PDA

View Full Version : [WOTR] Gondor [1000/1500/2000pts]

Quannum
20-04-2009, 12:23
Hi all, pretty new to WarSeer - been looking for a decent forum for WOTR and have ended up here!

Thought I'd share my Gondor Pelennor Fields Lists with you in 500-point increments starting at 1000pts. It is not designed to be the beardiest thing ever, but it certainly gives everything a run for its money. Have a look and see what you think:

PELENNOR 1000

Legendary 1: Aragorn – 200 pts.

Legendary 2: The Grey Company – 195 pts.
3 Companies/Halbarad

Common 1: Warriors of Minas Tirith – 165 pts.
4 Companies/Captain/Hornblower

Common 2: Archers of Minas Tirith – 60 pts.
2 Companies

Common 2: Knights of Minas Tirith – 140 pts.
3 Companies/Shields/Captain

Common 3: Knights of Minas Tirith – 140 pts.
3 Companies/Shields/Captain

Rare 1: Avenger Bolt Thrower – 50 pts.
1 Company

1 Company

TOTAL – 1000 pts.
MIGHT - 12
FORMATIONS – 3 Common/2 Rare.
COMPANIES – 12 Common/2 Rare
ALLIES – 0 pts. (0%)

PELENNOR 1500

Legendary 1: Gandalf the White (Allies) – 300 pts.

Legendary 2: Aragorn – 200 pts.

Legendary 3: The Grey Company – 315 pts.
6 Companies/Halbarad

Legendary 4: Court of the Dead King – 205 pts.
2 Companies/The King of the Dead/Banner Bearer

Common 1: Warriors of Minas Tirith – 150 pts.
4 Companies/Captain

Common 2: Knights of Minas Tirith – 170 pts.
4 Companies/Shields/Captain

Common 3: Knights of Minas Tirith – 60 pts.
2 Companies/Shields

1 Company

Rare 2: Avenger Bolt Thrower – 50 pts.
1 Company

TOTAL – 1500 pts.
MIGHT - 15
FORMATIONS – 3 Common/2 Rare.
COMPANIES – 10 Common/2 Rare
ALLIES – 300 pts. (20%)

PELENNOR 2000

Legendary 1: Gandalf the White (Allies) – 300 pts.

Legendary 2: Aragorn – 200 pts.

Legendary 3: Gimli, Son of Gloin – 175 pts.

Legendary 3: The Grey Company – 365 pts.
6 Companies/Halbarad/Banner of the King

Legendary 4: Court of the Dead King – 265 pts.
4 Companies/The King of the Dead/Banner Bearer

Legendary 5: Osgiliath Veterans – 275 pts.
4 Companies/Full Command

Common 1: Knights of Minas Tirith – 230 pts.
6 Companies/Shields/Captain

Common 2: Knights of Minas Tirith – 90 pts.
3 Companies/Shields

1 Company

Rare 2: Avenger Bolt Thrower – 50 pts.
1 Company

TOTAL – 2000 pts.
MIGHT - 20
FORMATIONS – 2 Common/2 Rare.
COMPANIES – 9 Common/2 Rare
ALLIES – 300 pts. (17%)

The Grey Company are just phenomenal. Shoot 3+, equipped with longbows, F5 (Banner of the King), S4 and indomitable, hitting at the same time as cavalry and ignoring terrain. Just amazing. The inspiration from the list is from the Battle for Minas Tirith (Pelennor Fields) in RotK. When Gandalf joins the list in 1500 up, he holds down the fort with the Gondorians - I use Gandalf mainly to drain the opponent's Might points through forcing Will of Iron rolls. I consider it lucky if I get any spells through. Aragorn and Gimli arrive with the Grey Company from the rear (epic Journey...expensive but awesome). The Court of the Dead King...though sometimes unpopular...features in the films and thus, they're in there. No room for Legolas unfortunately.

Any thoughts?

Q

Leonathion
20-04-2009, 14:01
I'm sorry but IMHO this totaly defiles the fluff behind it, and that's what the lord of the rings is all about...

I'd remove Saruman and the dwarf ballista from the 2000 pt list and maybe add bolt throwers and some expendable Wariors, this list is quite elite.

Quannum
20-04-2009, 14:11
I'm sorry but IMHO this totaly defiles the fluff behind it, and that's what the lord of the rings is all about...

I'd remove Saruman and the dwarf ballista from the 2000 pt list and maybe add bolt throwers and some expendable Wariors, this list is quite elite.

I'm sorry you think that. To an extent, you're right - it's not the fluffiest army ever but I'm in it to play the game and try out all phases of the game. That's why I have epic heroes, magic, decent fight, some ghosts, artillery and shooting. The first two lists are easily amendable fluff-wise - I just substitute in Gandalf the Grey for Saruman. In the 2000 list, it's possible to take out the Ballista and Saruman for Gandalf the White. Then it would be a Pelennor Fields list.

Q

Quannum
20-04-2009, 20:43
bump!

any more thoughts?

Q

Emissary
20-04-2009, 20:51
If you want to try out artillary, why not use a gondor ballista?

Quannum
21-04-2009, 01:11
If you want to try out artillary, why not use a gondor ballista?

A what? Do you mean the trebuchet?

I like the model but I don't like the price of it. Besides, I've got my Avenger Bolt Throwers in there!

Q

Jorgen_CAB
21-04-2009, 07:23
Hum.... fluff wise you can't run a Dwarf Ballista, Saruman the White, Aragorn and Gimli in the same list. I hope that you understand that. That would be like having a company of German panzers and English infantry fighting the Russians in a WWII wargame, how fun would that be... :confused:

In my opinion you either play War of The Ring, using the theme and background from the books to play hypothetical battles using at least a resemblance of authenticity. Or you simply play a game with models representing a fantasy world, much like Warhammer.

I think the Rulebook give us too many options and I really hope that we get some good information in the future which units go with what units for different time periods. So that the game does not end up as a random fantasy game with dragons, demons and spiders all over the place for no apparent reason.

I will not claim that I know every troop type that can go with other troop types in a game and what is a reasonable alliance or not. But I hope if I presented an army someone would tell me that those units do not belong together because those persons (troop types) did not exist in the same time period.

I'm sorry for rambling, but I see this allot in many army lists in this forums. I would have a hard time playing against someone who mix things around making things simply gamey with no feeling what so ever...

If you like to have Dwarves as allies, that is fine, but use at least one regular Dwarf warrior unit and don't just take a Ballista. That way you could argue that it is a contingent of Dwarves lead by Gimli or something, that would at least be plausible.

I really don't see how you could ever mix Saruman with Aragorn, why don't you simply use Gandalf the White instead, that would fit your theme much better.

And please drop the Court of the Dead, they are just laughable fluff wise anyway. I would say they are only for tournaments and specific scenarios.

All to his own... either way, you play for fun... if it is fun for you to play against the spirit of Middle Earth that is up to you, but then it is only a simple Fantasy Game with LotR figures, nothing more.

Sorry if I sound harsh...

Quannum
21-04-2009, 10:48
First off, let me say I appreciate the honesty of your post - its good to get a sense of what gamers lean towards in terms of fluff. This system more than any other attracts fluff-orientated players.

To an extent, this is a good thing and the system deserves that. But sometimes, the fluff analysis is too harsh and ironically, people are so invested in the idea of keeping "the spirit of the game" that they actually lose sight of it again! Where I play, we are encouraged to field first the units that we think look or play cool, and build a list accordingly.

I am fully capable of making fluff-based lists, but this thread isn't about that as I've explained in the OP...what I've posted here is a bit of a fun list bringing together a good few factions to give a total game experience. Its doesn't abuse any phases of the game, it just addresses them all, and has a few cool tricks to boot.

And please drop the Court of the Dead, they are just laughable fluff wise anyway. I would say they are only for tournaments and specific scenarios.

Why do you say this? People seem to have a problem with Gondor lists that have this option...it's there in the list, the models look cool, i'm taking them!

Q

Jorgen_CAB
21-04-2009, 11:12
Why do you say this? People seem to have a problem with Gondor lists that have this option...it's there in the list, the models look cool, i'm taking them!
Because they are totally misrepresented from the theme of the books. Some of the other stuff that they have either changed or modified are mostly minor things. The dead army are not in the spirit of Middle Earth, at least not to me.
They are presented in the game as they were presented in the movies that is clear, but that was the only big concern that I had with the movies. Most of the other stuff that was incorrect was not such a problem.

Anyway, please use them... I think that they are slightly over priced as well for what they do.

And as I said, what makes the game fun for you is the most important thing... just make sure it is fun for you opponent as well. :)

Quannum
22-04-2009, 13:18
Edited the lists in the OP to make them more "themed" and less "defiling". Hehe.

Also, having been convinced in a thread in the Rules forum about the correct way to calculate the points cost of Legendary Formations, I have corrected the points in the OP. As a result, the lists have slightly changed.

Q

Xarius
24-04-2009, 18:14
sorrybut you cant have gandalf and gimli in a gondor list IIRC

The Muster of Rohan
24-04-2009, 18:58
sorrybut you cant have gandalf and gimli in a gondor list IIRC

Of course you can; that's what the allies system is for! In a 2000 point army, you can have both, since they're a total of 475 points, or less than 25% (just!)

miker1
29-04-2009, 19:30
I don't have a problem with the Dead warriors. They DID fight [destroying the Corsairs] just not at Pelennor. Aragorn and Gimli were there, the Grey company were there, and as the Lebennin and others held troops back because of the Corsairs, who is to say what other troop types were used in the Corsairs detruction.
Ergo Gandalf can be forgiven because he goes where he is needed and he MIGHT have been needed there!