought i was the only one doing a 54mm project on my inquisitor.
very nice work you have done, the desperado miniatures are nice to convert, most times when i see people do a trench coat conversion on the desperado mini; it dosent work out well, but yours however works brilliantly. excellent work!

precinctomega
21-04-2009, 19:44
Was this a lot harder to do with Milliput than green stuff?

It was a piece of cake. Took about... 45 minutes? No more than that, for certain. I didn't give a massive amount of attention to getting all the details exactly right. It was more about the look and feel of the thing than about perfect attention to detail. My client had a very limited budget: about six times smaller than what was paid for the Harlequin and Dark Angel you can see in my sig. Hence, the time accorded to the project was about six times shorter.

The original head that comes with Slick is pretty poor

Actually, I rather like that head. As I gave the new head to the client from my personal bitz box, I'll be keeping Slick's head for my own use. The thing is that it doesn't actually look all that good on Slick's body! A friend of mine put it on Eisenhorn's body and sculpted on a bit more hair and a beard and it looks fantastic. I've also used it on Sgt Stone's body and it looks really good.

R.