PDA

View Full Version : Tau- New codex, New allies? (not rumour thread)

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
20-04-2009, 20:19
When they release the new Tau codex (whenever that is) do you think they will add new races as Tau allies, and make them as models. Release models for current allies (e.g. Demiurg, Nicassar). Add more allies to the fluff. Or just not bother at all?

Like I say on the title, this is not a rumour thread, just random speculation.

boogle
20-04-2009, 20:22
There were rumoured of some cavalry type unit that was considered for release in the last version (which eventually became the vespid), but there were some more rumours that this unit may well turn up in their next incarnation

Yarick Zan
20-04-2009, 20:29
I would like to see more allies. Something other than the Kroot and vespid. Maybe some sort of heavy support choice or elites. I kind of feel that the Tau's diversity is kind of missing from the codex. I'm surprised they didn't include the option for Gue'vessa (correct me on the spelling) in the codex. The vespid seem to be the wrong shot in the right direction to be honest. Some of the other races that have been said to be part of the empire would be good to see.

Mannimarco
20-04-2009, 21:00
true but i think GW want to keep this as a tau army with some allies and not "dogs of war in space" with a random collection of units

Inquisitor Engel
20-04-2009, 21:10
There were rumoured of some cavalry type unit that was considered for release in the last version (which eventually became the vespid),

Nope, they were, in fact, two different concepts.

Personally, I'd prefer to have more Kroot units in there. The Codex are moving towards a more homogenized approach, the ability to create an all Kroot or all Tau army or mix of the two (some units being mutually exclusive, no Tracker Kindreds with Sniper Drones or no Vulture Kindreds with Stealth Suits) would be really, really cool.

Mozzamanx
20-04-2009, 21:13
One ally I'd quite like to see is a big hulking brute, covered in armour and carrying a shield. Mixed directly into Fire Warrior squads, he basically takes the hits and acts as a meatshield, for the Greater Good of course. Also offering some degree of protection in an assault, possibly 2 S5 attacks.

In terms of appearance, I'm thinking very similar to this: http://th09.deviantart.com/fs10/300W/i/2006/100/6/4/__HALO___Hunter_by_Kamino185.jpg

Tyron
20-04-2009, 21:29
For alien allies they need something deadly in combat, an assassin type character/unit of somekind.

Failing that a fas,t hard hitting unit to help the Tau to counter fast units getting into the Tau line but to also crash into the enemy gun line.

Failing these, something shooty, even the Tau envy.

Vepr
20-04-2009, 21:29
One ally I'd quite like to see is a big hulking brute, covered in armour and carrying a shield. Mixed directly into Fire Warrior squads, he basically takes the hits and acts as a meatshield, for the Greater Good of course. Also offering some degree of protection in an assault, possibly 2 S5 attacks.

In terms of appearance, I'm thinking very similar to this: http://th09.deviantart.com/fs10/300W/i/2006/100/6/4/__HALO___Hunter_by_Kamino185.jpg

I think the tau need something to help with them with assault but meatshields in each unit might turn them into the gun line from hell.

Vepr
20-04-2009, 21:31
For alien allies they need something deadly in combat, an assassin type character/unit of somekind.

Failing that a fas,t hard hitting unit to help the Tau to counter fast units getting into the Tau line but to also crash into the enemy gun line.

Failing these, something shooty, even the Tau envy.

It might be kind of cool if they got those lizard merc guys from the Gaunt novels as allies. Decent in assault but with short range firepower.

Vepr
20-04-2009, 21:33
Dang wrong thread. lol

Tarquinn
20-04-2009, 21:37

That's actually a quite nice idea.

Col. Tartleton
20-04-2009, 21:56
My personal view is to have a core list of just Tau. (HERESY!)

Then give them special characters to allow for minorities... I mean allies.

By taking a Master Shaper (Anghor Prok) you can then replace units at will with their "equivalents" in the Kroot list. So if you want a Kroot presence you can take a Master Shaper as opposed to a Shas'el and thus have the option of taking Kroot troops in all slots.

By taking a Vespid Queen instead of a commander you can get some vespid units to supplement your Tau troops. (I'd drop Vespids personally, not from the fluff but from the list. They're not good and they aren't that cool. Human tau would have more options)

By taking a Gue'Vesa'O you can add Tau trained troops in to your list. They can allow for infantry platoons using lasguns and tau heavy/special weapons
and allow for a box of them to come out that look like Republican clone troops ;). A cross over Storm Trooper unit that can take a devil fish would replace Vespids well.

In the short term it may seem limiting because you end up without the ability to take units from every race, however it would allow you to build either an all tau, all mercenary, or a mix of tau and mercenary troops.

A squad of each race doesn't make sense in a non Apocalypse list anyway. A detachment of Tau "Handlers" attached to a Human, Kroot, or what have you would make more sense.

Yarick Zan
20-04-2009, 22:00
I once had the idea of what I called Heavy Fire Warriors. Essentially what they are is a Fire Warrior that felt they best served the greater good by being part of the infantry, even though they had the right to wear the battle suits. That being said, I made them have a burst cannon, and a bit better toughness and maybe save. I never got through the debate about weather they would be elites or troops (I said squads would be at 3-6) but I figure that is kind of what you are looking at.

Another problem I had was modeling them. I essentially wanted bigger, beefier Fire Warriors except on both shoulders they have the shoulder pad instead of one. They would also get some other sort of wargear options as well.

Raibaru
20-04-2009, 22:03
The thing I hated most about Tau when they came out was they couldn't really work out as an all tau force. I'd like to see something given to them that was Tau to fill in the sponge role for melee combat, or something fast to get in there before the gun line was hit that the drones just didn't get done right.

I haven't played in eons, and I don't have the Tau Empire book, just the original one that came out. But a FA choice that could take a ton of hits, or an elite/heavy choice designed to get gunners out of CC would be ideal in my opinion.

But I guess most like the Tau allies concept.

Yarick Zan
20-04-2009, 22:07
Another thing I would want to see (for Apocalypse mind you) is some sort of rather large (see super heavy) Tau fire support tank. A skimmer as is standard, but armed with some sort of ordinance or barrage weapon. Would be interesting at least to me.

Johnnyfrej
20-04-2009, 22:09
Personally, I'd prefer to have more Kroot units in there. The Codex are moving towards a more homogenized approach, the ability to create an all Kroot or all Tau army or mix of the two (some units being mutually exclusive, no Tracker Kindreds with Sniper Drones or no Vulture Kindreds with Stealth Suits) would be really, really cool.
Basically Wood Elves in space then? I like it. Especially if they include a tech tree to the army comp (if you take X HQ you unlock Y Elites etc.).

jason_sation
20-04-2009, 23:50
I'd like to play Tau. I really like the fluff and look. I wonder if they could do more drone units to fill in the meatshield aspect. I actually was thinking it would be cool if they had a "gentle giant" race to fill in a role similar to the Ogryn in IG. Maybe make him an actual Monstrous Creature. Something that is normally docile and shy except for when the Tau are in trouble.

Solar_Eclipse
21-04-2009, 00:12
From my Advanced 40k rules thread (Shameless plug, please take a look!)
(keep in mind that these rules are very incomplete)

Tau

Ethereal Caste Leader
Name Ws Bs St To Wo In At Ld Sv
Ethereal 4 3 3 3 3 3 2 10 -
representative 3 3 3 3 1 2 1 8 -
Unit: Ethereal+ 0-4 Representatives

Representatives must be one of each caste and there may not be more than 1 of each representative:

Fire Caste:
The Fire Caste representative is usually a very old Tau warrior, a veteran and strategist.
Allows D3 units to use the ‘Infiltrate’ rule, even vehicles.

Water caste:
Diplomats without Peer, the water caste help the tau while hinder the enemy deployment.
Tau units gain +1 to all reserve rolls while enemy units get -1 to all reserve rolls.

Earth Caste
Technology is the asset of the Tau, and the Earth castes presence means that there is some potent tech nearby.
Each shooting phase the Earth caste may choose a single enemy unit on the table, all Tau units firing at this unit will count it as having a markerlight hit, it is not removed till the end of the shooting phase.

Air Caste:
the presence of the Air caste on the ground means there will soon be retribution from the skies.
Each turn while the air caste is alive a space to ground weapon may be used. It hits any unit on the table with a single markerlight hit on it with the following profile:

Range: Unlimited, S9, Ap1, Heavy 1, Small blast, Lance, doesn’t scatter

Crisis suit unit
Suit 3 4 5 5 2 3 2 8 3+
Unit: Jet packs
Weapons: 2x Burst cannons (range: 12” S5 Ap5 heavy 5)
Upgrades:
May upgrade any weapon, taking pairs means they are twin linked.
Plasma Rifle- Range 12” S5 Ap2 heavy 2
Fusion blaster- Range 12” S6 Ap1 Heavy 1, melta, lance
Flame thrower- Range Template S5 Ap5 assault 1
Missile pod- range 18” S7 Ap4 Heavy 3
Cyclic Ion Blaster- Range: 12” S3 Ap3 Heavy 5, rending
Flechette blaster- Range: 18” S4 Ap4 Heavy 1, Large blast, no cover

Wargear:
Each suit may takeup to 2:
Multitracker- may fire 2 weapons in the shooting phase
Target lock- May fire at a different target from his squad and if it has 2 of the same weapons, they are no longer twin linked
Shield Generator- 4+ invulnerable save

Special Rules:
Crisis:
When Crisis suits deep strike, hey may reroll the scatter. they also cause pinning on that turn.

Vehicles upgrades:

Disruption Pods:
Vehicle gains a 4+ Cover save against shooting from outside of 12”

Shield Bubble generator:
All models within 3” of the vehicle gains a 4+ Invulnerable save

Targetting Matrix
All enemy units within 6” of the vehicle gain a single markerlight hit.

Seeker missile:
Range: 72” S8 Ap3 heavy1, small blast, doesn’t scatter

Tau Commander
Shas’O 4 5 5 5 3 3 3 10 3+
Shas’El 4 4 5 5 2 3 2 9 3+
Type: Jet Infantry
Options: All Commander Options are the same as a Crisis suit.
Restriction: Shas'O are 0-1

Philosophy:
Every Tau commander lives by his philosophy, the way they approach war and life is dictated by the Philosophy they have learnt. A single Tau Shas’O may take a single Philosophy.

Walk the Path alone
The Commander believes that the path to greatness is a solitary one. The sanctity of the Monat is his method.

Crisis suit squads may not be taken, Shas’El’s become Elites and Fast Attack Choices.

Strike with the Killing blow.
The Commander believes that only a single strike should be necessary.

Pathfinders gain Infiltrate, All devilfish are allowed to outflank and if a 6 is rolled on any reserves roll, ALL reserves come on that turn.

Be the Patient Hunter.
The Commander believes that acting the Patient hunter is the way to get the upper hand.

Fire warriors gain +1 to their BS when not rapid Firing, The Tau deploy last, but automatically get the first turn.

Aggression leads to swift Victory
Pioneered by Commander Farsight, this philosophy emphasises the power of attack at close range and aggressiveness.

Fire warriors can rapid fire at 18” range, rather than the usual 12” range, even when moving.
Crisis suits can move 12” in the movement phase as well as 6” in the assault phase if they choose to not fire.

Lead with Courage and Conviction
Mastered by Commander Shadowsun, the belief is that a motivated force is one who will fight to the very end.

Every Tau unit gains the ‘Stubborn’ Special rule and units within 6” of the Commander are Fearless.

Earth Caste Drone battlesuits:
Drone Suit2 2 6 5 3 2 3 X 3+
Type: Infantry
Wargear: Burst cannons
Unit: 1-10 Drone Suits

Special Rules:
Rage, stubborn
Combined Intelligence: Ld is equal to how many drone suits in the unit, minimum 4.
Earth Caste: are 0-1 unless an Earth Caste Representative is in the army.

So yeah, im a 'Tau supremacist' so far :P ill be buffing the other races and maybe adding more, but for the Meatshield idea im using the Earth caste Drone Battlesuits.

MajorWesJanson
21-04-2009, 02:04

I'm already doing a covenant themed Tau force. It's lots of fun. Shas'O r'myr makes a good hunter model.

SimonL
21-04-2009, 02:22
I quite like the idea of the Tau as an "alien coalition" type army. Gives it a better theme than "blue guys with guns". Have some sort of rule that makes a minimum 50% Tau units as they are the founding species.