PDA

View Full Version : how effective are scorpion tanks?

damz451
18-12-2005, 20:50
im thinking of gettin either a scorpion tank or a cobra for my eldar, are they effective against tanks?

Orbital
18-12-2005, 21:00
I have a Scorpion. It's very effective at drawing ALL the enemy fire and surviving. It's moderately effective at removing other tanks and infantry; even though the twin-linked pulsar is very powerful and it carries a second heavy weapon, its firepower is actually somewhat modest (compare to the Baneblade for insance). It's a great model and it does the job on the table, but don't get it with the thinking that it's going to become your ultimate "trump everything" card; you'll still need tactics and good generalship :)

ReDavide
18-12-2005, 22:42
I love the model, but I worry about how easy it is to disable - It only has one impressive gun, so any "gun crew shaken" result will make it about as scary as a guardian grav platform.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid though. Between the eldar field and spirit stones, I guess the chance of being shaken is fairly slim.

scottb
18-12-2005, 22:46
I just bought a mk-II version of the Scorpion and will be using it in a 2500 battle tomorrow (Harlequins+Scorpion) against 2500 of feral orks (including 1 squiggoth and one gargatuan squiggoth too :eek:). Will let you know how it goes.

Orbital
18-12-2005, 22:56
I love the model, but I worry about how easy it is to disable - It only has one impressive gun, so any "gun crew shaken" result will make it about as scary as a guardian grav platform.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid though. Between the eldar field and spirit stones, I guess the chance of being shaken is fairly slim.

It can take Spirit Stones but not Holo Field. It also has a 4+ invulnerable save.

neXus6
18-12-2005, 23:21
The MkII is beautiful, the original is pretty shabby in comparison.
Who cares about the rules it looks amazing.
:D

Puffin Magician
18-12-2005, 23:38
You have to treat both the Scorpion and Cobra like really big Fire Prisms. They're very good at killing only one particular type of thing, and terrible at anything else. They can move 12" a turn and still be effective, and as Orbital said they've got Energy Shields.

The Cobra should only be used when facing enemy Titans and other Superheavy vehicles. It's, short-ranged gun is great at eating hundreds of points every shot, with it's big s10 pieplate with the Titankiller ability.

The Scorpion has a greater range and multiple, only slightly weaker shots, and is capable of dealing with Baneblades, Land Raiders, other heavily armoured targets, and big creatures like the Gargantuan Squiggoth. It can deal with Titans, but not as well as it's cousin.

Orbital
19-12-2005, 00:01
You have to treat both the Scorpion and Cobra like really big Fire Prisms. They're very good at killing only one particular type of thing, and terrible at anything else. They can move 12" a turn and still be effective, and as Orbital said they've got Energy Shields.

I think that's true for the Cobra, but the Scorpion has two heavy weapons which can fire at independant targets. The big one (the Pulsar) is D3 shots, Str 9, AP2 blast. That's pretty good at taking care of all sorts of stuff, and because the BS is higher and there's more than one shot to be fired, I'd say it out-muscles the Fire Prism (which is good because it's nearly 6X the cost, points-wise).

What's more, with it's Spirit Stones, Eldar Energy field and three structure points, it's a real pig to get rid of.

Ares
19-12-2005, 03:02
.... it's a real pig to get rid of.

As it should be :)

Orbital
19-12-2005, 03:06
For 600 + points, I don't intend to lose it on turn one. :)

AgentZero
19-12-2005, 09:40
The MkII is beautiful, the original is pretty shabby in comparison.
Who cares about the rules it looks amazing.

I'm all about the old skool models, especially the old Armorcast stuff.
I like the retro look.
Especially when I plop down 3 Armorcast Falcons.
Remember them horrid looking Epic rip offs?:p
I always get "what's that?" , it's great.

I have both Scorpions and Cobras. But I don't recall anything important enough to mention if you're going to get one or the other.
The Scorpion probably has the best chance to factor in your games as most people don't field targets worth a Cobra's involvement.

Xander-K
19-12-2005, 11:27
i'd get a Cobra myself, its a more "fun" tank to use, as in, its all or nothing and when it pulls off its fantastic. (don't forget its got a HUGE gun on it too ;) )

Puffin Magician
19-12-2005, 12:57
D3 shots, Str 9, AP2 blast.I thought the Pulsars were ap1, no-blast, with Lance. I haven't bought all three damned books to keep up, but either way, it's a real waste to shoot at anything that isn't an expensive tank or a heap of Terminators/Mega-Armour.

3 Armorcast Falcons.They do have a nice, futuristic, "not grown in a wraithbone garden" look to them.

Orbital
19-12-2005, 17:08
I thought the Pulsars were ap1, no-blast, with Lance. I haven't bought all three damned books to keep up, but either way, it's a real waste to shoot at anything that isn't an expensive tank or a heap of Terminators/Mega-Armour.

I find that it's nice to have a gun that can just wail the hell out of more resilient units, like Obliterators.

neXus6
19-12-2005, 17:53
@AgentZero:
That's pretty cool, ah the "what's that?" effect, how I wish I had that...well I get it sometimes when I depoly me Leman Russ Executioner, but that's not nearly as good as an armourcast army.

scottb
19-12-2005, 17:57
Got Imperial Armour update 2005 and pulsars are ap1, rest of stats are as Orbital said.

neXus6
19-12-2005, 18:00
Owch, that is pretty damn brutal.
I was sure they were blast but I didn't know if they were Ap 1 or 2.
S9 blast always roll on the penetrating table, mental. :D

Orbital
19-12-2005, 18:06
Got Imperial Armour update 2005 and pulsars are ap1, rest of stats are as Orbital said.

I stand corrected. Thank you :)

As you can see, the Scorpion may not be the BEST thing that the Eldar have to use against Titans, but... it's clearly capable of going up against a Titan nonetheless.

damz451
19-12-2005, 20:17
i always get that when i use rogue trader units like the dreads

Sildani
19-12-2005, 21:20
The Pulsars have the Lance special rule.

Beware when using the Scorpion - if your die rolls are dodgy it will cease to be effective rather quickly. Having a large enough table to use it on is a must.

I used mine in a 1500 point mega-battle. Many tables were joined together to make for a very long battleline, and we set up on the long sides, so that I was about four feet away from my opponents. I got first turn, aimed my pulsars at his Rhino (only thing in LOS, and not in 3+ cover) and promptly rolled a one for number of shots. I then rolled a two for my to-hit.

This should have told me something.

I re-rolled and hit, then rolled a four to penetrate. I blew off his storm bolter. Nothing else. The squad inside disembarked, of course, which slowed him down but nothing else. His turn. His Tank-Hunting Blastmasters took aim at my Scorpion (it's over a foot long, so they were easily within range) and three hit. Rolled for penetration, and glanced. No problem, I need fours to save, thinks I. Three dice do I gather, three dice do I roll. Three threes do I get. He rolls on the penetratioin charts - and rolls sixes. And rolls sixes again. And then rolls other big numbers. And at the end of it all - this is the first turn - my pulsars are gone, my engines are damaged, and I'm down to one structure point. The only other thing my Scorpion did that battle was Tank Shock a squad of Daemonettes, to great effect.

So. Be careful. Be clever. Be lucky most of all. Oh, and don't forget, the Cobra's weapon ignores ALL energy fields.

Puffin Magician
19-12-2005, 21:21
I've got Imperial Armour update 2005 and Pulsars are s9 ap1 d3 BlastMeh, while up to 3 Blast templates placed as a Barrage is pretty nice against anything with a 2+ save, although I preferred them having Lance and no Blast since it's primarily a vehicle hunter. My Warhound Titan is now not so afraid of the Scorpion anymore... I'll spit two s9 and one s8+2d6AP Titankiller shots right back at it.

Edit: Response to Sildani:
What? So it's s9 ap1 Heavy d3 Blast, Lance? IAU05 trumps the other books [unless that too, is a typo] so scottb might be "righter". If it is Blast and Lance, well holy crap.

Sure does suck about your Scorpion being utterly useless. You really should move that thing over 6" every turn; it can only fire one weapon but it's only got one weapon worth firing. Why didn't you deploy on the short table edges?

Oh, and don't forget, the Cobra's weapon ignores ALL energy fields.Yep, that thing scares the hell out of me. Indirect s10 TK Ordnance, yeeouch!

damz451
19-12-2005, 22:01
Meh, while up to 3 Blast templates placed as a Barrage is pretty nice against anything with a 2+ save, although I preferred them having Lance and no Blast since it's primarily a vehicle hunter. My Warhound Titan is now not so afraid of the Scorpion anymore... I'll spit two s9 and one s8+2d6AP Titankiller shots right back at it.

Edit: Response to Sildani:
What? So it's s9 ap1 Heavy d3 Blast, Lance? IAU05 trumps the other books [unless that too, is a typo] so scottb might be "righter". If it is Blast and Lance, well holy crap.

Sure does suck about your Scorpion being utterly useless. You really should move that thing over 6" every turn; it can only fire one weapon but it's only got one weapon worth firing. Why didn't you deploy on the short table edges?
Yep, that thing scares the hell out of me. Indirect s10 TK Ordnance, yeeouch!

i was thinking of gettin a titan but seems a bit pricey and will probobly never get to use it

Sildani
19-12-2005, 22:07
I'm looking at IAU 2005 right now, and in the Pulsar's special rules it says: "A Pulsar treats all armor values of 12 or above as 12."

The tables were set up short end to short end. I had no choice. Rassem-frassem...

athamas
19-12-2005, 22:26
its a bright lance with gatling, blast and mega... that should tel you all you need..

its a good weapon if you can get more than 1 shot, if not then you have problems...

scottb
19-12-2005, 23:53
Just finished my battle against the feral orks, scorpion killed:
turn 1: ork artillery some wildboys
turn 2: most of the wild boys
turn 3: some more wild boys, while being cc by a guy with krak grendaes no hits hehe
turn 4: ork truck and some orks
turn 5: 2 wounds off the big squiggy
turn 6: more orks
end result well worth it killed his artillery, and about 40+ orks (good rolls with dice). Best bit was my Legolas Solitaire who killed the Gargantuan squiggy with his harlequins kiss :). All in all was a good fun battle.

Orcdom
20-12-2005, 03:13
nice to see the harlies do well too, have you painted the scorpion yet? if so do you have any pictures.

so i take it that you won the game?

Steve

scottb
20-12-2005, 21:47
Yes tis painted:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/scott24b/Scorpion2.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/scott24b/Scorpion1.jpg

and yes i won with 5 Death Jesters and 2 harlequins troupes left (and the scorpion :))
Edit: and if the scorpion doesn`t scare my enimies this will:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/scott24b/titanscorpion.jpg

damz451
20-12-2005, 22:27
omfg where did u get the titan from??, homemade?, looks too good for that

Orbital
20-12-2005, 22:46
That titan is just plain amazing.

Puffin Magician
20-12-2005, 22:58
What a bizarre colour scheme for your Scorpion... it looks like it would fit in with the Brazen Claws.

The Titan is a Phantom-class and was made by Armorcast some years ago.

The Pulsar is a Bright Lance with gatling, blast and mega...I guess it's worth it's points now... very very scary. Goodbye, Land Raider squadrons.

scottb
21-12-2005, 15:31
What a bizarre colour scheme for your Scorpion... it looks like it would fit in with the Brazen Claws.
Yeh its an odd colour, but it fits in with my harlequins who have a quartered colour scheme too. Made a little back story that the Scorpion saved a troupe from being killed by an enemy tank, so the tank was honoured by having its Sam-haim colour scheme replaced by the troupes colour scheme.
Makes sense to me, but im odd heh.

Jasonswills
22-12-2005, 00:47
how wide and long is the scorpion in centimetres?

AgentZero
22-12-2005, 07:52
@AgentZero:
That's pretty cool, ah the "what's that?" effect, how I wish I had that...well I get it sometimes when I depoly me Leman Russ Executioner, but that's not nearly as good as an armourcast army.

E-Bay!!!
I got all my Armorcast Falcons and Tempests off E-Bay.
For awhile people were basically giving away the Falcons because they're so ugly:p But in the last two years I've seen them go for more and more money, so I'm assuming the scarcity is taking effect.
The Tempests I got lucky on and got'em cheap , all under $30 + s&h USD.

scottb
22-12-2005, 18:20
how wide and long is the scorpion in centimetres?
Approximatly 30cm long by 23cm wide at the extremes.

neXus6
22-12-2005, 18:31
The other version is smaller right?
Doesn't have so many cool fins and spikey looking bits. Infact quite flat and boring.

AgentZero
22-12-2005, 21:44
The other version is smaller right?
Doesn't have so many cool fins and spikey looking bits. Infact quite flat and boring.

Flat and boring is exciting to some of us :p

Sildani
23-12-2005, 15:46
The Scorpion I is a bit smaller, not quite so sleek-looking. It also has an absurdly large turret, but I still like it. It's your only source for a Cobra, too.