PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Pts Night Goblins competitive

Unite All Action
20-04-2009, 18:54
2000 Pts Night Goblins Came across this list just thought I would ask for your opinion To see exactly highly competitive it would be

1 Night Goblin Shaman
General; Size Matters - Goblins; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Fear Elves; Hate Dwarves

1 Night Goblin Shaman
Size Matters - Goblins; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Fear Elves; Hate Dwarves

1 Night Goblin Shaman

1 Night Goblin Shaman

10 Goblin Wolf Riders
Size Matters - Goblins; went on; Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Animosity; Fear Elves
10 Wolf

10 Goblin Wolf Riders
Size Matters - Goblins; ; Spear Light Armour; Shield; Animosity; Fear Elves
10 Wolf

20 Night Goblins
Size Matters - Goblins; Hand Weapon; Shield; Animosity; Fear Elves; Hate Dwarves
2 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
Size Matters - Goblins; Hand Weapon; Shield; Animosity; Fear Elves; Hate Dwarves
2 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
Size Matters - Goblins; Hand Weapon; ; Shield; Animosity; Fear Elves; Hate Dwarves
2 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
2 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
Size Matters - Goblins; Hand Weapon; Short Bow; Animosity; Fear Elves; Hate Dwarves
1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
Size Matters - Goblins; Hand Weapon; Short Bow; Animosity; Fear Elves; Hate Dwarves
1 Fanatics

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew
Size Matters - Goblins; Hand Weapon; Fear Elves

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Giant
Causes Terror; Ignore Greenskin Panic; Large Target; Stubborn

1 Giant
Causes Terror; Ignore Greenskin Panic; Large Target; Stubborn

Total Roster Cost: 2000

Eulogy2
20-04-2009, 18:59
personally, i dont think giants fit well with a pure goblin theme but if you dont care about fluff and just want to field a giant then ok.

whats a goblin army without squigs??! id drop atleast 1 giant and a few spear throwers for some squigs and maybe a few pump wagons.

Unite All Action
20-04-2009, 19:14
I would have to disagree with yourself but I was thinking about converting the giants as spiders although I have started one recently

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g141/uniteallaction/Warhammer/Night%20Goblin/DSCF6636.jpg

I have recently came across an old games workshop miniature which I think would fit well in the theme.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g141/uniteallaction/Warhammer/Night%20Goblin/BQZvgFB2kKGrHgoOKkEEjlLmY7zeBJ4vweu.jpg

StrangeGuy
20-04-2009, 19:30
I've always thought of giants fitting very well with Goblins. maybe it's just that they have something that they can boss around and it's huuuuuge, I mean, what self-respecting Goblin wouldn't take that oppurtunity!

As to the army, the first thing that I think is that the NG units are too small, maybe mash them into 4 units of 30? (I think that works out as the same amount but I may be wrong, my brain is like melted fudge today). I personally like them bigger than that but 30. Also, maybe replace one of the shamans with a NG BSB, possibly with Rowdy grotts big red banner to help you pass those all important break and panic tests (don't forget one unit running can send shock waves running down your whole line.) maybe this is just another case of personal preference but imo it would be more solid, although I doubt he could stay in range of THAT many goblin (not necessarily a bad thing :evilgrin: ).

Just a few of my thoughts. I dunno about how competitive it is though, never really used my Gobbos in a tourney, I expect someone much more experianced than me will come along and give you a few more pointers soon though :)

Eulogy2
20-04-2009, 19:34
I still think you need some squigs or something that can hit hard. and the guy above me is right, 4 units of 30 would be better than 6 units of 20. or even 4 units of 25 and one unit of 20.

Unite All Action
20-04-2009, 19:37
StrangeGuy Your opinions are very much appreciated

Making the unit is bigger is definitely an option although what I would probably take out the goblin fanatics in certain units to free up points

Stuffburger
21-04-2009, 05:47
Making your list a little more legible I got:

4x Night Goblin Shaman

2x10 Goblin Wolf Riders, Spear, LA, Shield
4x20 Night Goblins, 2x fanatics each
2x 20 Night Goblins w/ shortbow, 1 fanatic each

8x Spear Chukka

2x Giant

As a competitive list there are a lot of things that need changing.

Since you are obviously going for heavy magic, why not take a NG great shaman and get better casting power? Some magic items are also in order- the staff of sneaky stealin' is a great way to shut down your opponents magic phase, a magic mushroom or two will let you get a critical spell of when you need it (well, most of the time), the itty ring wil give you even more magical firepower.

With an NG shaman as your general you have leadership 5 across the board. There is a good chance your whole army will chain panic before you even get into combat. A BSB and a better general (A Goblin Great shaman would give you more magic and 7 ld, bad but almost useable) will let you have a chance of holding.

You have your wolf riders kitted out weirdly. With shields they lose the fast cavalry ability, which is the main reason to take them. The extra rank that having 10 provides will be lost to one casualty and will never come into play, while making the unit twice as expensive and unwieldy to move. They are best used in clumps of 5-6, with spears and musician as flanking units, march blockers and warmachine killers. Against any real combat unit they will lose in a frontal charge.

There are two general types of Goblin units- throwaway and combat. You have all of yours equipped like throwaways- 20 goblins, fanatics and nothing else. While they have their purpose (Though I think you need to add a musician to them) you probably want some combat equipped units- 35 strong, with full command and nets. These units have modest staying power and can even win combat sometimes. As it stands if the enemy can stand up to the bolt throwers and dodges the fanatics you have nothing else in his way.

Units of 20 bowmen are fine, but consider that they take up a lot of space, are slow and squabble and get in the way when you least want it. Do you have room for two of them? Also, add a musician. They tend to run, and the +1 to rally helps.

Maxed out spear chukkas is probably the most competitive way to go for a defensive list.

Giants don't make much sense in this list- most of your line wants to hang back and shoot while the giants want run out and krump things. Doom divers might be a better choice.

Keeping the list more or less intact I'd suggest:

Goblin great shaman, Lvl4, magic items of some sort.
Goblin bigboss BSB, raggedy banner
NG shaman Lvl2, Staff of sneaky stealin'
NG shaman Lvl2, scroll, mushroom

3x5 Wolf riders, spear, mus
3x35 NGs, nets, Full command, 2x fanatics
20 NGs, mus, fanatic
20 NG bowmen, fanatic, mus

8x spear chukka

2x doom diver

didn't calculate the points on this one but it should be reasonably close. Good luck!

Dark14
21-04-2009, 06:14
i would try more bows and a rock lobba if you can. Also great shaman would really help you would dominate shooting/magic your gobo's will die against any half threatening units so whittle them to nothing and let fanatics do the rest.

Nicha11
21-04-2009, 07:11
great shaman, bow for the Gobbo's. Far more fanatics and swap those giants for doom divers.

Oh and fanatic slingshot your opponent turn 1.

Unite All Action
21-04-2009, 16:33
After much thought and some great advice as usual on the forum I have managed to tweak the list .

Overall I think it has been very much improved the only consideration would be to drop the two giants and replace them with divers that in itself would free up quite a lot of extra additional points 250 to spend on other things. I am still not sure whether or not it is worthwhile to consider upgrading one of the shamans to you level 4

1 Goblin Shaman Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon

340pts

5 Goblin Wolf Riders
Size Matters Goblins M Spear Light Armour 5 Wolf

5 Goblin Wolf Riders
Size Matters Goblins M Spear Light Armour 5 Wolf

35 Night Goblins big
Size Matters Goblins C M S Nets Hand Weapon; Shield 2 Fanatics

35 Night Goblins big
Size Matters Goblins C M S Nets Hand Weapon; Shield 2 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins small
Size Matters Goblins M Hand Weapon Shield m 1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins small
Size Matters Goblins; Hand Weapon Shield 1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins small
Size Matters Goblins M Hand Weapon Shield 1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
Size Matters Goblins M Hand Weapon Short Bow

20 Night Goblins
Size Matters Goblins M Hand Weapon Short Bow

957pts

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

1 Goblin Spear Chukka
3 Goblin Crew

280pts

1 Giant 205

1 Giant 205

410pts

Big 1987

Stuffburger
21-04-2009, 19:59
For the leadership alone it's worth it to upgrade a shaman to a lord level. A Goblin shaman general with leadership 6 gives a unit within 12" a 15/36 chance to pass a panic test, or 42%. Using an LD7 Great shaman gives you 21/36 or 58% chance to pass. Play a couple games with low-LD goblins and you'll see why people are telling you a lord is mandatory.

Even better would be an Orc shaman of some sort, or a Goblin warboss (a steal at 65 points), both LD8 (72% chance to pass panic) but you might not want that for theme reasons.

Chart with chances to pass a leadership test http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/calculations/calc_leadership.php

Unite All Action
21-04-2009, 20:38
Do not get me wrong, to see the benefits of a level four and thinking about it a little bit more it definitely an option.

The only thing I need to consider is it too much heavily focused on magic and will that in turn be worse the points that are being spent

I suppose the benefits of putting the shamans in the units of goblins will increase their leadership which in turn will lead to a small advantage

Just a final thought instead of upgrading to level four would just be more cost-effective to include skarsnik in this army?

beaumontbrawler
21-04-2009, 21:23
just a final thought instead of upgrading to level four would just be more cost-effective to include skarsnik in this army?

absolutely!!!

rtunian
21-04-2009, 22:35
including skarsnik is always a good decision. cheap + awesome = win

Unite All Action
22-04-2009, 15:37
I suppose if I was the change to the doom divers this would free up points which meant I could put skarsnik in the army.