PDA

View Full Version : Who has the cheesiest special characters?

mattnaik
20-04-2009, 15:45
I haven't read all of the codices, but after reading the Space Marine codex, I'm beginning to think the special characters in that army are among the most powerful for their price in the game.

So my question is, who do you think has the cheesiest of all the races's in the 40k universe.

Mannimarco
20-04-2009, 15:53
the marines cheese abilities are not the characters in themselves, its the abilities they can give you: wow taking this one guy makes all my thunderhammers master crafted, oh and this guy gives me free twin linked flamers and melta weapons

for sheer stompy death of mass killyness abbadon is a safe bet

the1stpip
20-04-2009, 15:56
Eldrad
Nightbringer
Ghazghkull

RustyKnight
20-04-2009, 15:56
Well, I've heard that Blood Angels have some of the best as far as cost-to-benefits goes.

Personally, I'd take Abbaddy for killyness, Old One Eye for awesomeness, and Ghazkull for army support.

Zedsdead
20-04-2009, 16:07
abbadon in normal games is pretty cheesey

carldooley
20-04-2009, 16:13
Saint Celestine of the Witch Hunters - she has a fun WBB ability plus faith points, a flamer, jetpack, and a Relicblade!

mattnaik
20-04-2009, 16:16
Nightbringer

for 360pts I hardly find that cheesy.

Lord Damocles
20-04-2009, 16:21
There arn't that many 'cheesy' characters. There are some dead 'ard ones - but you usually pay a premium for them (Abbadon, Nightbringer etc.)

The Marine characters are probably the worst offenders just because their costs don't (can't) factor in how their special rules can scale up at different points levels, and they tend to be priced very competetively compared to similarly equipped generic HQs.

Vaktathi
20-04-2009, 16:23
Space Marines and Eldar. Almost every other codex's SC's are pretty ok, but between the SM characters like Vulkan and Eldrad, those two have it.

Frontier
20-04-2009, 16:26
Eldrad
Nightbringer
Ghazghkull

Thank you for not turning this into yet another Marine bitchfest. Eldrad is a pain in the ass at the best of times. Characters like Abbadon and Ghazghkull routinely pummel the ever-loving crap out of opponents.

Grazzy
20-04-2009, 16:32
Space marine overall, but IMO eldrad is the best. He truly is awesome in almost any eldar army.

keroro623
20-04-2009, 16:33
Aun'va of the tau codex:D

seriously, I'd have to say either thraka or eldrad

Mannimarco
20-04-2009, 16:34
and thats simply ising their own rules and wargear without neat special rules,

lets look at abbadon, yeah hes about as much as a land raider but with a high WS and a minimum of 5 powerfist attacks per turn hes real scary, stick him in a small termy squad to soak up wounds and watch him go

Thanatos_elNyx
20-04-2009, 16:36
Actually Space Marine characters aren't that strong on their own when you compare them to the Chaos Codex. Almost all the Chaos characters would eat the Space Marine characters for breakfast. What makes the SM Characters so uber is teh crazy Army special rules that they have!

Madigan
20-04-2009, 16:39
Abbadon is probably the "killiest" Named Character in the game, and probably tied with Ghazkhul, Calgar, and Lysander for how hard he is to kill.

As far as how they affect the army they're with though, Vulkan and Khan are probably the best "overall" best Named Characters.

Eldrad and the Nightbringer are annoying, but not overall as useful as Abbadon and Vulkan. Even Calgar and Lysander, whilst useful and hard to kill, are not as killy as Abbadon (although Lysander is much, much more points-efficient than either Calgar or Abbadon).

As far as the new Guard codex goes, we've really yet to see how its Named Characters fare. Yarrick is potentially hard to kill, but not really all that useful or killy. Creed, Bastonne, and Harker are all really useful, but also relatively easy to kill. The best bang-for-your-buck out of the whole codex is probably the Tallarn Platoon Commander guy or Tank Commander Pask, and even then you REALLY have to have a good plan in mind for either for them to be truly useful.

Mannimarco
20-04-2009, 16:44
i just forget one of the more irritating characters: typhus! a terminator with T5, FNP and a 2+ armour save and a poisoned daemon force weapon

no immunity to instant death but still pretty sweet

The_Outsider
20-04-2009, 17:03
DE

Vect (even for his cost) is horrendously broken when you realise what it means for a 2K army.

At 2K DE become the new IW.

[edit] Lelith too, her + the FAQ = a archite that is a good 50 points cheaper than a normal one with similar gear.

tuebor
20-04-2009, 17:23
Saint Celestine of the Witch Hunters - she has a fun WBB ability plus faith points, a flamer, jetpack, and a Relicblade!

I never thought she was worth the risk of losing extra faith points. I preferred to just spend the points on a jump pack Canoness.

I foresee a lot of complaining about Al'Rahem in the near future when people have to go up against gigantic mechanized flanking platoons.

Bigbot
20-04-2009, 17:26
Nightbringer, so...*******...hard

Captain Micha
20-04-2009, 17:27
Nightbringer

You are being sarcastic here right?

Anytime you can field a C'tan You can always do better by spending the points on more Necrons, or another Lord.

Now if this was an award for Largest Fire Magnet the C'tan would probably win this hands down. Because people see their stats, crap their pants and start unloading the entire army into them.

Venerable_Brother
20-04-2009, 17:29
Eldrad, Ghazzie, Despoiler, Nightbringer (although I prefer the Deceiver for fun), Vulkan is up there.
Is Ragner Blackmane for SW still decent?

The_Outsider
20-04-2009, 17:33
Is Ragner Blackmane for SW still decent?

Fun fact: Him and Grimnar aren't IC's.

Captain Micha
20-04-2009, 17:37
My vote, pretty much all of the SM characters are stupidly good.

Out and out Kill Your Face though goes to Eldrad.

stompy
20-04-2009, 17:39
I think Epidemius is up there. While he's not the best in standard sized games, in apocalypse he becomes really nasty, especially when combined with Nurgle marines

Venerable_Brother
20-04-2009, 17:43
Fun fact: Him and Grimnar aren't IC's.

:confused: Ha Ha! The Great Wolf is not even an IC? Codex too old school!!

The_Outsider
20-04-2009, 17:50
:confused: Ha Ha! The Great Wolf is not even an IC? Codex too old school!!

Yet Ulrik is - it is clearly a mistake they've never fixed.

Venerable_Brother
20-04-2009, 18:12
so every wolves player running Ragner with Blood Claws and conferring 'Berserk Rage' is not playing RaW. ...

Venerable_Brother
20-04-2009, 18:13
Hmm..just checked codex, all Wolf Lords are IC's...unless accompanied by a bodyguard..

The_Outsider
20-04-2009, 18:32
Hmm..just checked codex, all Wolf Lords are IC's...unless accompanied by a bodyguard..

Yeah they are, but Grimnar and Ragnar do not have IC in their rules.

so every wolves player running Ragner with Blood Claws and conferring 'Berserk Rage' is not playing RaW. ...

As they aren't IC's neither could join blood claws anyway.

Ammedie
20-04-2009, 19:05
why is eldrad the cheesyest?

i rekon its the space marines ones. they should have limets. scout sargent tellion appears so often im sure the inquisition should look in to him.

Venerable_Brother
20-04-2009, 19:17
@The_Outsider, surely by defacto they are IC as they are Wolf Lords?
Hey, don't get me wrong I'm an eldar player...but it clearly states that all wolf lords are IC, a prefix to the army list, negating the need to state that the 2 named Wolf Lords are IC, taking up valuable fluff space!! ;)...

Eldrad can Fortune 2 squads a turn, and use a 3rd power per turn to doom/guide/mind war/eldritch storm another squad, has a I6 power weapon that wounds on a 2+, join a squad with a warlock with er embolden (I think) and all faield LD can be rerolled- meaning that with Runes of Witnessing...it is very difficult for a spell to fail or for Perils to occur. As eldrad is in the squad (as an IC ;) ) he also gets the reroll, meaning that if the squad is hit by something hideous that negates, say, even Wraithguard armour that both Eldrad and the Warlock have a 3++ and 4++ invulnerable save that is rerollable.
er...thats just one trick.
How about guide 2 sets of 3 WarWalkers with scatter lasers, whilst also dooming the target?
Eldrad is sick. I'm sure there are so so so many others trick to use...haven't even mentioned Divination...

Defcon
20-04-2009, 19:47
Abaddon has a 1-in-6 chance of not attacking every assault phase. Sorry, but for over landraider points that is not good enough.

Vect used to be able to hide behind infantry using the Independent Character rule. As a gigantic skimmer. People didn't like that much.

Also my vote is for Lysander/Vulkan. The Space Marine players around here do not go a game without using at least one of them, which feels like it cheapens SCs overall, but that might just be my annoyance at Space Marine invulnerable saves being so prevalent.

dookie
20-04-2009, 19:58
I always thought Methiston was one of the 'killyest' Characters in the game recently. He's not too high on special rules but his stat line is incredible, the feel no pain is just comedy when put with the 2+ armour save.

Venerable_Brother
20-04-2009, 20:00
Mephiston is bad ass. Full stop. However, his powers requires pyschic tests...Runes of Warding shut it down. alot. But there is no denying he is a CC beast.

The_Outsider
20-04-2009, 20:08
@The_Outsider, surely by defacto they are IC as they are Wolf Lords?
Hey, don't get me wrong I'm an eldar player...but it clearly states that all wolf lords are IC, a prefix to the army list, negating the need to state that the 2 named Wolf Lords are IC, taking up valuable fluff space!! ;)...

No, since special characters use their own entries.

Every SC/unique character since 3rd ed that is an IC has had it in their own entry, even if they are just basically a vanilla model plus some snazzy gear.

mattschuur
20-04-2009, 20:25
What about Yriel? 155 points for a super Autarch that wounds MC's on 2's with no armor save. In addition, he can drop a pie plate on himself and waste a whole mob of orks or what not. Not counting his S9 anti-tank weapon.

I also will throw a vote at Abaddon. He went through a Tyrant and guard that charged him, a carnifex, 5 warriors and 10 gaunts one game and didn't die. Another game he took the charge of 7 Lightning claw terminators and a chaplain, eventually beating down the terminators until only the chaplain was left who promptly took off abaddon's last wound.

Vect is pretty ridiculous being a BS 6 ravager with all around 14 armor "and" a walker with 5 S4 power weapon attacks in close combat.

Now, if we want to include old characters then the Old Lucius the Eternal was stupidly broken. If he died he'd return the following turn (I believe) replacing the model who "killed" him, which was removed from play, and would be in combat with that squad.

matt schuur

SirSnipes
20-04-2009, 20:29
hmmm thesecome to mind
skulltaker
fateweaver
marines(the only army i ahte)
zogwart(yet i love him)

Venerable_Brother
20-04-2009, 20:32
@ The_Outsider: Coolio, I'll bow to your wisdom on this one dude!! :)

even if they are just basically a vanilla model plus some snazzy gear.

How true.

Vect sounds pretty nasty, not up to speed with DE though so not really aware of his use(get it? up to speed? DE...ho ho ho..:cries::wtf::cries:)

marv335
20-04-2009, 20:32
Eldrad as he is 5pts cheaper than a similarly equipped farseer but is so much better.

The_Outsider
20-04-2009, 20:45
Vect sounds pretty nasty, not up to speed with DE though so not really aware of his use(get it? up to speed? DE...ho ho ho..:cries::wtf::cries:)

Ever faced 4 ravagers at 2K?

Venerable_Brother
20-04-2009, 21:06
Er no man. I'm guessing its not something i want to...

Mannimarco
20-04-2009, 21:10
you dont, by the end of the game im looking down at masses of my army thats been blown to hell thinking "what the hell just happerned!?!?" and "my tanks! they were meant to be armour 14!"

druchii
20-04-2009, 21:16
Mephiston is bad ass. Full stop. However, his powers requires pyschic tests...Runes of Warding shut it down. alot. But there is no denying he is a CC beast.

He's like a greater demon of the imperium!

I'm surprised no one's mentoned Kharn, super cheap points wise, gorechile is way OTT and he's cheap... (did I menton that already?)

Eldrad is easily one of the worse offenders in the game.

d