PDA

View Full Version : Converting rangers of middle-earth to a grey company?!

existenz
20-04-2009, 15:29
yeah,thats my truly simple question,since im waiting a box of rangers and i thought if i could make them grey company,like it was in an article on gw site?

Deakor
20-04-2009, 15:37
Sure you can.

I don't have my book in front of me, but I think the Rangers of Middle Earth models are equipped the same way that the Grey Company is equipped in WoTR, so there shouldn't be any WYSIWYG issues there. I would paint them differently (in grey cloaks, perhaps?) so that they look different from Rangers of Arnor or Gondor. There are some good examples on the GW site as well as the models in the WoTR book. The Ranger models are really versatile and there are a number of units they can represent in the game (in fact, if you look at the Black Vale Legendary formation in WoTR, you'll see that those are just Rangers painted up differently)

For my army, I think I'm going to make the first company out of the old metal Rangers of the North and Dunedain models (and perhaps the new Grey Company minis) with the Rangers of Middle Earth filling out the other three companies. I'm not sure what I'm going to do paint-wise. I like the new scheme shown on the new Grey Company minis, so I may do all of the Grey Company in blue-grey clothes/black or dark grey tunics, and grey cloaks.

Also, if you can track down the older Halbarad model with the banner, I personally think it looks better than the new one. And the Halbarad that came out with the Ruin of Arnor (no banner) is a lovely model as well.

Bento
20-04-2009, 16:33
I do believe that Rangers of Arnor, Rangers of Gondor, Blackroot Vale Archers, Rangers of Ithilien, Dunedain of the North, and The Grey Company could all be represented by the plastic Rangers. The only thing of note is that the Grey Company is wearing heavy armour, while the rest just have armour.

Just paint them up so your opponent can notice the difference - I'd go green and brown with black trim for Gondor, mostly green for Arnor, more black for the Dunedain, grey cloaks for the Grey Company, use the blue and white for the Blackroot Vale as GW does, and Ithilien's rangers will have Damrod and Madril in the formation anyway.

Quannum
20-04-2009, 17:09
As I'm doing exactly the same thing...would you mind posting a link to this GW article as I can't find it anyway.

On a side note, Grey Company are just amazing.

Q

Deakor
20-04-2009, 19:37
As I'm doing exactly the same thing...would you mind posting a link to this GW article as I can't find it anyway.

On a side note, Grey Company are just amazing.

Q

Here is a general article on a SBG Grey Company - a couple of nice example pics and then a step-by-step for painting the 'Three Hunters' version of Aragorn.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=&categoryId=800006&pIndex=0&aId=9500001&start=1

Here is a collection of Ranger paint schemes. I think the one in the top left might be neat as a jumping off point for Grey Company.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat210006&categoryId=800006&aId=6100002

Finally, here are the new minis - just so we have a paint job to compare the others with

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1840001&rootCatGameStyle=

I see Bento's point about the armor - these new Grey Company minis are pretty clearly wearing some sort of scale mail armor. Still, I think you'd be fine using Rangers of Middle-Earth, appropriately painted, as part of a Grey Company formation.

Quannum
20-04-2009, 20:54
Cheers Deakor,

I can't see any problem in using the ranger models as them. I'll be buying the newest Halbarad model to signify the command company but that's about it. The plastic kit isn't the easiest kit to convert and most are one-piece models, but hey, they're awesome.

I'll try and get a few images up of my Grey Company in a bit.

Deakor
20-04-2009, 21:09
Not sure if you've seen this model or not, but its what I'm planning on using for my Halbarad.

Still not sure if I like the new one that well, but I know I like this one:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1130318&rootCatGameStyle=

The one that came out in the double pack with Arathorn is good as well if you aren't going to use the banner (say if you are doing an army representing the Grey Company pre-Paths of the Dead when they are operating in the North)

I'd love to see pictures of what others are doing for Grey Company - I'm still having a hard time deciding how to paint mine up.

existenz
21-04-2009, 00:57
cool..so i'm going to make my grey company..but now i realized that i need halbarad..can i convert one of the rangers in him??

Quannum
21-04-2009, 01:01
@deakor: See, i'm not too keen on that Halbarad...I think the banner looks pitiful. But I prefer the body pose.

@existenz: You could, but I can't see an appropriate model on the sprue. I'd just get the metal.

Q

Deakor
21-04-2009, 01:58
Yeah, I agree - the banner leaves something to be desired (especially compared to the new one), but I like the pose so much that I think I'm just going to go with it.

My favorite Halbarad is still the one that came out with Ruin of Arnor - I may use him as a Ranger captain when I've got Halbarad with the banner in the Grey Company.

Lord Asuryan
22-04-2009, 15:38
how about using elves as grey company? seeing as there were elves IN the Grey Company in the books?

22-04-2009, 17:10
how about using elves as grey company? seeing as there were elves IN the Grey Company in the books?

Yes, well, there were TWO Elves. Elladan and Elrohir, I'm planning to add them (the unarmored models) to my Grey Company at larger point levels - just because there were in there. They're fairly minor as Epic Heroes go.

Deakor
22-04-2009, 17:24
The Grey Company would also work nicely as an ally to a Rivendell themed Elf force (given the connections between Elladan/Elrohir and the Grey Company).

gonzosbignose
23-04-2009, 00:26
Ive seen the rangers used as grey company and no ones batted an eye lid... they look fine

In terms of there in game performance... gobsmackingly good! absolutely incredible unit... especially if you take the full sized unit.

The halbarad figure might not be nice... but the standards great in terms of game play.. and having elodan and elrohir... doing crazy double might pointed epic/heroic abilities makes them awesome

Regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer

Quannum
24-04-2009, 17:59
I want Elladan and Elrohir in my list but as I've already got Gimli, Aragorn and Halbarad in the command company, I can only pick one of them as per the rules on p.68.

Sad face.

Deakor
24-04-2009, 19:45
I don't have my rulebook in front of me, but I take it you are referring to the Allies restrictions?

If so, you could save points on allies by taking the Three Hunters formation - granted you don't get the spiffy benefits of having individual epic heroes Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas running around, but the Three Hunters formation costs less than 1/3 of what those heroes would be individually I believe.

Basically the allies in my Grey Company themed list are the Three Hunters, Elladan, and Elrohir. Everything else comes from the Gondor/Arnor list. I'll post my initial list up when I get home, but I'm shooting for 1500 points and I am able to get the allies in with no issues. I could not do so if I tried to take each hero individually - the army would have to be much larger.

If the issue is something else and not the allies restriction, then please disregard what I just said. :) Though I must ask, if not the allies restriction, what else is there? They are epic heroes so you shouldn't run afoul of the Common/Rare restrictions.

IllidanStormrage
04-05-2009, 00:44
all you really have to do is paint them like Grey company because they look just like them, except they have Grey cloaks. like they other guy said.