PDA

View Full Version : Using might to modify rolls

krashreed
20-04-2009, 19:55
I was under the impression that if a hero with a unit of archers expends one might point during shooting after rolling all of the hits from his archers he could potentially change more of the dice into success.

For instance one company of MT Archers shoots and needs a 5+ to wound and I roll 1,2,2,3,3,4,5,5,6,6. After this roll I could spend one might point to make all of my rolls hit on a 4+ instead wounding with 5 dice instead of 4 or if I spend two might points all of my rolls hit on 3+ with 7 dice wounding.

There has been some school of thought in our local gaming club that you would have to spend one might point per die point that you wanted to change the result for. Meaning that in order to make all of my 3's and 4's wound in the above example I would have to spend 5 might points. So, it would take 1 might point for the 4 to make it a five. Two might points for each 3 to make them five's.

Their logic for this is that on the page discussing might uses it states you spend might to modify a "single dice" roll. In which they think it is a typo since you can't have single dice. My take on it is that a single dice roll would be one attack from an entire formation.

Does anyone have a different take on this subject?

Garoth
20-04-2009, 20:31
There has been some school of thought in our local gaming club that you would have to spend one might point per die point that you wanted to change the result for. Meaning that in order to make all of my 3's and 4's wound in the above example I would have to spend 5 might points. So, it would take 1 might point for the 4 to make it a five. Two might points for each 3 to make them five's.

That is the correct way to do it. Rules state that Might can be used to modify "a single dice score", so only one of the dice is affected by use on a single Might point.

Their logic for this is that on the page discussing might uses it states you spend might to modify a "single dice" roll. In which they think it is a typo since you can't have single dice.

Why not? I'm missing your point here.

My take on it is that a single dice roll would be one attack from an entire formation.

No, that is clearly multible dice rolls.

Llew
20-04-2009, 20:32
First off, be aware that the WotR rulebook uses the word "dice" as the singular form of "dice", instead of "die". For grammar nazis like me, it's a bit of an annoyance.

In other words, don't read too much into the phrase "single dice".

Garoth
20-04-2009, 20:38
OK, that must be the point I missed. I have been under impression that "a die" and "a dice" are both correct singular forms that can be used to mean exactly the same thing.